Aug 22, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Brian Kelly officially confirmed the news of a serious knee injury to defensive lineman Tony Springmann, ending the season for the junior before it started. Last year Springmann was a valuable reserve up front and looked to play an even bigger role as the first defensive lineman off the bench.
Without Springmann, it looks like junior Ishaq Williams will spend more time with his hand on the ground, a transition that feels natural for the former five-star recruit. But with Chase Hounshell already lost for the season with a shoulder injury, Kelly also conceded that freshman Isaac Rochelle will see time immediately, with fifth year senior Tyler Stockton also likely getting his shot to fill the void.
Kelly described Springmann’s injury as a dislocation with severe ligament damage. Rumors had spread that the injury was an ACL tear, but Kelly called it a bit more rare, but felt confident that Springmann will make a complete recovery.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12