Irish turn the page to Purdue

Sep 10, 2013, 2:35 PM EST

Tommy Rees, Amir Carlisle AP

It might not be as easy for fans, but with a football game this Saturday night in another hostile road environment, Brian Kelly and the Irish have turned the page on the loss to Michigan.

The Irish, who slid to No. 21 in the polls while Michigan jumped to No. 11, will prepare for Darrell Hazell’s Purdue squad, a team that took the Irish to the brink last year in a squeaky early season victory that required Tommy Rees to come on in relief.

Kelly spoke with the gathered media today, answering more questions about the Michigan game than what lies ahead, but did give clarity to a few burning questions Irish fans had. As we discussed yesterday, Kelly got into the particulars of the offensive play-calling, talking about the decision to throw the ball nearly three-quarters of the time last Saturday.

“There’s eight guys on the line of scrimmage. If the box is plus‑one and plus‑two, there’s not much of a running game,” Kelly explained. “When we had two‑shell and we had the ability to run the ball, we ran the ball effectively. And then we got behind. We were down two scores.  We had to speed the game up and throw the football.”

Falling behind was a product of a lack of execution on both sides of the football. And while this loss aggravated some of the Kelly detractors who have gone back to their bedrock argument of running the football and focusing on old-school (and somewhat archaic) fundamentals, Kelly was candid about how he wants to play the game.

“I want balance just like everybody else in America wants balance,” Kelly said. “But look, we have to throw the ball effectively when we are called upon to throw the ball and we have to run the ball effectively when we are called upon to run effectively.

“Balance is this panacea that everyone looks for, but you need to win football games and whatever it takes to win football games, we’d better be good at it.  We’d better be good at scoring points running the ball, and we’d better be good at throwing the ball when the situations call for it.”

1. irishaggie - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I know it’s another road game in a hostile environment but it wont be hostile too long. I’m not bagging on Purdue to make fun of them but they are a very bad team.

3rd down efficiency is 29%
    4 Point victory over Indiana State
    Limited QB
    Cincinnati rushed for 221 and had a 60% 3rd down efficiency on them.

Needless to say this game wont be close. I still dont think Vegas will give the Irish much of an edge. The lines haven’t come out yet, but when they do I expect Vegas to have ND at -18 or so.

If BK sees that Cincinnati rushed for 221 on Purdue I guarantee he will try to beat that.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I will just take a w anyway, any score. Just make it a w.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Please stop comparing us to cincinnati’s high octane powered offense. Thank you.

~The Tommy Rees~

2. irishdodger - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Notre Dame had 30 first down plays on Saturday. Of these 30 plays, 23 were passing and 7 rushing. Of the 23 passes, 12 were incomplete resulting in 2nd and 10. On the 7 rushing plays, they averaged 8.3 yards per carry and were never worse than 2nd and 6.

If that’s not glaring, I don’t know what is. IMHO, ND beats Michigan if they come out running between the tackles eventually setting up play action. If we had Golson, the pass-to-run ration likely isn’t a big debate. But we have Rees who is pure drop back & immobile. He could maximize his potential if he had a run game to set up the PA.

• NotreDan - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Your analysis, while accurate, does not include the corresponding defensive formation for each of the 30 first down plays.

If you believe Kelly, there would have been plus 1 or 2 in the box on 23 of those 30 plays.

My bigger gripe is finding a creative way to “run” when the box is stacked. As my good buddy Nude said… the play calling in unimaginative, particularly considering the athletes we have that are good in space. Maybe a power running formation? How about a screen? How about some clearing routes combined with some quick underneath throws (hello, Tight End U?).

Maybe the issue is Martin. Maybe the issue is BK pulled the plug on Chuck. Who knows.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

The way defense has been playing this year has me pretty confusing. I thought they would be very stout, at the least. Best analogy from personal experience to draw from is that one time when I was at a cocaine fueled orgy in the semi dark and somebody licked my corn hole and it felt unbelievably good. I turned around and there was 2 chicks and one guy that possibly could’ve done the dirty deed. Lets just say that left me very confused and I walked away hoping and praying that it was the blonde, just as I hope that the defense wakes up and start playing better.

Having looked back on the experience, I had my doubts, even til this day.

• c4evr - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I’m really hoping the moral of that story is ‘If someone licks your cornhole, never turn around, just enjoy it’.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Yes and don’t forget our defense stinks as much as my corn hole right now. Speaking of corn holes, I really have the taste for some corn nuts right now.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Thanks dick, I now have lachanophobia thinking about your lachanophilia.

• keelio19 - Sep 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

@ irishdodger

That’s an interesting analysis, it’s almost like you came up with all of that on your own. Oh wait, you stole that straight from Mike Franks power hour. Good info nonetheless.

One thing with the way our defense is playing this year, I don’t see Diaco getting as many coaching offers as he did or was getting last year.

3. irishdodger - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Also, since it’s obvious that Kelly/Martin both are of the pass first philosophy, then Rees better be hovering around a 70% completion rate which is not what we saw Saturday night. That’s a lot of pressure on a athletically limited QB. Put him in the best situation to succeed and he can. Otherwise, it’s looking like we’re headed back to a W/L record of the 8-4 variety.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Revelation?

• bowser75 - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

So Rees has to throw the ball and catch it too? Because between Atkinson and Carlisle there’s like 6 dropped passes. Saw Theisman throw a pass and catch it against USC. That game didn’t turn out so well.

4. ndcanuck - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Part of the pass-first focus has got to be a reflection of Kelly knowing he doesn’t have the same D as last year. You can have patience and grind the clock (even when you’re down in the first half) if you believe the D will get you ball back after a long, slow drive. Without that safety blanket, Kelly is clearly of the mind that he’s gotta throw it and run up tempo to stay with good teams. 0 for 1 with that approach so far, but we’ll see down the road.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Kelly clearly stated in his press conference that he understands that he can’t run an up tempo offense with TR because that type of offense typically lends itself to a QB with the ability to run.

5. Seamus - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Defending this offense isn’t going to be as difficult for teams moving forward. If there is anything that we’ve seen it’s that they don’t, won’t and shouldn’t see TR as a threat. Yeah, I know thanks for the insight Captain Obvious. If you look back to the 2011 season, with TR at QB you can stuff the run and then on obvious passing downs drop 7 or 8 into coverage. Not rocket science to figure that out. It’s what every team starting doing provided they could stop the run. That’s the problem facing BK and his crew right now.

This is the part that has me scratching my head, because it was something BK did at Cincy, if you don’t have a 3rd threat, like a QB who can run, then put pressure on the defense in another way. Pick up the tempo of the game. I watched Houston climb right back in the game with San Diego last night and win, Philly took it to the Skins, the Bronocos did it as well against the Ravens and Oregon continues to do it even after Chip Kelly left. Don’t give them time to rotate players in, don’t give them time to make all kinds of changes at the line, keep your foot on the gas and keep the pressure on the defense. Move guys around and create mismatches with the players you have. I’ll take AC 1:1 with a linebacker out of the slot everytime. Same goes for TN against a linebacker, corner or safety dude is huge and a handful to cover. Get multiple running backs on the field at the same time. Really want to mess with the defense have GA3 on the field at the same time with AC. Both are burners, even if you never pass to GA3, you have to respect his speed and send someone with him.

As for the gripes that I’ve heard about TR being a CW recruit and being physically limited, he’s been in the program for 4 years, same amount of time that BK’s been there. If anything he should know this offense inside and out. And for that fact BK should know what his capabilities are, if we know anything about TR it’s that if you roll him out, he will throw an INT. Kind of like Ron Burgundy, “Dammit people how many times do I have to tell you, if you put it on the screen he will read it!” So why even go that route?

Bottom line is that BK and CM need to get aggressive with the play calling, start creating mismatches and putting some of that top notch speed that they recruited to work. And please get GB and TF some touches in primetime, not clean up duty.

GO IRISH!!!

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Did Ron Burgundy just say, “Go f$&@ yourselves NDNation.”

• bigconsig - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

While one has to mix it up, running a roll out to the left where Tommy has to throw across his body seems to result in a pick time and time again. Is it just me or is it not the case that TR should be taught to throw the ball away if he is forced to roll left, given the likelihood of a bad result time and time again?

6. ndgoldandblue - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM

“We’d better be good at scoring points running the ball, and we’d better be good at throwing the ball when the situations call for it.”

Okay…great. Let’s see it on Saturday. That is all.

7. ctfivula - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don’t care if there were 15 guys in the box if you are getting the job done running the ball then run the friggin ball. Don’t tell me you threw the ball because you were down 2 scores and they out manned you in the box by one guy to start the second half. That’s a bunch of crap. I feel insulted by those comments. You threw the ball because you lost focus and panicked.

• nudeman - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Just curious … why would someone thumbs down this comment?
      Is there a grammatical error?

I don’t usually pay attention to thumbs up/down, but this is such a good and accurate observation, why would anyone have a problem? Was it not rah rah enough?

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I didn’t give you a thumbs down, but clearly you have never coached a game of football and possibly never played a game of football.

There are basic principles to this game that EVERY team uses when they design a game plan and those principles are even more important at higher levels (NCAA and NFL) because of the shifting defenses etc. They are as follows….

1.) Identify the strenght of the Defense – in layman’s terms you draw a vertical line through the center and count the number of defenders to the left and to the right

2.) Identify the number of players “in the box” – typically the area of field incorporating the defensive line, linebackers and any secondary players in close proximity to the line of scrimmage

So, why would you want the coaching staff or TR to put us into a play where we are at a disadvantage before we even snap the ball?

Don’t get me wrong, i understand your sentiment, but I just think it’s a bit misguided.

• dickasman - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That’s assuming that your qb can make things happen. Ideally on paper yes, but you’ve got to make adjustments as game goes on and at some point play to his strengths. You mean after 4 years, they still haven’t figure out how to best utilize him? I think the problem is that there are limited things you can do with Rees. Rees is pretty easy to game plan for.

• dickasman - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

When you are able to run some, TR becomes more, I’m gonna vomit, lethal. Running game makes TR more effective.

• ctfivula - Sep 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I have never coached a game of football in my life. I have however played a lot of football. I know a little bit about game planning and how to play the game. I don’t pretend to know more than Brian Kelly or anyone on his staff. I just know bullshit when I hear it, and I think he was full of crap with the we were out maned in the box down 2 scores gotta start chuckin comment.

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Whoa, dick. That was incredibly insightful. Are you really Keith Arnold with a different handle, and you’re just messing with us? I mean, I’ve never seen someone routinely throw out language equivalent to rap lyrics, and then write something completely eloquent.

• bb90grad - Sep 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM

ndgold, you hit it on the head. Same as Clark Kent/Superman.

Unfortunately the blog doesn’t work if you don’t buy into them/him as two people.

Just need to be smart enough to not think too much, kinda like KA er dick’s fable about backside rewards posted above.

• mayo1010 - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Finally!!!

8. dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Reason why Brindza performed better vs Michigan. Read it on ND TMZ that BK threatened to bring her in for tryout if he didn’t perform better

9. runners00 - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I’m salty like a few others. Perhaps it’s because I’m old and experienced, but I’ve seen an Irish squad that couldn’t tackle once or twice. This seems to be the case this year. In both games, we missed quite a few tackles. Our corners may be quick but if you can’t tackle, speed doesn’t help.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Runner, with all due respek, the saltiness is probably all the sweat dripping from your forehead into your mouth. Buy a headband and let me know if it still taste salty.

10. fnc111 - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

BINGO!!! And that’s my point I’ve been saying all off season. ND doesn’t have a QB that can throw the ball consistently/effectively. Maybe ND’s defense is bad this year but you can’t have your QB throwing interceptions like the one TR threw in the second quarter. Period. Next year is a true rebuilding year. Why not at some point this season start rebuilding? See what Malik, Max, Bryant, etc. have? No ND fan cares about 8-4 seasons. Let the youngins play. No NFL team is coming after Kelly now.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Fnc, it’s coming to that but let’s slow play it. But I think you will get your wish. Bk has to act like he has something, he has to slow play it. You want man with a slowwwwww haaaaand.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I don’t really care about our record too much this year lets face it, we are coming off BCS game and bk just bought himself some more rope. I’d like to at least see some type of development this year so if somebody decides to cheat, smoke synthetic pot n run around naked, we have somebody lined up. I just don’t want to have 4 losses playing Rees entire time. I’d love to have him back as a graduate coach next year groom him to replace Martin.

• nudeman - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

fnc
      No one gives a fuck what you think

• domer77blowsgoats - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Is the profanity really needed or are we just trying to solidify your sanctimoniousness?

On to the game:

1. Without Golson we are at best 8-4. TR is taking us nowhere
        2. BK refuses to implement a game plan where we impose our will (exception OU 2012), ever see Holtz stop smashing someone in the mouth? Does Oregon slow down, does Alabama go 5 wide?
        3. How can our 2 top 15 NFL draft picks not do anything against 3/5 of a line making their first true start?
        4. Did Alabama give the blue print to beat our simplistic D? If so where are the adjustments besides blitzing everyone?
        5. Play the youngsters now so we aren’t having the same conversation next year

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

You can’t see it, but I’m giving you a standing ovation right now for your brevity and clarity on what’s currently lacking with this team and coach. And though I see absolutely no value in thumbs up/down other than stroking on e’s own ego, I just had to make an exception for your concise comments. Now, all we have to do is sit back and wait for the sloped forehead remarks from mayo1010 and NDfaithful and we can put this thing to bed.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’m sorry, is ‘sloped-forehead’ considered profanity?? I don’t want to be insensitive since they road the short bus to school.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Don’t get used to this, but I’ve got to partially agree with you. I think playing the young RBs is important for this program, but I disagree with Malik. Given the fact that he’s not even cleared for contact in practice yet and when he does get back he’ll be taking 3rd QB reps or possibly sharing 2nd QB reps, I sincerely doubt that the coaching staff will burn his redshirt.

• danirish - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I’m in agreement Rather – FNC111 actually said something notable. If Zaire didn’t play in the Temple game and probably won’t be ready until week 6, under no circumstances play him this year – let him and Golsen (pending return) figure it out.

But for the love of God, play Brayant and Folsten!

11. fnc111 - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

dickas,

It was definitely the blonde if it was a bleach blonde. At least that’s my hope. We still getting married in San Fran next year? I was there this summer, lovely place. After Kelly choked to scUM again I might sign up for a suicide jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge next go around.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Yes, definitely my love but only if I am the pitcher. I am too good looking to be a catcher. I promise to wash the pillow case daily so you your mouth wont be biting into dirty dandruff ridden pillow case. If the world would end today, I’d plug you with my last pill of Xanax, that’s the kind of stud you’re dealing with here. If this isn’t love, I don’t know what is. Why don’t we just do it in South Bend during half time of Miami game? It is way too played out in sanfrancisco, I want this to be real.

• dickasman - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Fnc, with all due respek, just for my sanity, I have to ask. That wasn’t you back there was it? Have we met? Fnc, is dat you???

12. ndfaithful - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

“It might not be as easy for Irish fans, but…”

Well said Keith. I’m thinking the over/under on when the Monday morning head coaches and athletic directors stop moaning about the Michigan game is something like September 30th. Of 2014.

If some of the fans in here are as brilliant and telepathic as they think they are, then BK is still working on a way to ruin Irish football forever on his way to the NFL. Where he will only want to draft Nazis and Tommy Rees. And he will force Tommy to run a no-back shotgun until the Buffalo Jills line up with only one man (err, girl) in the box.

Thank God they will eventually play another game on Saturday.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

As usual, you are way off… again. Nobody thinks BK is Hitler. He’s more like the girlfriend that rips your heart out and says, “I wasn’t trying to hurt you.” And you’re like, “Wow, and you weren’t even trying.”

• ndfaithful - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Thanks for proving my point. I didn’t even have to name you and came in right on cue. What would you know about girlfriends?!

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

ndfaithful, I’m not trying to get into it with you again. I respectfully suggest that you check out a few of the other blogs. If you think the vitriol is bad here, you haven’t even scratched the surfaced of the negativity in the Notre Dame blogosphere. Compared to some other blogs, this place is Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood. Face it man. When it comes to Irish fandom, you and supporters of your ilk (very optimistic ones) are outnumbered. And I mean that with all due respect. Frankly, I think Notre Dame Nation needs some more positivity to counteract all the negativity. After all, it was just one game. It could have been an anomaly. If it keeps up, however, it’ll start to look like a trend.

• ndfaithful - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM

no problem gold and blue, I frequent a lot of ND stuff. You have to agree it’s pretty bleak around ND Nation after a loss. Hell, the sky is usually falling after every victory too. I thought some might find some humor in what I wrote. I’m quite sure others will go on and on about how I’m always wrong… (C4 steps in just in time…)

I like your point about optimism. I’m not even sure I’m all that optimistic. I get misrepesented that way often. I mean, seriously, if you compare them with C4, the Mayans were optomistic about our chances in 2012. And look what ended up happening.

I’m just poking fun at people that always seem to know more than BK and the staff that make it their fulltime job.

One particular idiot has often proposed that we should lose games on purpose so we can develop young players. He even proposed that it’s better to lose games than to play and lose badly in a national championship game. Imagine the leadership skills it takes to come up with an idea like that?

My point was that I’m just tired of the crap and I’m looking forward to another game. Others obviously agree.

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I’m with you there. Frankly, I think we’re going to see a more disciplined team against Purdue. I don’t have the evidence to back it up; just a feeling.

13. seadomer - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Yes, Boiler players will be playing their hearts out for the new HC
    Yes, it is at West L
    Yes, ND has some problems

Team ND week 1 vs Purdue 45 – 13
    Team ND week 2 vs Purdue 33 – 17

However, while both are still Ws, they do not mean much at this point unless the real ND team shows up during OK, ASU, BYU etc

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

“Team ND week 1 vs Purdue 45 – 13
      Team ND week 2 vs Purdue 33 – 17″

This is a rather blind statement…our defense played at about the same level in both weeks, our offense was better in week two, and our special teams was 10 times better in week 2.

Your comparison seems to lack the knowledge that we played a much better opponent in week two.

• seadomer - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

UMM … you r right, I think I meant it the other way around, meaning Purdue will do better than Temple but our offense will still get the job done and score more becos … well our boys are still ND.

The point is, as my post on previous article suggests, because now that we have a 2 game look at the 2013 team (I know its early … but I was hoping), based on what I gleamed from Purdue’s sites (I did not post) most are acknowledging defeat, hoping for no blow outs. Also from their performance in their 2 games so far. Blown-out by Cinny in week1 who get blown out by the Fighting Illini, then had to hang on against FCS opponent 2nd week. This FCS is not the FCS champs that knocked out Kstate.

14. seadomer - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

You know what, I will actually root for the Cardinal if they are 11-0 when they meet us and hope they trash whatever SEC team they meet later.
    (Don’t hate, I wanted us to do that last year but ………)

• dickasman - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I think everyone would agree w you given the situation.

• ndcanuck - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Not going to be rooting against ND for anyone, but I totally agree I’d love to see Stanford beat the SEC. Respect Stanford, as they (like Notre Dame) are actually a school instead of a semi-pro francise like Alabama.

15. upthera44 - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I was surprised how positive CBK’s assessments were of all of the players in his press conference. As I recall him saying, Sheldon Day, Louis Nix played great. Tuitt also good. Calabrese and Grace played well. The running backs played well. The O-Line played well. Rees overall played well. Am I missing anyone? He said the defensive backs played sub-par and that’s about all the criticism I can remember hearing. Maybe he is just being positive to press and giving them his critique behind the scenes…

• wisner74 - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Honest to God, sometimes I feel like I’m entering the Twilight Zone when I come to this site. We lost to Michigan. Big deal. Did anyone who watched that game think Michigan was the better team? Anyone here want to trade our roster top-to-bottom for theirs? If you do, you’re nuts. Sure, I’d take their QB over ours, and their top receiver over our top receiver. After that, not so much.

But let’s put it this way, their offensive line for ours? Please…
      Their defensive line for ours? Please…
      Their overall receiving corp for ours… you get the idea.

We played just poorly enough to lose. Period.

I’ve got a bet with another Irish alum: over/under 9.5 wins in the regular season. I took the over. And I’m still feeling good about it. Seriously. We’ll be getting better and better as we go along. Who on the schedule other than Stanford is a really serious threat?

Upsets can happen, and if they do, I lose. But I feel very good about this team, and this program even after the latest over-hyped, over-produced ESPN Tom Harmonfest up in Ann Arbor.

Unless the Wolverines improve dramatically, we’ll embarrass them at our place next year.

• nudeman - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I think Michigan is better.

Maybe it’s that the QB has a huger impact than anyone wants to acknowledge. But when you have one team with a completely mediocre, non-dynamic QB and the other with a highly athletic and dynamic QB, that’s enough to account for a multitude of disadvantages at other positions.

Are our next 21 players better than UM’s next 21?
        What difference does that make. The game is played with 22 guys.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

“Their offensive line for ours?” Let me think about it. Seeing as how it was just the second start for most of their O line and we have 2 highly decorated D linemen and Gardner was still able to dictate the game with his feet. This has nothing to do with talent, that’s what gets them here. The coaches have the responsibility to take it to the next level.

16. wisner74 - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM

But let’s put it this way, their offensive line for ours? Please…
    Their defensive line for ours? Please…
    Their overall receiving corp for ours… you get the idea.

We played just poorly enough to lose. Period.

• dickasman - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Wissy, you’re not as wise your name would indicate. How much? And get ready to pay up

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM

If you want to lay any more money on the over, I’ll take some of that action.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Wisner74, perhaps you haven’t noticed, but ND has been getting steadily worse since the BCS game. Frankly, it’s amusing that a majority of posters feel it’s a given that the team will get only better after a disheartening loss. Where’s your proof. Show me the evidence that we are tackling better after the dismal effort against Alabama. Face it, in light of the last 3 performances, any enthusiasm for this season seems purely based on a hope that borders on desperation. TR is not the problem, the defense isn’t even the problem, the problem is scheming, development, and technique – which are all out of the players’ hands.

• mayo1010 - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

There Wisner…C4 straightened you right out. Don’t worry we don’t listen to him either because he knows nothing…..really absolutely nothing.

C4 writes “Wisner74, perhaps you haven’t noticed, but ND has been getting steadily worse since the BCS game.” Wow 2 games and the expert C4 comes to the rescue with his top notch analysis: 1) coaches can’t scheme 2) coaches can’t develop 3) coahces can’t teach technique. How the hell did we run off a 12-0 record before the NC game? Last years team was just that, last years team. Has no relevance to this years team. None what so ever.

See Wisner, C4 blurts desparaging comments about BK without any basis or rational analysis to back anything up. BK must have banged his wife cuz the dude is slightly delusional. I can picture C4 and FNC holding hands and telling each other that BK can’t due NOTHING, he knows NOTHING. Then they stop and gaze with admiration at a picture of Holtz above the propane fireplace

17. yaketyyacc - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

HO hum yes, the Irish will win the “easy” game against Purdue, and we will hear how improved the offense was and how the defense became tenacious, and wowie, how great the play calling was.
    Have you noticed, since Lou Holtz, the MO of succeeding coaches: first three years, good results, a reward of extensions and bucks, followed by devastating loss years, firing, and the poor coaches leaving with Notre Dame on the hook for millions? just wondering…….
    Plain and simple Kelly, we want and we expect a National Championship. And you cannot deliver one. time to run and hide in the NFL.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

For those that might be thinking it, yakety is NOT my other poster name…

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

hilarious…you’re a clown….but this was funny

18. irishdog80 - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Given the results of last year’s NCG, it is unlikely that ND will make an appearance in the NCG this year even if we run the table and end up being one of several 11-1 teams contending for a spot in the NCG. The bad taste left from last year’s debacle will keep ND out of the NCG no matter how good we look at the end of the season. Someone else will get their shot to be in the NCG instead of ND. Louisville, Oregon, Michigan, Florida State or someone will be ahead of us to play against the SEC champ.

That said, I now want us to go 12-1 with a win over a once beaten Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Bottom line, we need to win a BCS game this year to keep on advancing.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Sep 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

that’s a nice prediction. i’d be thrilled to win out and beat ohio state.

prior to last saturday, i predicted that the UM game will be the barometer of the season. oh how i hope i was wrong and that it is this saturday that will tell the tale of how things go the rest of the way. on one hand, losing to UM, ever, is painful. but, from a glass half-full (or at least not entirely empty) perspective, an early loss is better than a late loss and if teaches the lads some lessons about playing angry, executing and teaches the coaches a few about the team’s limitations, well then the loss isn’t a complete waste.

on a different topic, as tired as i am of manziel, i think TAM knocks of the tide this weekend, which really won’t determine anything other than that both teams would still have to beat Georgia in the SEC championship game to play in the NCG.

• bigconsig - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

If Miller doesn’t play, maybe we hang with OSU for 3 quarters, but Miller beats Gardner beats ND, unfortunately. We want no part of Urban Liar’s OSU squad at this rate. Just IMHO. Our secondary needs major transplant surgery.

• 25kgold - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Michigan is at least a three loss team this year!

• irishdog80 - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I hate to say it, but Michigan looked like a team that could win the rest of their games. Remember that their best defensive player, Jake Ryan, was not on the field on Saturday and he will be back on the field by mid-October. He is a “glue” kind of guy for Michigan… a “Manti Te’o” type of emotional leader… and he will have a big impact on their defense. If Michigan beats Ohio State and wins the Big 10 Championship, the runner up in their Championship game will go to the Rose Bowl leaving Ohio State for the Fiesta Bowl.

We can beat Ohio State and will be a lot better against dual threat QBs by Fiesta Bowl time. A BCS win over Ohio State would be a great way to end the season and will be a very positive step towards even better results in 2014.

Go Irish! Beat Purdue!

19. vanpearcysvaportrail - Sep 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Keith, I don’t mean to tell you how to do your job, but Michigan was not putting 8 in the box all game — watch the tape. I kind of wish the media would occasionally challenge the coach when he says things like that.

The fact is that Kelly/Martin are predisposed to passing the ball, and getting behind early just exacerbates that inclination. From a play calling perspective, our coaches failed miserably in the Michigan game, and every offensive stat makes that clear.

Of course, it didn’t help that our defense played so poorly or that our new conference refs decided to throw a PI flag every time they did get a critical third down stop.

20. 31sorin - Sep 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Kelly says we’re down two scores, so we have to throw. Defense knows (and very soon sees) that we have to throw. So, are they still stacking the box with 8 players when they know we’re throwing? Or are they dropping more guys into coverage, opening up the run? At least have someone lining up in the backfield (besides TR) to give the appearance of a possible run.

• bernhtp - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Kelly actually said Michigan put 8+ in the box (common defense with Rees in), which is what dictated the pass-heavy play call.

• vanpearcysvaportrail - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Kelly lied.

• bernhtp - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Really? My wife deleted the game from my DVR, so i didn’t get to watch it closely.

21. standingdomer - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I am surprised by all the emphasis/criticism regarding play calling on offense. Putting up 30 points at the big house aint too shabby. I’m disappointed in Chuck Martin’s play calling, sure. But I think the bigger issue is the D. KA is right. We’ve been smoked/torched/lit up by the last two credible opponents.

Is our D-Line as stout as touted? Are our converted-to-defense corners as shut-down as we thought? Can we get credible, multifaceted play from our middle linebackers? (have to admit though, I thought Carlo played better than I imagined he would)

All this talk about Tommy, play calling or a lack of leadership to fill the Teo vacuum is missing the bigger picture – we aren’t defending well. Diaco adjusted after the Navy debacle at the Meadowlands… I hope the D improves from here.

• c4evr - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Just for clarification, offense put up 23. Defense contributed the other 7. Play calling was neither great nor terrible, it was just predictable.

22. 25kgold - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Bottom line, without Golson–THIS is the kind of season we’re looking at this year. Even Google can’t pull up Tommy’s performance; he is who he is! If we have Golson, teams have to respect our offense. They can’t just crowed the box and/or drop eight back and call it a day! Truth be told, Golson (and this is going to come of glib) not only screwed himself, but he did his team (and the season) in as well! It’s foolish for us ND fans to have an auspicious viewpoint of this season. TM is a career backup, a damn good one at that…BUT a BACKUP nonetheless(on that note, GA3 is probably a career backup RB as well)!! TM is NOT a 12/13 win QB!! He’s not even a game manger, he’s a closer/clean-up QB. Above all, he’s BK’s security blanket–and until TM leaves ND (kinda like Danard Robinson at Michigan), that’s when we might start to see some greatness come from this offense.

23. vanpearcysvaportrail - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM

According to analysis done on another ND site, Michigan had 6 in the box on 80% of ND’s offensive plays and 7 in the box on another 10%. So, yeah, Michigan didn’t have 8 in the box for 90% of ND’s plays, but the 10% that they did was so scary that it forced us to pass the ball on nearly 75% of our plays.

Either Kelly correctly assumes the local media are fools and lapdogs, or the fear of losing privileges has those on the beat afraid to challenge his BS.

“Get used to it.”

• c4evr - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

vaportrail, I haven’t seen your name around these parts before so you must be new. A few rules for this board.

1. Ignore logic and reason
      2. Accountability is not a character flaw
      3. no matter how many times ND loses, it’s never, ever BK’s fault… like never… ever.

This is where ‘fans’ come to rah, rah there way to an alternate view of reality. They are all positive and Zig Ziglar until they turn on you for bashing CBK. And to that, they say to the rest of us, ‘Get used to it.’

• c4evr - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

2. should read Non-accountability is not a character flaw… which is a double negative. In that case, it should read, ‘Accountability is a character flaw’. Yes, that’s it, that’s what I meant to say. (read with Heinz Doofenshmirtz’ voice)