Oct 14, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Last year, Notre Dame caught a break when quarterback Matt Barkley wasn’t able to play against the Irish. They might catch a similar break if All-American wide receiver Marqise Lee‘s knee injury keeps the Trojan’s best player off the field on Saturday.
The Biletnikoff winning wide receiver watched the Trojan offense explode in Ed Orgeron’s debut as USC’s interim head coach last Thursday night, but hopes he’s healed enough to make it onto the field in South Bend Saturday night.
Various reports surrounding the Trojan beat had Lee doing some individual work at practice on Sunday, but did not participate in any team work. Orgeron gave an update on a fairly lengthy injured list on Sunday and had Lee among those questionable along with linebacker Morgan Breslin, fellow receiver Victor Blackwell and a handful of others.
Injuries have plagued USC, limiting an already undermanned Trojan roster early this season. But even without Lee, the Trojans broke loose through the air against Arizona, with Nelson Agholor leading the way with seven catches for 161 yards and a touchdown as Cody Kessler threw for 297 yards on just 15 completions.
- Golson returns to the practice field 20
- Spring Solutions: Wide receivers and tight ends 23
- Cody Riggs officially joins the Irish 39
- Academic casualties proof that foundation at Notre Dame remains 120
- Irish succeed with 2014 class, even against the odds 121
- Notre Dame announces Campus Crossroads Project 39