Live Blog: Notre Dame vs. Michigan

Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EST

Rees Kelly

Back under the lights again in Ann Arbor, Notre Dame will look to make their final visit to the Big House a memorable one. With Tommy Rees piloting the offense again, the defense will trade Denard Robinson for Devin Gardner, the former maybe a little less dangerous with his feet, but a far better thrower.

We’re here live in Ann Arbor to take in the big game. Like we did last week, we’ll be joined by the guys over at Irish Illustrated during the chat, hoping to bring you some additional insight (and comfort in numbers) as the Irish try to get over their first big hurdle of the season.

Keep it clean, keep it positive, and let’s have some fun.

***

1. alwayspositive11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Don’t worry guys. We’re still the best. Undefeated the rest of the way and a BCS bowl. Go Irish!

• c4evr - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:40 AM

OK, you now have to change your name to ‘alwaysfacetious11′ with posts like that…

• alwayspositive11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Actually, I wasn’t being facetious, but I just laughed really hard when I saw your reply. It looks like I’m being completely facetious. Oops. You can’t convey emotion through print.

• bigfootsdick - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Swarbrick and BK spoon all night

• dickasman - Sep 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Hey cuz, word up g?

2. seadomer - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM

The better team won tonight … nothing to see here.

Here’s me trying to be positive, we still can be BCS bound, cheers … my 4th no wait 5th drink…. ok will read more 2moro

3. ndirish10 - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

always positive, I like your way of thinking, glass half full. unlike sinister’s glass is always broken approach. 10 straight wins may indeed punch NDs ticket to Pasadena. I’m catholic so I’ll pray on it. Go Irish! Beat the boilermakers!

4. irishdodger - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

IMO, CBK still is of the MAC/BIG EAST mindset where he thinks he has to fling it around the yard in spread formation. Dude, you’re at Notre Dame w/ a bevy of talented RBs & a stout OL. Run it down their throat from the first drive on & establish your dominance. But…..noooooo…you want to get cute and fling it around like your three TDs behind. ND ran the ball 19 times…that’s ridiculous considering the talent.

5. goirishgo - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I am stunned by how this defense played. Absolutely stunned. So disappointing.

6. irishaggie - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM

We will be fine folks. The defense played bad but Michigan played a hell of a game as well. They had everything clicking. Their timing, their protection, their play calls. We only had 19 run plays but its because we found ourselves down 10-0 before we knew we had arrived in Ann Arbor. Winning on the road in College Football is extremely difficult. Florida lost, Texas got blown out, South Carolina lost. Its a good thing this was our second game. We will win our next 9 games and head to Stanford to secure a BCS bid.

By the way Stanford is only up 17-6 on San Jose State in the 3rd.

• c4evr - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM

You contradict yourself. Michigan didn’t play all that well. Gardner was off on a number of passes and their play calling only LOOKED good because ND was flat and a step slow. Then you say it’s hard to win on the road but end by saying the Irish will win out – which is it? And where’s your evidence, besides unbridled loyalty, to support your claim that ND will run the table?

• irishaggie - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Michigan played well. Go look at Gardner and Gallon’s stats and that answers itself. You’re giving them no credit. There is a reason they were 5 point favorites at time of kickoff.

Im not contradicting myself. Have you seen our schedule?? Our toughest games beside Stanford are at home. If you want me to get all technical so you can understand. “It is tough to win on the road against ranked teams”. There. Maybe you’ll get the message now.

I’m not being overly optimistic I actually called them losing this game. The Irish will win out up until the Stanford game. USC just lost to WSU and Oklahoma barely beat a bad West Virginia team. didnt say they would win at Stanford. But if they are 10-1 heading into that game, win or lose they will get a BCS bid.

Hit me up when you’re winning 71% of your sports bets on a consistent basis, and then we can debate football.

• c4evr - Sep 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Sports betting, that explains it. Look for that 71% to take a real hit if you put money on BK to run the table.

7. 25kgold - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

There’s certain losses where a team can get better from (the National Championship throttling against bama), then there’s losses where a team just LOST! I don’t see ND getting better from this experience. Is ND still a good team? Of course! However, I didn’t want to believe it last week, but this years ND team gave us a glimpse into who they really are this week…Tonight was the coming out party. The year just started and I already want it to end.

8. paulhargis53 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Not a Michigan fan.Just really hate ND and their arrogant fanbase.

Quit making excuses! That interception was out of bounds.

Your team got beat plain and simple. Quit whining and etch for Gods sake!

• c4evr - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

But you are a fan of non sequiturs, I see. I’m sorry, etch? You want us to carve something?? Or is that etch, as in Etch A Sketch?

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Yeah, I didn’t get that either. Etch. Is this some fad their doing in Ann Arbor that the rest of the world doesn’t know about?

9. dickasman - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Wow our defense stinks. Who are these guys? Playing uninspired D. Diaco better light a fire under their ass. I don’t know I think it’s gonna be a crappy year.

10. ndirish10 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

on a positive note, sc lost tonight.

11. seadomer - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Before I check out … USC lost !! damn it

12. packhawk04 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:54 AM

On the PI call, both were looking back for the ball. Gallon stopped to try and make a play on it, defender pushed him out of the way. That’s pretty fundamental pass interference, whether or not the defender is looking for the ball.

13. irishlee10 - Sep 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Need to get Malik Zaire some playing time while the season still has value. Offense looked very 2 dimensional and I love tommy but he can’t throw at all on the run or when he’s getting flushed from the pocket

14. fnc111 - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

The Kelly/Rees tandem is taking ND back to the 2003 or 2011 hell year category. Why couldn’t they just tutor Golson????????? I despise Kelly.