Aug 27, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Safety Chris Badger is no longer a part of Notre Dame’s football program. Per a report from Jake Brown of IrishIllustrated.com, the reserve safety has left the program and plans to enroll at BYU.
The Provo, Utah native was originally recruited by Charlie Weis, enrolled early for spring practice then went on a two-year Mormon mission. He returned to the program last summer and did not play last season, saving a year of eligibility.
Per Jay Drew, the BYU beat writer for the Salt Lake Tribune, Badger will attempt to gain immediate eligibility this season. Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune adds that the appeal will hinge on the health of Badger’s mother, who is ill and unable to travel. (BYU is in Badger’s hometown.)
The Irish depth chart looked ominous for Badger, who was buried deep behind some talented safeties. When Badger enrolled early in South Bend, there was no two-deep depth chart to speak of, with Badger joining a position group that included only Dan McCarthy, Harrison Smith, Jamoris Slaughter and Zeke Motta as returning scholarship players. Compare that to today, where the Irish opened camp with eight scholarship safeties, with Badger at or near the bottom of that group.
BYU starts classes on Tuesday. If the NCAA allows Badger to play this season, it’ll create the unique circumstance of having a player go through all of training camp with a team that he’ll compete against later that season.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU (52)
- Golson talks about transfer (though what he doesn’t say is more interesting) (38)
- Hegarty to play out eligibility at Oregon (31)
- Irish still trying to find the right answers at safety (29)
- KeiVarae Russell takes to social media to announce his return (28)