Live Blog — Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma

Sep 28, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT

Michigan State v Notre Dame Getty Images

They don’t get much better than this weekend. With No. 14 Oklahoma visiting No. 22 Notre Dame, two of the traditional powers in college football square off in South Bend for only the second time since 1968.¬†With a combined 18 national championships, 12 Heisman Trophies and 261 consensus All-Americans, the game is being deemed “The Battle of Champions” (at least on the t-shirt being sold at the Hammes Bookstore).

A pilgrimage for Sooner football fans, they’ll be greeted by a “Green Out” inside Notre Dame Stadium. For those not lucky enough to be there in person, we’ve got you covered here. Starting at 3 p.m. ET, a live pregame show from Notre Dame Stadium will be airing on NBCSN. At 3:30 p.m. the game will stream live here, with HD coverage, DVR capabilities, and multiple camera angles at your disposal.

As usual, we’ll be chatting live here, joined by our friends at IrishIllustrated.com. Join in the fun as the Irish play as home underdogs for the first time this season. Keep it clean, keep it clever, and keep calm as the Irish try and spring a minor upset and bolster their BCS hopes this afternoon.

***

1. papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I miss all the nice Oklahoma posts we saw last year, and the trolls have been remarkably quiet this year. Maybe the beat down last year was too much for them? GO IRISH!!!!!!!!! Encore performance.

2. nudeman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Off topic here … watching the Miami/USF game.
    Aaron Lynch looks like he weighs about 230 and dickasman could block him.
    Have never seen anyone at any level so easily ridden out of a play.

Wow.

I suppose we don’t know the whole story, but it sure seems like this kid totally blew it in a 360 degree way

• nudeman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Playing in front of hundreds of fans though, so there’s that.

Jesus …….

• dickasman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I’d totally cokblok him fa sho. I don’t want no mo welfare babies.

Did you see that hot Greek looking water bottle chick when they were showing Jarrett grace? Schawiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnngggg baby

• dickasman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I will be the rubber that saves us more tax increase, beta bleeeeeee dat!

• papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Too much home cooking?

• dickasman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM

How did you know I was cooking my own meth?

• dickasman - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I think he lost weight. Prolly snorting cocaine like crazy out there in gay land. That’s all those freaks do down there

• papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

dicky, dicky, dicky – it isn’t always (if ever) about you – I was commenting about Lynch.

3. NotreDan - Sep 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Nude… what goes around comes around.

4. irish4006 - Sep 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

BK is like a teenager with ADD. Even when things are going well, he is doing things to screw things up. Why the F do we need this Hendrix experiment?

5. 25kgold - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The players AND the coaching staff are JOKES this year! I’m already looking forward to next season when we get Golson back. -_-

6. irish4me - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The really sad thing is this Oklahoma team has next to nothing

7. 700levelvet - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

@irish

The ironic part is neither does ND…

8. loadofwash - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Me thinks ND should stick with temple

9. loadofwash - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Was tommy turnover a recruit or did someone owe a family favor, oh dear!

10. oxnardpat - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quarterback accuracy is now measured in inches. Rees is measured in feet, to a negative result. We are only a quaterback away from being good.

11. papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Ohhhhhhh crap – load is back. Nothing like a ND loss to stir the trolls. A winnable game lost with TOs.

12. cpfirish - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Tommy R is junk!! Our defense looks lost, and we are going to lose bad next weekend also! We are not even close to a 25 team!

13. loadofwash - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ask yourself a question, seriously now domers, maybe, just maybe B Kelly ain’t the pot at the end of ye rainbow?

• somebadhatharry - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

B Kelly did take them to the NCG last year. Not too bad if you ask me

14. somebadhatharry - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

The Hendrix experiment actually got us some 3rd and short conversions!!! Rees is bad…would it really be that much worse going with hendrix or Zaire?

15. NotreDan - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Sorry, Martin is NOT a good coach. And Tommy sucks. Period

16. ndgoldandblue - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

5 things:
    1) Tommy Rees is who nude thought he was. No further explanation is necessary, but I will say this: It’s a shame. A lot of folks on here were pulling for him to really do well this year, and I was one of them. I had visions of this great comeback story in which Tommy leads the Irish to a marquee bowl game, and all of ND Nation looks back on his tenure at Notre Dame in a positive light. Just wasn’t meant to be.

2) If given identical teams and told to play against each other, 2009 Brian Kelly would beat the tar out of 2013 Brian Kelly. That Brian Kelly was known for a prolific offense and his ability to develop quarterbacks. Where’s that guy been? I would say that he never showed up, but I remember an interview with BK shortly after spring ball began in his first year. He said, “We stink right now.” I remember thinking to myself, “Thank you! This is what this team needs…to be held to a higher standard.” I think he currently has a higher opinion of his own team, and if the coach doesn’t see the writing on the wall, the team is in trouble.

3) Lack of speed and lack of quality depth appears to be an issue on defense. We’ve had too many defections on that side of the ball, and it’s starting to rear it’s ugly head. On the topic of getting your money’s worth on scholarships, a lot of folks here threw out Luke Massa’s physical stats before the season. Great! He’s big and athletic, and he has no chance of seeing the field in any meaningful way, with the exception of place-kick holder for field goals and extra points, before he graduates. When my son gets older, I’m going to tell him to practice his place-kick holding abilities so he can get a full ride at the University of Notre Dame.

4) When the Irish put forth a concerted effort to run the ball, they scored. When they tried to throw the ball around the field, they didn’t. It’s not rocket surgery. By the way, Folston looks like a stud. He and Bryant could be a heck of a one-two punch next year. And Atkinson had a great game. Great game.

5) They need three more wins to be bowl eligible. That’s my hope. The BCS bowls are gone. Even if the Irish ran the table, I’m not sure they’d get an invite. But I don’t see three games the rest of the way that I’d automatically chalk up in the win column. Maybe the service academies. Maybe Pitt? Hmm…not sure.

• papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

ndgold – I agree with most of what you say, especially #1 & #4. But, I still think we can run the table & get a BCS bid. Beating Stanford, there, would be huge @ the end of the season.

• wrlc2013 - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

This practice of changing running backs every play is really counterproductive. A running back needs to get into a rhythm. It is frequently said, and I think it is true, the more carries a back gets the better he gets. I agree Atkinson had his best game. He, for a change, really seemed to run hard. Folston, in his only run, looked like he was prepared to run hard and I think BK would have been wise to keep him in there whenever a running play was called for. Putting a back in for one play and then switching him out for another back is crazy, after all, it is not as if the ND backs need a breather.

I also think that passing with play action on downs where a run is a possibility, would make the passing attack a lot more effective. ND seems to pass from a formation where Rees is all alone in the backfield or has one back who never is involved in a fake but is only there for pass protection. The rushers and linebackers are never put in a position where they might bite on a fake which would give Rees more time and make it easier for the receivers to get open.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Ha rocket surgery, classic. You make good points here.

17. bigfootsdick - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Way to BK and coach your team to another 2 score lose against a team we should have beat

18. loadofwash - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Let’s line these ladies up against the SEC again, I enjoy a good chuckle.

• papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

You get to gloat & chuckle all you want today.

19. rpbags - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Really at a loss for words here. 2 quick to’s and 2 quick td’s and we tried to get off the mat but could not. Thought the drive after the 2nd touchdown was the best drive of the season but could never do it again during the game. The loss of EG is costing this team dearly and as you can see we are not as close as we all thought we were last year. Just tired of the same ol ND year in and year out. One question i have is where is the offense that BK use to run at UC and why can we not do it here! Still waiting on that one i guess but then again i think we all are!

• papadec - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

rp – don’t hold your breath waiting for an answer to your question. Some of those runs were an exciting glimpse of what this team is capable of.

20. brendanfitzgibbons - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Guys how can we get Tommy Rees a fitth sixth and seventh season? Let me know if I need to contact Tryrone Willingham I totally will. This game nor any game Tommy has played has ever been his fault and it is the fault of all of the other offensive football players on the team who know how to play football. I blame them.

I truly hope this seals the deal for all the tommy defenders brian Kelly included for the love of god we have had the same discussions about tr for 3.5 years and still people are like Ahhh it’s not him. Everybody has no problem saying how inaccurate and dumb andrewhendrix is but how much worse can it be? Seriously. This is it. Going forward I want to ah and Zaire at some point I’m not saying they are going to save us but man tr is at best a c quarterback and the fact that we are still having this conversation after three years shows how much bk has not planned for this.

Bring back arnaz battle. Or pat dillingham.

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Nice…an Arnaz Battle reference. I like it.

21. mannydomer61 - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

TR you suck, Kelly play calling second half going away from what was working you suck, our slow ass uninspired defense you suck.
    It is time to play the freshman, can’t be any worse using Hendrix/Zaire combination than things are now. At this current trajectory a 7-5 season will be asking a lot!

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

As I said in my post, I’m just hoping for 6 wins. This team needs the extra 15 practices. And I know that a lower-level bowl is a glorified exhibition, but it’s still game experience that the younger guys could really use.

• nudeman - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You could give this team 30-45 extra practices and it wouldn’t matter
        They are what they are.

22. dsoffer - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

This is to every fellow ND fan who had the clueless belief TR could carry the O this year (big stare at you Keith, you better start owning it)…TR never had it, NEVER. He was NEVER accurate, could NEVER throw the deep ball, not even close. He can call as many audibles as he wants, he is maybe 50% at them. At the end of they day, the D isn’t the same, and the thing missing most in South Bend is a competent QB…I am all for sending a lot of blame at Golson but the same amount should be at Kelly for not being ready to replace Golson if need be with a more competent QB and for Rees well being Rees. Thankfully though, games like today end the discussion of what Rees is and we can all move on knowing we are pretty much attending an average Bowl game somewhere in the 8 win range.

• dsoffer - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

BTW, A pistol offense for a guy that is slower than NIX….some offensive genius Kelly turned out to be this year….

23. 25kgold - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

The sad reality is that even with the momentum we had late in the 3rdQ, there’s NO WAY our QB (nor defense) would of let us win this game. Gentlemen, welcome to YOUR ’13 Irish!!!! (strike up the ND band).

24. wrlc2013 - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The ND receivers really need a lot of practice and coaching regarding how to get separation when faced with tight press coverage. They really seem totally inept when facing tight man-to-man coverage. If I were a defensive coach about to play ND, I would be planning to play tight man coverage almost exclusively.

25. paulhargis53 - Oct 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I told you guys over the summer that ND was at least a 4 loss team. I was called many names and was told I was a hater.

Most likely another loss coming this week and Stanford will crush you. Hell,BYU may beat you!

Squathumped in the title game last year and back to a so so team this year. Couldn’t happen to a better fanbase.

Your unjustified arrogance is sickening, and is why people love to see ND lose.