Oct 18, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
On the eve of the Irish’s biggest recruiting weekend of the year, Notre Dame received a commitment from their smallest recruit on the board. That’s not to say South Florida’s Isaiah McKenzie isn’t a recruit to get excited about. In fact, one look at his highlight tape and you see a playmaker that will likely do big things from the moment he steps on campus.
McKenzie made official a commitment many thought was just a formality when this Tweet came from American Heritage High School’s Athletics Twitter page:
The 5-foot-8, 165-pound McKenzie looks like a prototype slot receiver, a position the Irish have looked near and far to fill. While size is an obvious concern, it’s not hard to think of former West Virginia star and Rams first round draft pick Tavon Austin and think of ways the Irish could use McKenzie.
One concern that many are reporting is a qualified test score that allows McKenzie to officially have a commitable offer to Notre Dame. Multiple premium recruiting websites have talked about the delay in McKenzie’s official visit is because he’s waiting to hear back on a test he took in early October. The tweet coming from American Heritage’s Twitter account was reportedly because McKenzie announced his intention to come to Notre Dame during the pregame Senior Night presentation.
If the commitment becomes official, which most expect it to be, McKenzie becomes the third wide receiver in the recruiting class, joining Justin Brent and Corey Holmes. McKenzie had offers from Michigan, South Florida, Cincinnati, and West Virginia among others, but the Irish were always the front runners.
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 53
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35
- RCS New Jersey: Two standing out for Rene
- RCS New Jersey: Johnson eyeing the Big Ten
- RCS New Jersey: Guarantano recruiting for Vols
- RCS New Jersey: Hawkins will cut list soon
- RCS New Jersey: Distance not a factor for Robinson
- RCS New Jersey: Gary recaps visits
- RCS New Jersey: Walker solid with Buckeyes