Kelly makes a Dan Patrick Show appearance

Aug 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT

TheDanPatrickShow

With game week upon us, Brian Kelly made a stop by the Dan Patrick Show, answering some interesting questions and shedding some new light on a few subjects. As usual, DP asked some great questions — “Who will you miss more, Manti Te’o or Everett Golson” for one — and it’s worth the ten minute listen.

Things got particularly interesting when Patrick cited a report where an NFL source called this season a “thirteen-game NFL job interview.” Kelly laughed it off, saying that’s the world a successful college coach lives in.

“I think I’ll get a lot of that,” Kelly said. “It comes with the territory of being a winning football coach. Whether it’s at Oklahoma or Ohio State.”

When pressed on the allure of the NFL, Kelly was candid about his “intrigue” in the Eagles job, while also saying he wasn’t even sure if the job was going to be offered to him. He also made a statement that should make a lot of Irish fans happy.

“I don’t think that I would feel like I’ve missed something or be unsatisfied in any way,” Kelly said. “If I got a chance to end my career at Notre Dame, I would not feel like I’d have missed something.”

(In reality, if Kelly retires as Notre Dame’s coach, it’ll likely be after a statue is erected outside the stadium and the Irish have finally won another national title. Because if history is any reminder, not too many people retire from this job. They’re fired.)

Last interesting tidbit, Kelly mentioned the upcoming playoff. While athletic director Jack Swarbrick has sounded confident that a four team playoff is all that’s in the works, the Irish head coach thought that it was just a matter of time before the playoff expands to eight teams.

“I don’t have any first hand information, but if you’re asking me for my opinion, eight is right around the corner,” Kelly said.

***

1. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

completely unrelated to ND football; this sunday’s NYT Magazine had a profile of John Clayton who claims that when Dan Patrick left ESPN he started a rumor that Clayton has a secret ponytail that can’t be seen because of the special camera angles. that dan patrick, such a kidder.

2. irishaggie - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

In my opinion Brian Kelly will be a coach in NFL sooner than later. Like he said, it comes with the territory. I know Brian says he loves Notre Dame, but if the right situation presents itself he will take it. Most people will take a higher paying job, thats just how it is. I am a big ND fan, and wish he would stay here for as long as theyre good. He’s laying a good foundation though, and I think if he ever does decide to transition to the NFL, Jack will hire someone of his caliber, because Jack will now know the type of coach needed at ND. Like I said i hope he stays as long as possible, but if he does go I am thankful of him bringing back ND football.

3. kiopta1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I don’t know what Coach Brian Kelly wants to do in the future but I think he sees how different NFL and College ball is from a HC point of view. Some coaches love the mentorship of young athletes, some like the family atmo of places like ND. I think that matters to him but that doesn’t mean he never explores the NFL. #1 is and should be winning at ND regardless of NFL phone calls. Go Irish!

4. clearwall - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

First thing out of BK’s mouth should have been “Thanks Dan, 5-10 215″

• 9irish - Aug 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

“First time caller…” Ding!

5. jem5b - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Keith, the successful ones burn out.
    Leahy, Ara, Divine, Holtz. The life span is 10 years, the demands are enormous, ND is this country’s National University.
    It has been forever and a day, it was the reason The Military Academy, Earl Blaik, finally ended the series, it aggravated Blaik no end that the Army was always the least favorite team when they met.

6. fnc111 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Kelly will be the next Detroit Lions head coach.

7. kiopta1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Fnc- I doubt he will but as a lions fan I would like it.

8. irishdodger - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I like DP, but he wasn’t too impressive in his ND knowledge. He kept pronouncing Golson as Gholston & when referencing the loss of Cierre Wood he referred to “Woods”. My take was that he assumed since Rees was going to be QB & Eifert was gone that their offense was going to be a non-factor. He obviously has no idea of their depth at RB.

• 9irish - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Thank you, I caught that, too. DP is pretty squared away, well prepared…the whole “Golson” thing just seems to escape everybody.

9. mediocrebob - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Bet he isn’t the next Lions HC.

I think he will be in the NFL but not in the next 2 years. But having said that, FNC IS NEVER WRONG… (Crickets)

• andy44teg - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM

mediocrebob
      correction: FNC is USUALLY NEVER wrong. Big difference there. It’s similar to being USUALLY ALWAYS right, which is how fnc likes to think of himself. Makes sense to me, anyways!

10. nudeman - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I desperately WANT to believe BK is in it for the long haul

But I don’t.

Sorry.

Last year’s dalliance with the Eagles was so telling, I’m afraid I’ll never believe what he says on this subject

Will be gone within 2-3 years

• irishaggie - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I’m on the same boat nude. I have come to terms with the fact that he will take an NFL job, and I too don’t believe him on this subject. Brian Kelly is an ambitious man and will want to test the waters.

• bernhtp - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Kelly will do what is best for him, which is his primary/sole consideration. With that said, he:

1. Knows that most successful college coaches don’t do well in the NFL and will particularly watch Chip Kelly during the next few years.

2. Won’t repeat the poorly time/executed dalliance with the NFL. He will have an offer he wants to take by the time of his next interview.

3. Understands that he currently holds the top job in college football. If he goes to the NFL and fails, his next step will be a big step down.

Swarbrick knows all of this and is no rube. My bet is that his contract holdup is all about the size and wording of the poison pill an NFL team would need to swallow to hire Kelly. It will make Kelly far less attractive. I also bet that it contains a clause allowing Notre Dame to terminate immediately if he interviews with the NFL (again).

• nudeman - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Hmmm.

Agree about the poison pill; hadn’t thought about immediate termination. That actually makes eminent sense for ND to want that, and it makes sense that that might be the hold up. And in BK’s defense it makes sense that he’d want to resist both, especially the latter.

All BK has said so far is “we have an agreement in principle”.

I still think there is an issue(s) here and it’s not a guarantee he signs this thing.
        It’s very strange that we are now 4 days from kickoff and still no contract.
        Not good, IMO

• bernhtp - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

This is pure speculation on my part based upon what I would want if I were Swarbrick, especially in the context of previous issues. The speculation also stems from the unusually long negotiation period.

There is likely a large carrot and an equally large stick that make it very profitable for Kelly to stay and very costly to leave.

• papadec - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

bern – I would hope so! I f he’s lying, make him/them pay on the way out the door.

11. yaketyyacc - Aug 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM

seems like the daisy routine, he will stay at Notre Dame, he will not… etc. his past gives him away, a jumper for sure. still, the loss to Alabama, the ignominious loss to Saban, has to be rectified. he’ll stay. and when he moves on it will be to the New England Patriots.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

ignominious!?!% well done working that word into a football discussion.

i hadn’t heard the BK/Patriots theory before, but something about it, and i’m not sure what, makes real sense with that theory. in any event, i don’t think BK makes his move until 2-3 more years and until he has either won the NCG or at least has come very close and in doing so, is able to show that 2012 wasn’t an accident or just a confluence of fortunate calls/non-calls for ND.

when i look at the personnel for the next 2-3 years, it looks to me loaded with enough potential to blossom into a team that doesn’t just squeak by, but that dominates games on both sides of the ball.

12. shaunodame - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM

This Kelly to the NFL situation is NEVER going to simply go away, and I think we, as ND Fans, are all now wise to this fact. But at the same time, this is not a simple “you do well in College, you can do the same in the NFL” situation. Names like, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and even our beloved Lou Holtz have shown us that being a HC in the NFL is SOOO MUCH different than being a college coach. Maybe it is for Brian Kelly, but then again maybe it isn’t, but either way the rumors arent going anywhere.

Hopefully Brian Kelly can learn from Saban and Co. and realize how good College coaches have it. At this level they are the HC, the GM, the Scouting Director, and a ton of other areas that they have complete control over. Often times in the NFL, when this vast array of control is stripped and these coaches are left to just “cook the dinner” and not “shop for the groceries” (to take a line from Bill Parcells) the success they had at the College level often falls by the wayside.

Who knows If or When coach Kelly will “take the next step in his career”. But, if that were ever to really come to fruition (and this is purely hypothetical now), I would really hope the Irish promote from within, with someone like Bob Diaco or Chuck Martin. I truly believe both of those guys have proven their chops, and its only a matter of time before one or both of them are running a program of their own.

A lot food for thought and hypotheticals here. Having said all of this, it really reminds me how lucky we as Irish fans are to have a Head Coach of Kelly’s caliber. Go Irish!

• almoose - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Shaunodome some good points. Guess we will wait and see. I too would like to see an insider get the job if Kelly goes. Well until then it will be fun to see the kids do well again this year with less distractions. Go Irish!

13. jem5b - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

A terrific article in Forbes magazine on the iconic ND brand.

14. 25kgold - Aug 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It’s official–the depth chart is here:

15. almoose - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I am with most of you in your comments. I would hope Kelly would stay but think he will be gone next year. He seems to jump ship about every three years and is interested in the NFL. That aside he has built some depth and the Defense has progressed. Good Luck Irish I hope you take them all!