Spond discusses retirement due to hemiplegic migraines

Aug 20, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT

Danny Spond

A year after being hospitalized from the same ailment during preseason camp, Notre Dame linebacker Danny Spond has been forced to walk away from football because of hemiplegic migraines. After missing last season’s two opening games as medical experts tried to diagnose Spond’s mysterious ailment, another bout with the crippling headaches during fall camp ended Spond’s career.

“My football playing career is over after suffering another paralyzing migraine early in fall camp,” Spond said in a statement. “I’ve received the best medical treatment and guidance possible. Unfortunately, an exact cause of these migraines remains undetermined, and in order to assure my overall well-being, I’m forced to walk away from the game with an extremely heavy heart.”

Head coach Brian Kelly discussed Spond’s decision to retire from the game as a player over the weekend, but did say he’ll stay around with the team as a student-coach, working with the drop linebackers throughout the season. Notre Dame also released additional information on the rare form of headache with a debilitating effect.

“Hemiplegic migraines are a rare form of headache that present with temporary stroke-like symptoms, such as weakness and slurred speech,” head football team physician Dr. Jennifer Malcolm released in the same statement. “Danny has suffered from a series of these migraines, but with medication, rehabilitation and a positive attitude he should avoid any long-term consequences. As there are no fully reliable predictors of hemiplegic migraines and ultimate prevention is extremely challenging, we fully support Danny.”

Last year, Spond spent time in a local South Bend hospital after his first headache, unable to walk after a collision in practice. First diagnosed as a serious concussion and rumored to be a stroke, Spond spent time seeing specialists from all around the country before he was properly diagnosed. That he suffered another serious migraine during training camp was just too much of a health risk, forcing him to walk away after fighting so valiantly to return last season.

Spond’s departure leaves a hole in the Irish starting lineup, but won’t leave a void in a locker room that won’t lose the senior leader. The Littleton, Colorado native who was a Rockne Scholar Athlete Award recipient gave a statement that showed you the type of person he is, with his faith holding strong as he tackles his latest challenge.

“This has been an incredibly difficult time for me and my family, but by the Grace of God, we can find comfort in His greater plan. Being a man of God and an ambassador for his word, I have come to realize that in times of questioning His plan you have to let go and let God take over, and that is what I am doing. I’ve played this game my entire life, and losing it makes me feel as if I have lost something inside. But I find comfort in knowing my Lord will open the next chapter in my life and fill what’s been taken.

“I want to sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank each and every person who has supported me and my career at Notre Dame for their thoughts and prayers. You are the greatest people and fans in this world and make Notre Dame the most righteous University that I could ever represent; I love each and every one of you so very much. I promise to continue to give all I can to this University this year by coaching my position and providing senior leadership in all ways. You may no longer hear my name on the field, but I promise you, this is not the last you will hear of Danny Spond. With God, my family, and Notre Dame, I will persevere to do great things.”

1. Hakuna Budi - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Thanks for the update Keith. Two things: First, getting professional treatment from your coaches and the medical staff is why kids go to ND. Second, this sucks, but I hope Danny Spond becomes one hell of a football coach one day and in 20 years we are talking about Coach Spond and how he takes care of this players.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Poor guy…I feel ya Danny boy. I have a similar condition called quitcocainemigraine. Focking headaches killing me. Thank god for treximet. I dunno what I’d do without it.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yeah I let god take over too all he did was give me agitation and migraines. I am about to try the Buddha, no not the kind LSU n Alabama worships.

2. seanb20124 - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Tough break for someone that appears to be a good kid.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Yeah I agree. He is white so probably fairly safe to say that.

• nudeman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM

LOFL

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Not named manziel because some Obama inside the irish doofus will turn this into race issue

• mcirish27 - Aug 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hey dick, AND nude – shut the f**k up.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

ok inside the irish obama doofus

3. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

if i ever had a headache that paralyzed me, i’d never play football, ski, or even ride a bike again. but this kid spent a week in a hospital bed and then came back, put the pads back on and played an entire year of football, and then spring and summer ball before he finally decided that that was all he could take. what a tough kid and one that will do great things in his life, whether in football or otherwise.

god bless danny spond and his family.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Try following the grateful dead around, eating god knows how many sheets of rat poison, then move onto nightclubbing popping ecstasy pills and snorting coke n fingering escorts while chain smoking for about 20 years. You’ll get one of these and there ain’t nothin you can do because he prolly gave then to us for a reason.

Well at least I didn’t miss out on 2 years of nd football.

• nudeman - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM

dick
        A DeadHead?
        God bless you my son.

“Daddy made whiskey and he made it well,
        Cost two dollars and it burned like hell”

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Yeah I totally regret it now. I wish I was a library head although I did get a head in the library once. I was more of drivin that train, high on cocaine, Casey jones you better watch your speed…

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Oh I forgot about all the nitrous tanks…Jesus Christ I’m such a focking loser. My brains totally fried. Gosh no wonder why I’m such a miserable son of a gun. Boy what id do to get all them dopamine s back.

Seriously, them migraines are no joke. I feel for Danny. I wish they’d stop all the funding for AIDS and use it for cure for syphillis and migraines. The world would be such a better place. For you and for me and for entire human race.

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

“Set out running but I take my time , the friend of the devil is a friend of mine”

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

“I sat down to my supper, ’twas a bottle of red whiskey
        Said my prayers and went to bed and that’s the last they saw of me”

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Yeh we’ve taken over and made this great full dead fan board. “Laid back in an old saloon with a paseo in my hands, just watching flies and children on the street”.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I was at THE final dead show where they played unbroken chain at soldier field. beat that!!! fun times but I still wish I hadn’t.

didn’t realize there were so many former ND druggies like myself out there. Hiiiighhhh fiiiiiiiieeeeee***BORAT****

• audomer - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hey Dick! Thanks for shedding light on the reason you apparently have no functioning brain cells.

The only people who find you amusing are yourself and the other A-hole, Nude

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

“Then a man rolled into town, some thought he was the law
      Billie Jean was waiting when he came;
      She told me he would take her if I didn’t use my gun,
      So I have no one but myself to blame
      I went down to those dusty streets ….”

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Nude, let’s get together and shoot heroin together, RIGHT NOWWWW!!!

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Boy I’m reliving a lot o high scool right now, was after the peak of the dead, but still enjoy their tunes.

“Is there anything a man don’t stand to loose, when the devil wants to take it all away

4. NotreDan - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Dick bro, knock it off. Not funny on this thread.

If you shut up now I’ll buy you some new needles and a ron Jeremy pump kit

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Daniel son, you didn’t just call me needle dick, did ya? Haven’t heard that one.

5. irishpuma - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM

You don’t think dick already has all that stuff and a whole lot more?? Give the man some credit.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Puma swede, love ya babe!

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Puma I gave all that stuff up along w cocaine n escorts. It’s no fun when you are just left with the videos n double sided dildos n gag balls. I realized coca one n escorts are really what made those come alive. Time to retire, *sigh***

• papadec - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Our own AROD wannabe – all about me, me, me. Pathetic.

• bernhtp - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Dick,

Here is a link to the whereabouts of one of your progeny, legitimate or otherwise. He is certainly a chip off the old block.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Hey bern….
        Volkan the Intruder is an even better screen name than dickasman. I vote that we all start referring to him as such. At the very least, it may refer to something he keeps in his bag of tricks.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Bernsie, you just gave up your age w that government crap my grandpa would read. Here I thought you were Brad Pitt in “the river runs through it” days…

6. mattymill - Aug 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The last 2 paragraphs (Spond’s quote) exemplify the type of person Danny Spond is. If that is what Kelly refers to as a RKG, then sign me up for 20 of those each year.

7. kazmar619 - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I had these same migraines. It turned out to be some specific chemicals in the food I was eating: MSG, nitrates/nitrides, and sodium citrate. It took me about 10 years to find this out. The sodium citrate was the last and hardest for me to find. The doctors and medical community for some reason do not believe it is chemicals and never give any credence to this. It is hard to find out what chemicals are doing this because the migraine might only show up after a sufficient amount of the chemical is in your body. Danny if you read this, start reading the labels on what you are eating, and cut out the chemicals above. Other chemicals might be causing your migraines but you need to start looking for what chemicals in the food you are eating that are causing your migraines.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

No more hot dogs. Who ever thought they were good for you anyway?

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Kazmar, stop putting down asians. Anyways, I am pretty buff healthy guy. I eat some garbage here and there. I was on all salad, tuna, cottage diet and all it gave me was 6 pack abs and neck and back pain. with me its not diet but rather stress. starts from neck/shoulder then to my eyes and then im half dead. Although, unfortunately red wine/alcohol so I’ve given up all of my vices including smoking which is why I am such a hot head these days. I’ve never had migraines until I stopped partying. I try to do good and still end up with bad. Life sucks.

8. almoose - Aug 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Danny get well! Don’t take the negative stuff on this page as representative of the true ND followers. God Bless ND and the Kids playing Ball!

9. 25kgold - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I think BK shut ALL updates down! Smart man; with less than two weeks to go–it’s time to turn up the focus and close the world out!

10. deaconjack - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

What a pathetic series of comments by dick assman.

• papadec - Aug 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM

That’s what I said – he’s all about me, me, me – with his depraved fantasies & the puke he spews all over this website. I thought, for awhile there, that he had cleaned up his act – but no. I can’t comprehend how his family lives with him – if this is the way he really is. I can only guess that this is his fantasy world to release whatever crap he has to endure in the real world. In any case, I pray he gets help – he’s one very sick individual.

• nudeman - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Maybe I’m jaded but he makes me laugh. There is only so much football one can discuss at this point – everything has been sliced and diced, all tape has been broken down, and we have everything short of nude locker room photos. Nothing wrong with a little off-the-rails humor.

11. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

dick’s comments make me think that either he fell off the wagon and his sponsor was out of the country, or that charlie sheen hacked his account.

12. deaconjack - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Hey nudeman try thinking about what it is to be a real man. A real man is not defined by a smutty mouth.