Live Blog — Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

Sep 21, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

TJ Jones AP

There’s perfect football weather in South Bend on this last day of summer. Notre Dame and Michigan State, two teams that have been playing each other since 1897, are set to square off for the 77th time, battling for the Megaphone Trophy.

As usual, you’ll have plenty of options to watch and follow along. A national broadcast on NBC, beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET. A pregame show live from Notre Dame Stadium on NBCSN beginning at 3:00 p.m. And a live-stream of the game here at NBCSports.com, with HD video, a built in DVR, and an embed of our live-chat, available all around the world.

Both Brian Kelly and Mark Dantonio expect a slugfest this afternoon. We’ll be here all game, chatting with a few thousand of our friends. Stop by, stick around, do whatever you’d like. But make sure you try and enjoy another classic match-up between the Spartans and the Irish, where eight of the last 13 games have been decided by less than a touchdown.

***

1. mtmk0586 - Sep 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Go Irish from colma

2. dickasman - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It’s gonna be a loooong day if we keep playing like shi!!!!t

• seadomer - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The only thing that saved us was that the MSU was Shi!!!!!!!!tier

3. mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Where are the damn tight ends

4. ihatemistate - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Sure glad I didn’t pay the big bucks to be at this game…Man do we suck. We should be killing them, I haven’t seen MSU look this bad for ever!! Can Rees take any longer to throw the ball??? Tole ya’ he sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jckohorst - Sep 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I agree totally. I wish people would stop defending Rees and how smart he is. Steven Hawking is smart as hell too but he cannot play football either. Rees out thinks himself and his coaches and he is inaccurate. The combination of Rees’ lack of mobility has crippled this team and made the offense predictable and inept. A little ability to move would open up way more throwing lanes. Do the ever snap the ball fast? Where is the fast paced offense Kelly/Martin promised? Anyone moves on defense and Rees freaks out and has to check out of the play. If you go fast like Oregon and other successful offenses are doing these days, you do not care where the defense moves to and you do not give them a chance to move. Everyone of our snaps is with less than 5 secs on the play clock.

• ihatemistate - Sep 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We are sorely missing EG, or any QB that will get out of the pocket once in awhile and run. Jesus God. And we’re on the 3yrd line and didn’t try to run it once. Where’s the bulldozer kid with the bleeding head been all day? Haven’t hardly seen him at all.

5. footballnut85 - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

This is not a good football! Pick a damn running back (Carlisle) and stick with him! Tempo, tempo, tempo!

6. elkona - Sep 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Penalties on the other team rule.

7. jammers11 - Sep 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

This team won’t reach it’s potential with Rees at QB. He’s no threat to run and teams know that so the offense is predictable.

8. ndgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

5 things I learned:
    1) That game was a gift. There’s a scene in the movie The Legend of Baggar Vance where Matt Damon’s character, Junuh, calls a penalty on himself because the ball moved when he moved a stick. Both the Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen characters wanted Junuh to recant his self-inflicted penalty. As the narrator properly said, “That was no way to win a match.” As a Notre Dame fan, I have a similar feeling after this one. Both of the Irish’s touchdown drives were extended because of very, very questionable pass interference calls. They shouldn’t have been called in my opinion. No one wants to win that way. If I was an MSU fan, I’d be incredibly pissed right now. They outgained and basically outplayed Notre Dame.

2) Tommy must have borrowed Hendrix’s accuracy for this game. I guess, if you’re going to miss, miss by a country mile.

3) Coach Kelly, quit telling your team that they’re going up against a great defense, and it’s going to be hard to move the ball, etc. etc. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. The offense looked a bit tentative at the beginning of the game. They could have scored more against Michigan State. Just believe you can. Quit psyching yourself out. That extends to the coaches as well. BK, don’t coach scared.

4) Defense…nice game. To be fair, though, MSU helped you guys out quite a bit. They looked a bit inept at times. However, I gotta’ give the defense props. They looked quicker, sharper, and more eager to tackle. This particularly applies to Russell. Nice game, kid.

5) Man…I’m not looking forward to the game against Oklahoma. It could be really ugly. Something tells me the Irish won’t get the same favorable calls they got this week. And, I’m pretty sure Oklahoma won’t look as bad offensively as the Spartans did. If we win next week, I’ll be ready to declare us back. As a fan, though, the game today doesn’t instill me with a lot of confidence.

9. seadomer - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

After seeing the game today, got a new slogan for the 2013 Fighting Irish Football team: We’re only a little bit better than you.

10. getsome99 - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM

What do you know about Oklahoma’s team that would cause you to think this game was ugly. Don’t forget, the OU game was Notre Dame’s breakout game last season. The Big Ten stretch was just as ugly in 2012. To the tune of Kelly having to turn to Rees to close out two of them. The defense seems to be turning a corner and next week will be another test. Let’s not underestimate Mich State’s defense though and let’s try to keep things in perspective since it’s still early. Rees was not great today but no means, but I do believe most of the passes that we’re way off we’re throw aways because the WR’s were covered. May have had better options but at least he didn’t turn the ball over. A couple of the PI calls did affect some plays that would have probably been receptions or TD’s. And I thought Daniels had a couple key drops that killed some drives and could have been big plays. Special teams still need fixed. Missed a chip shot field goal, blocked punt, 2 muffs by TJ, etc, etc. No excuses for this. And finally, still no threat on the ground. Not defending Rees, just pointing out all the real issues that some refuse to see.

11. getsome99 - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

What do you know about Oklahoma’s team that would cause you to think this game will be ugly?

Is what I thought I originally said.

12. oldndgrad - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

During the last 5 min of the game I noticed Kelly reading ” Coaching For Dummies.” Forget Diaco, last year Teo was the coach on the field directing the defense! TR can read defenses but what good is it when you have poor athletic ability. His arm is definitely stronger as evidenced by the 10 ft overthrows. Thank God for the 2nd amendment and MSU shooting themselves in the foot multiple times. Where the hell is Zaire? He’s our only chance to have a successful season.

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Are you on crack? Or were you to busy reading “Blogging for Dummies” while BK was reading about coaching? 10-ft overthrows were to throw the ball away. MSU’s defense is, um, good. You want Zaire for a ‘successful’ season? I guess you’d rather win twice this week or something? We got the only win we could. I can’t imagine throwing Zaire to those wolves after sleeping 14 hours a day with MONO. Good grief…

13. oldndgrad - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

ndfaithful–Do you not understand sarcasm? Where’s your sense of humor? Some of those overthrows were to open receivers. I didn’t mean for Zaire to play much today except for 1 or 2 downs. He was dressed on the sideline, although I don’t know if he was fit to play. He is, however, our only chance when he’s well.

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

oh, sarcasm? what’s that?
      I’m sorry. You weren’t reading blogging for dummies. You must have been reading “Being a Dummy for Dummies”.

Zaire must have played some, because I heard we won. I never noticed him in there.

Looking up sarcasm now…

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Just got back from Dictionary.com… I get it. So you didn’t actually think that MSU literally shot themselves in the foot. I thought maybe you had some kind of bad trip. Plaxico Burress did something like that once and he was from MSU. But now I understand you were being sarcastic and humorous.

You didn’t _really_ think BK was reading that either I bet…

Aren’t you a silly lil devil!?

• heartofgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

You guys need to make up and get a room

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

are you serious? I’m so confused… Is that sarcasm?

14. ndcanuck - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

That game was a gift from poor MSU play and awful officiating. Getting sick of watching Tommy’s third rate Payton Manning impersonation. 3/4 of the time he checked out of a call Sparty adjusted right away, and the other 1/4 he missed his guy with terribly inaccurate passes. Can’t tell what the defense did because MSU is so bad it doesn’t matter. One thing they couldn’t do is stop the run when the needed to, which (seeing how sad the secondary has looked) is all this group seems built to do.

This team will be lucky to be bowl eligible when it’s all said and done. Hope springs eternal, but these guys are testing me this year!

15. ndgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Hey Keith. It looks like you’re not the most popular guy over at ND Nation. I guess a few of the posters over there didn’t like your tweets. Not like it matters, though. That blog is just a big circle j$%^ session amongst people who all agree with each other. Why start a blog discussion when you know what everyone is going to say? Objectivity doesn’t exist over there.

If I turn on Fox News, and there’s a round table of commentators the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and Bill O’Reilly, and someone asks, “How do you think President Obama is doing?”, what do you think the answers are going to be? Yeah, the same thing for MSNBC and Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell, Ed Schultz, and Al Sharpton. No one should take the commentary at either of those networks seriously, and the same thing applies to ND Nation. Don’t sweat it Keith.

16. mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Live blog was awesome if u were one of about three people to get on

17. wrlc2013 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I am just amazed at the really amateurish, predictable and unimaginative offensive game plan and play calling. Up to today, it was all dink and dunk when it came to passing. Today, it was all long passes down the sideline. With the Spartan corners obviously quite capable of playing tight press coverage ALL the way down the field, why not ONCE IN A WHILE have the streaking receiver, once he has sold the fly pattern, suddenly stop and COME BACK toward the QB and I don’t mean a back shoulder throw, I mean a comeback pattern where the receiver can really create some separation. Why keep throwing low % passes right up against the sideline where there is no room for error and where the CB is right on your receiver’s inside shoulder. They just kept calling the same damn play OVER AND OVER AND OVER. There is no variety or flexibility in their offensive game plan in any particular game. They go into a game with a plan and just keep trying to shove it down the opponents throat even if it is not working at all.The only good thing was that after trying that stupid quick pass to the wideout and seeing how MSU read it right away, they didn’t call it again.

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I’m surprised too how the offense has been “repetitive” with plays during the course of the game. In 30+ attempts today, I didn’t see a crossing route targeted, a screen pass other than the bubble screen, or any seam routes targeted.

I don’t agree with your assessment of the past or today’s plays though. You say that up until today it has been all dink and dunk. It makes me think you didn’t watch or notice the deep passes against Temple (for TD’s) or the deep passes against Purdue (for a TD).

Similarly, there were numerous plays today where Corey Robinson went deep, sold the route, then came back towards the QB on a comeback. They worked. He only completed 14 passes, so I’m surprised you didn’t notice them.

• wrlc2013 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I did notice Robinson’s completions but they were more like back shoulder plays rather than a sharp deliberate cut back towards the QB to really create separation and increase the margin for error on the accuracy of the pass. I agree, there were no crossing routes and only one seam pass attempt to TJ Jones. Sure there were 2 or 3 deep passes in earlier games but you have to agree that there wasn’t much attempt to threaten deep down the field in the previous games and then today, it was all the other way even though it wasn’t working unless an interference penalty was called. There just doesn’t seem to be any ability to adjust to what the defense is doing.

• ndfaithful - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I disagree about previous weeks. They came out throwing short against Purdue and then adjusted and went deep a lot in the 2nd half. Tehy made adjustments against Michigan too and they worked for the most part.

But for the most part, there’s not a diverse, creative arsenal of offensive plays.

18. irishdodger - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wow…this team is bad. Unathletic, plodding, slow & out of position is no way to win football games.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

“Unathletic, plodding, slow & out of position is no way to win football games.”

This comment reminds me of Dean Wormer’s admonition that “Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

19. mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I think ndgoldandblueballs likes u kieth

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Who the f@#% are you?

• mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

who the f#$%^&*@! are you

• mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

lol

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

No, seriously. I’ve never seen you here before. Regular contributors to this blog have established a rapport with the moderator, so no crush here.

• mdp44 - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

and speaking of circle jerks let me go ahead and keep working my ass off to keep paying for your food stamps and obamacare

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Seriously, who the hell is this douchebag?

20. wrlc2013 - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The defense needs some live scrimmage this week in practice to learn how to tackle, boy they miss a lot of tackles. I think this game was a blessing because they did seem to get more aggressive in their tackling and pass rush towards the end of the game but they need a lot more practice at those skills.

21. 25kgold - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

This Irish team is the SAME as last years team, we’re just seeing them for who they really are this year. For example, have you ever been to a bar, and on about your 4th-5th drink for some reason every chick starts to look really good (whereas in most cases they don’t actually look THAT good at all)??!? To take it further, how many of you still had one of those chicks in front of you when you finally sobered up??? How did she look to you then? Same woman… Way different point of view!!! That’s this years Irish team, compared to last years team.