Live Blog — Notre Dame vs. Arizona State

Oct 5, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT

Michigan State v Notre Dame Getty Images

With Notre Dame wearing home white uniforms, the Irish enter their annual Shamrock Series game hoping to replicate the glory days of Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys, who made wearing white at home fashionable.

Needing to shake off a disappointing loss to the Oklahoma Sooners, Notre Dame hosts Arizona State in AT&T Stadium, Jerry Jones’s shrine to modern technology, the nightmare of stadium purists that await Notre Dame’s upcoming renovations with dread.

As usual, I’ll be hosting the live blog here with our friends from Irish Illustrated. You’ll also be able to watch the game online live at NBCSports.com, where you’ll have full DVR functionality, additional camera angles and an HD feed.

In a game where the Irish are underdogs, lets buckle up and “enjoy” a football game that could be a good one.

***

1. fnc111 - Oct 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The team speed is so noticeable already in warmups. Wow! ASU has some sleek azz runners. 49-17 ASU tonight.

• bigmix86 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Please insert another quarter.

• joeblk10 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

and fnc proves to be a fool yet again….

2. oldestguard - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Kelly- show us some of that coaching savvy tonight.

Control the lines, win the game.

3. ndirish32 - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Is ND continually losing the coin toss and having to take the ball each week when the other team defers to the 2nd half? Seems like it’s 3 and out to start every week.

4. ndfan33 - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Sure would be nice is Rees could hit the broad side of a barn

5. seanb20124 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM

2nd week n a row can’t stop wr/rb screens wide

6. Tim's Neighbor - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Mid 3rd quarter, but I’m already punching in my vote for Heisenbyrg for Chat MVP.

7. irish4006 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

My comments do not show up in the chat window, :-(

8. irish4me - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Irish prevail 37 – 34, One question, what was Kelly thinking, we’re running the ball down their throats with 2nd and 1 and he has Tommy throw one up? Really, almost cost us the game.

• wrlc2013 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I agree, what a stupid call, can’t believe how he could make such a bone head call.

ASU got a real break on ND’s last drive, how was that not interference on the pass into the corner of the end zone? It’s the kind of thing that is called against ND all the time.

• irish4006 - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

2nd and 1 is like a free play, you can take a shot downfield and still hope to make it to a first down on third. Just because we are ahead by 3 doesn’t mean we should abandon all logical thinking, esp. when we are only leading by 3.

• wrlc2013 - Oct 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Problem is you can’t be sur e to get it on third down. Having 2 shots to gain 1 yard looked solid, getting it on 1 shot looked, and proved to be, risky.

9. NotreDan - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM

5 things…

1) we win

2) in

3) spite

4) of

5) Rees

10. getsome99 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

How bout them Irish!!!!

11. charlie617 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Whew! Saw more heart and hustle out of the defense tonight than the previous 5 games combined! Great game – best Shamrock Series game so far!

• wrlc2013 - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Couldn’t agree more, the defense really looked inspired for the first time this year. They brought back memories of last year.

12. getsome99 - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Tommy Rees! Tommy Rees! Tommy Rees! Tommy Rees!

13. papadec - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Maybe we can get back to being nice to each other (including the trolls) & stop the playground name calling?

• charlie617 - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Great call, Papa.

14. ndgoldandblue - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM

ndgold’s five things:

1) This may sound crazy, but the most important factor tonight may have been field turf. I can see why BK wants it so badly. This team seems noticeably faster on field turf than on real grass. They were flying around tonight. Sure, they may have had some extra motivation, some extra fire, and that might be part of it. But these guys just look fast on field turf. Now I know why the coaches throw out some of the soundbites we hear every week. They practice, 80% of the time, on field turf, so it would make sense that the team would look…I don’t know…great in practice. That would lead me, if I were the AD, to one of two conclusions: 1. practice more on grass, or 2. install field turf at Notre Dame Stadium. After all, if I’m a tennis player preparing for Wimbledon, I’m not going to practice on a hard court. That just makes no sense.

2) A lot of players stepped up tonight, but the game ball should go to Kyle Brindza. I know that he shanked that first field goal, but everything else he did was fantastic. The guy had a 53-yard field goal and a punt that was downed on the one-yard line, amongst other things. Has he had a better day?

3) I raise my glass to the coaches for continuing to commit to the running game. It started last week, and hopefully, it continues until the end of the season. We’re seeing a rejuvenated George Atkinson III, a very dependable, strong Cam McDaniel, and a very quick and darting Amir Carlisle. There is talent galore in these running backs, and I haven’t even mentioned Folston. If the coaches keep emphasizing it, I think our chances of winning games improves dramatically.

4) There are still a lot of things that make me scream at my television set. They are, in no particular order:
    -Some mind-boggling coaching decisions
    *Throwing it on 3rd and 9 with just over a minute left.
    *My wife actually asked me, “If they’re running it so well, why did they throw it on 2nd and 1?” To this I responded, “I DON’T KNOW!!!”
    -Tommy, just run the play. Quit audibling so much. I know that you’re just trying to help, but oftentimes, it makes things worse, i.e. false starts and delay-of-game penalties.
    -”Turn around fill-in-the-blank corner/safety!” The defense made quite a few plays tonight, which is very good, but they also have problems looking for the ball. I thought Gary Gray was an anomaly, but maybe Diaco doesn’t work on turning and looking for the ball much in practice.

5) Last night, I watched Rounders, which came out my freshman year in college. It got me thinking about my college days. Back then, I wasn’t nearly as invested in Notre Dame football as I am now. Sure, I watched them every Saturday, but win or lose, it didn’t affect my day, much less my week. I was a typical college student. To quote Lester Burnham from American Beauty, “All I did was party and get laid.” For me, there were no blogs, no watching practice videos, no breaking down recruiting 8 to 10 months before signing day. There was just the game. When it started, I watched, and when it ended, I stopped thinking about it. I’d like to get back to that, or at least close to it. In short, I need to get back to being a fan and not a fanatic. I need a break from this s#@!. I’ll check back in with you guys the day before the USC game, but no sooner. Great game tonight. Let’s hope the Irish can keep it up.

• dillonbigred - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM

On 3 and 9 with a minute, I see looking for the pass, but if nothing is there, Tommy can’t throw it away, hit the ground and lose 5 yards. The yards are meaningless at that point

• papadec - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Right on!!!!!!! Burning clock is the most important thing – other than not getting hurt.

15. getsome99 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Pretty good stuff from Gold and Blue. I was thinking the exact same thing about the turf. And it is great just to be a die hard fan. Enjoy the highs and shrug off the lows that come with each Saturday afternoon in the fall.

16. ndfan33 - Oct 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Huge win!

Defense was inspired and team looked fast on that field!

Thought Jaylon Smith came into his own and Prince Shembo was a beast!