Sep 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Even though he practiced with Notre Dame during fall camp, Chris Badger will be suiting up for BYU this season, the NCAA decided. Badger was granted immediate eligibility today and will suit up for the Cougars against in-state rival Utah this weekend.
Badger was a redshirt safety for the Irish last season, not seeing the field after spending two seasons away from the game while on his Mormon Mission. Badger enrolled early at Notre Dame during the spring of 2010, the first practices Brian Kelly coached for the Irish before deciding to leave school.
BYU will face Notre Dame later this season, making for the very unique situation where Badger will be playing against the team he was a part of just a few short months earlier. Relatively buried on the safety depth chart for the Irish, Badger transferred home to Provo to be closer to his ailing mother in late August.
- Kelly rolls the dice again with position switches 61
- Golson returns to the practice field 20
- Spring Solutions: Wide receivers and tight ends 23
- Cody Riggs officially joins the Irish 39
- Academic casualties proof that foundation at Notre Dame remains 120
- Irish succeed with 2014 class, even against the odds 121