Aug 22, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Brian Kelly officially confirmed the news of a serious knee injury to defensive lineman Tony Springmann, ending the season for the junior before it started. Last year Springmann was a valuable reserve up front and looked to play an even bigger role as the first defensive lineman off the bench.
Without Springmann, it looks like junior Ishaq Williams will spend more time with his hand on the ground, a transition that feels natural for the former five-star recruit. But with Chase Hounshell already lost for the season with a shoulder injury, Kelly also conceded that freshman Isaac Rochelle will see time immediately, with fifth year senior Tyler Stockton also likely getting his shot to fill the void.
Kelly described Springmann’s injury as a dislocation with severe ligament damage. Rumors had spread that the injury was an ACL tear, but Kelly called it a bit more rare, but felt confident that Springmann will make a complete recovery.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64