Irish offense catches USC with an up-tempo attack

Oct 21, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT

Rees USC AP

In the afterglow (or more appropriately, aftermath) of Notre Dame’s 14-10 victory over USC, most of the talk on the offensive side of the ball has been about Andrew Hendrix‘s struggles and the hit that knocked Tommy Rees out of the game.

But before either of those things occurred, the Irish offense had a breakthrough. They actually took a team to task with an up-tempo attack, moving the ball well with a check-free, call-it-and-haul-it approach that Irish fans have been waiting four seasons to see.

After the game, Kelly talked a little bit about the up-tempo offense, and how the Irish spent some of bye week finding a set of plays that would work.

“I thought we got some really good things out of it,” Kelly said, when asked to evaluate Rees in the hurry-up offense. “We had been trying to settle on a few plays that we really felt like Tommy could handle well without putting us in a position where we had to check anything.

“I didn’t want to check anything with him, and I didn’t want to be in a position where he had to pull it. And that’s not easy. So we settled on some plays, a cluster of plays that we felt were going to be good for us. I thought the tempo worked well, and I thought he played well.”

For those trying to parse some of that, one of the keys to Kelly’s comments were the, “I didn’t want to be in a position where he had to pull it.” That may be because Rees isn’t the fastest guy in the league, but it now seems more likely that the staff didn’t want to put Rees in a place where he could get hurt. As we saw, Rees is clearly the best option at QB1, which we found out just a few minutes later.

Heading into spring ball, it would have been impossible to see the current situation coming. Rees was the No. 2 quarterback and a great safety net. Gunner Kiel was a five-star, blue-chip No. 3, pushing for snaps. Even if Kiel wasn’t happy and looking to find a way out, Hendrix was a fourth-year player that had a ton of time in the program. For going on three seasons, many believed Hendrix could serve as a situational change-of-pace guy at the very least, and most likely could challenge Rees as the every-down quarterback as well. Add in an early-enrollee in Malik Zaire, and the Irish quarterback depth chart was the envy of college football.

Not anymore.

In many ways, this feels like starting over for Kelly. Four seasons ago, the Irish had a quarterback that they desperately needed to keep healthy, limiting the offense from using Dayne Crist as a runner because they couldn’t risk the injury. The gamble didn’t work, and Crist’s injuries — first “blurred vision” against Michigan and then another knee injury against Tulsa — gave rise to the Tommy Rees era.

For those clamoring for Zaire, the staff’s reluctance to play him is likely as much because he’s not ready as them wanting to save a year of eligibility. Here’s a young quarterback that came from a run-first high school program (just like Hendrix), was buried as the No. 4 quarterback during spring drills and then battled mono for much of the early season. To think the Irish will burn a redshirt if they don’t need to, and to think Zaire will be the guy that keeps the Irish BCS hopes alive, is pretty dicey. When the Irish went to Rees back in 2010, it was because they didn’t have another scholarship quarterback on the roster and Nate Montana had shown he wasn’t capable.

For now, the plan is to get Hendrix playing better and to get Rees healthy. If the Irish can do that, they’ll have a chance to use the up-tempo wrinkle some more, giving defenses one more thing to think about.

1. bernhtp - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

They need to get Hendrix playing way, way better. He caught an ultra-virulent version of Dayne Crist syndrome. Hell, he made Mitch Mustain’s performance look great from three of years ago.

Give that Hendrix is THE alternative to Rees, I hope they give him some significant snaps in upcoming games that should afford it. I’m assuming that his dismal performance was due to stage fright as much as anything else, and maybe this could be handled with some less-stressful situation snaps. He obviously doesn’t play like that in practice or else he wouldn’t even be allowed on the field. We have walk-ons that play better than that.

Hendrix is a smart, disciplined and even athletic guy that theoretically can contribute, if necessary, but we got to get the poor kid some form of therapy first.

• nducsb - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

So what bugs me is, if I remember right, Kelly was known for having backup QBs ready to go in Cinci. I think I remember in the undefeated year he had something like 3 different starting QBs, all her performed amazing. Why can’t he have at least ONE at Notre Dame, a place infinitly easier to recruit to?
      Also worth mentioning, his QBs at Cinci were all 2 star – no star prospects, and all of them did well. Rees was unknown but Hendrix was a 4 star QB… What gives?

• simmel65 - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

What gives is that our only two options at QB are Rees and Hendrix. Still from the Weis era. Kelly recruited Golson and Keil, but neither are here… Next year we will have 3 good options at QB.

And Rees is not a bad backup QB as evidenced last year. He just is our starter now and will end up a pretty darn good ND QB.

• onward2victory - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

nducsb, did you read the article?

As of the Spring, the QB depth chart was the envy of college football. One guy transferred and the other got suspended. Can’t blame Kelly for that too much can you?

• bernhtp - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

What gives is that nerves obviously overcame Andrew. The tension made him squeeze the ball too hard which showed up in those short-armed throws (hung onto the ball too long before release) and the fumble (squeezing a wet ball too hard is not good either).

He was scared and the initial miscues only created more apprehension. Again, Kelly wouldn’t allow him anywhere near Notre Dame stadium if he were really that bad – he isn’t.

We need to run up some quick first-half points against Air Force and give Hendrix at least a full Q against a crappy defense in a no-pressure situation. Have him gain some needed confidence. We might need him to step up sometime this year if Rees goes down again.

• ndnavy - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Good point Bern.

The TR debate has been long and tired. When he plays well he can be very efficient and help win football games. When he plays poorly he will lose games. Although I feel he has a very limited ceiling he is the best option. Zaire may lead this team to greatness, but not this year. It looks like EG hopefully will come back next year and do good things.

But the present only has TR and AH. I have been rooting for AH to put it all together. However I think it is obvious that he has never appeared comfortable ever dropping back to pass in a ND uniform. If this coaching staff gets AH to play winning football the deserve some high accolades.

In the meantime I really hope TR comes back soon (never thought I would say that)

• nducsb - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

You guys are right, and I did read the article, I think I am just upset at how bad Hendrix looked, after being in BKs system his entire career. He reminded me of the way Crist would look at times when he was confused — except Hendrix had the look the ENTIRE time hah. Stupid Kiel and his ever changing mind. that’s 4 schools for him to commit to if I am not mistaken.

• nducsb - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Also, I would like to add, that Kelly has been able to eek out every ounce of skill Tommy Reese has. That in and of itself is pretty impressive.

2. onward2victory - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

And on the 3rd day, Reesus rose to lead us to a BCS game.

3. yogihilt - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

PTI.

I fell asleep during game Sat night, but had it on DVR downstairs. I turned on ESPN at 2 am upstairs, and used headphones to listen to Sportscenter, with the picture off to let wife sleep, as I was dying to get score It was 14-10, when I drifted. (I have to get up 430 am every morn).

When I got done the hour show, I just knew ND had won. Why? Because it was not covered on the show, at all. N Illinois, an obscure golf tourney, and most college FB scores.. but no ND.

Now, if they had lost, ESPN would’ve covered it, in one of the first 3 or 4 segments.

Just thought I’d interject that.. now back to your comments. Go Irish

• kansasirish - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Dude you gotta get a smart phone. It’s very easy to find scores on them 😀

• yogihilt - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Hey dude, that wasn’t the point.. I could’ve just turned the TV on, and my Iphone 5s was next to me. It was just an ESPN thing, dude.

4. rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I’m not sure how this article starts off discussing how ND went up-tempo on a few plays (which honestly I barely noticed but I do only remember once or twice yelling at Tommy to snap the ball) to another edition of “How we got here: QB”.

Keith I agree with everything that you said but I feel like the whole QB thing is being beat to death.

The new wrinkle is now people are blaming Kelly for Hendrix’s shortcomings which I find absolutely ludicrous. This myopic point of view refuses to acknowledge some at least 1 common sense fact. Not every 4+ star prospect turns into an above average player. Sure some of those stories can be attributed to poor player development but you cannot ignore the reality that some guys just can’t make the leap from high school to college and furthermore from college to the pros.

• mtndguy - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Agreed, enough about the quarterback situation already. It is what it is, and no amount of blaming the players or Kelly will change it. There is a lot more going on with this football team than TR and Hendrix.

• kapnd73 - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM

mtnd and rational, I do see where you guys are coming from, looking for more on the up-tempo topic. I went back and read more closely, and Kelly’s quote should make many fans happy – They’ll use more frequently a set of plays that Tommy can do well – and not have to check out of – which helps keep the tempo fast and the defense on their toes, as you mention below, mtnd.

The quarterback talk came with Keith’s further analysis that having Tommy play check-free also potentially helps keep him injury-free, and is likely another reason for Kelly’s use of the up-tempo plays, since we’ve seen how the game could turn if TR is hurt.

While I don’t think KA was saying “I told you so,” I do think he was trying to ward off, or answer yet again the myriad questions of: Why is there such a shameful lack of depth at QB? and Why not play Zaire right now?

I’m very glad TR is ok and look forward to better play from Hendrix – as well as more up-tempo play!

Go Irish!

• jommy995 - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

It’s ALL about the quarterback! That’s why they call him the quarterback! If they can’t take the heat, they shoulda stayed outta the kitchen.

By the way, I gotta wonder if Kelly’s great QBs at Cincy were only great because, as with Tommy, the system can only carry em against mediocre D but gets them exposed vs. elite athletes. Just a theory. Or maybe they were great cause they could throw a little AND run a little.

I’m a big Hendrix fan. A recovering fan at this point. In the early stages. You know, DENIAL. Wondering if it isn’t all Kelly’s fault for never letting the guy play. Or Tommy’s fault for never blowing anybody out so he could play. Or Diaco’s fault for playing a prevent anytime we’re ahead by a touchdown and pretty much whenever the opponent ain’t in the red zone, whether we’re ahead by a touchdown or not. It’s all a scheme to hold a good man back.

By the way, if you want up tempo/no check downs, then for cryin’ out loud, play the kid who wouldn’t have a clue what to check out of in the first place. You KNOW he won’t change many calls.

• tucsonfan - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM

I have to believe you’re joking, right?

• getsome99 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

It’s probably just Keith’s way of saying “I told you so.” And while we’re at it, so did I.

The Rees defenders have been saying “enough talk about the QB” while the Rees bashers just kept turning it up. Now that the whole world got to see what most of us already knew, the Rees bashers want to stop talking about it.

• irish4006 - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

And, you are still an idiot for bringing up Rees bashers and Rees defenders repeatedly. There are no bashers or defenders, people will talk about good and bad. He played a good game against USC until getting hurt and he deserves a lot of praise. He played pretty poorly against OU and deserves the criticism. It is the same deal for every other player on the team. Get it?

5. mtndguy - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to see the interjection of some up-tempo play on Saturday. Playing up-tempo should keep the defense on their toes, and keep Tommy from having to change plays as often. I’ve hoped for an up-tempo office ever since Kelly came to town and we heard about all of the conditioning that Longo was putting the troops through. Hopefully this is a taste of things to come.

• richisirish - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Amen! Kelly finally made a point to his team they need start fast, put points on the board, and make the other team play catch-up. Even I let my emotions get the better of me and agreed at the time they should go for the TD on 4th and goal on the opening drive. Either way, I like that Kelly is looking for ways to motivate his team to play at a high level early and open the game with a score, which ND hasn’t done much of this year. More uptempo please!

6. charlie617 - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I think Luongo is one of the most important parts of this coaching staff. For years, it used to be Notre Dame’s players that got tired and sloppy in the fouth quarter. Now, our guys are stronger than the other team both mentally and physically and keep playing at a high level after their opponents have run out of gas. That’s in large part due to the strength and conditioning coach.

7. newmexicoirish - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I posted this about two weeks ago – but it seems just as relevant now. Given how thin we are at QB (which was really evident Saturday night) and how deep we are at running back, wouldn’t the lepracat make sense? As Keith points out, the uptempo is something else defenses will have to prepare for – so too the lepracat.
    Cam, Amir, or even T.J. should be able to handle it.

Go Irish, beat the Falcons!

8. andy44teg - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Ok, serious question…Are eligibility rules different for qb’s? If Zaire would come in and play a couple series as needed from what I take he’d lose his red shirt, but Greg Bryant can play special teams the first half of the year and even take a couple hand off’s, but he still would be able to red shirt if he doesn’t get back in for the rest of the year? Somebody please explain.

• rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

From what I have heard, Bryant is going to apply for a medical redshirt (Of this I’m positive) which can apply to someone who has played in less than (I think and I could be way off on this point) 1/4 of the season. Also, I don’t think Bryant has played since the Purdue or State game.

• joeblk10 - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Any play time after the first third of the season i believe is when you lose the redshirt. They can play in up to three games the first third but anything after that, even one play, and its gone. I’m not sure if i have time right but its something along those lines.

9. getsome99 - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Bravo! The comments here from the last couple of articles are starting to sound intelligent. There are the usual exceptions, of course, but it is what it is. Saturday was a great win and showed a lot of character from our defense. Season will come down to Stanford, but there’s a lot of football still between now and then. Good to see this team can still grind one out for a win when they need to.

• mtndguy - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Don’t forget BYU. I think they’ll give ND a game again this year.

10. domer77blowsgoats - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Fishing for thumbs up eh?

Season comes down to Stanford? If TR is out Stanford will be meaningless.

Grind one out when they need to? Did they not need to against UM and OK?

The BCS was doomed they day EG was suspended, this is a get the young guys the most experience possible, keep the recruits happy and build toward a real push in 2015 type of year.

• getsome99 - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Yes, exactly. Thank you for paying attention.

• rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I’m concerned next year about our serious lack of depth and experience at MLB. With Moore apparently unable to challenge Calabrese for playing time it seems he may not live up to expectations. While there is some help on the way with the next recruiting class, experience will be in short supply.

Another serious concern is Nose Tackle. Nix, Schwenke, and Stockton are all gone after this year. Who is going to man the middle of the line!? This shortcoming is more than a little shocking considering the importance of the NT in a 3-4.

Other than those 2 positions, 2014 could be a very good year to be a Notre Dame fan as well.

11. getsome99 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Question marks at WR as well. Someone will step up, but who. I’m banking on 17 to take the torch from TJ Jones.

• andy44teg - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I kinda like what I’m seeing from Fuller. Quick, fast and good hands. Haven’t seen Onwualu (sp?) in one play, have you?

• rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

WR should be just fine. Brown, Robinson, Prosise, Fuller, and Onwualu will fill in just fine, not to mention Daniels.

Units that should be above average next year:
        (Basically the entire offense)
        QB (Assuming the return of an improved EG)
        OLine
        WR
        RB
        TE

DB (includes safeties)
        OLB

Units that have huge questions going into the 2014 season:
        DLine- This depends on Tuitt. If he leaves along with Shembo who will step up in the pass rush? What will happen against the run without Nix clogging the middle?
        MLB- Lack of experience

• irishwilliamsport - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Fox, Calabrese and Nix are gone for sure and maybe Tuitt and Shembo, wow. Offfense should be dynamic with Golson back.

• oldestguard - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Onwuala has played in every game.Not sure what the actual snap count is.

I think his main point is that his future looks good – I’d agree with that.

12. getsome99 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I have not seen much of 17 in the passing game. Some of his peers seem to be ahead of him on the depth chart but you have to consider what they’re all being asked to do. None of the others can fill TJ’s role yet regardless of how they’ve played so far. But based on 17’s technique and execution on what he’s being asked to do so far, I’m picking him to be the next “complete” WR at ND.

• rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Where have you observed this technique and execution? He hasn’t caught a single pass this season.

• rationalnd - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I also meant to add how many snaps has he even received at WR? I know he plays ST but I can’t ever remember seeing him out on offense.

• getsome99 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

You would have to take your eyes off the ball to notice the little things he does that many WR’s never pick up. 17 is a big physical possession WR. He’ll get more targets in the next couple of weeks. Probably not the home run hitter that Brown, Fuller, and Hunter have the potential to be, but he will be the most complete WR out of the bunch going in to next season.

• rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

That’s not an answer to my question. If you’re so observant how many snaps has he played at WR? I’ll bet it’s less than 3 if that. Not much of a sample Size….

13. yaketyyacc - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

going with rees was like Custer insisting he could win without waiting for reinforcements to show up. going with Hendrix was like thinking that General Ewell could take Culp’s Hill at Gettysburg. He assumed command of Stonewall Jackson division, after Jackson was accidently killed. He ordered 15 thousand men to fall back in face of 800 Union soldiers. Why? He chocked in battle, was plagued with indecision. in both cases, it was the commanding general’s decision that led to defeats.
    Lee was redshirting Ewell for a future year, but that decision resulted in that future year never coming. We had a great chance this year, and now, are already talking about next year. so we lost a couple of games, so the South lost at Gettysburg, if the decision making remains the same, the results will be also. so wait till 2014,15,16. seen this movie. tired of the plot.

• dmacirish - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

what?

if you would like to use a gettysburg metaphorical comparison here then may i suggest the following – the horse is dead gentlemen, please stop shooting it. please move past the rees debate, it has been ruled upon and we all agree that coach knows what he is doing – rees gives us the best chance this year.

• rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hmm. Long winded and pointless. You have not seen Zaire take a single snap since at least the Blue and Gold game in which he was not impressive. I’ll never understand why you couch coaches think you know everything.

You’re basically saying that a guy fresh out of boot camp who got in a few brawls at the local saloon before should takeover for Lee because let’s face it he should have done better.

• rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Better yet:

What you’re saying is that Dwight Eisenhower should have been our head General in WW1. Sure he was fresh out of boot and sure we won anyway but if he had been running the show WW2 would have never happened!

14. 4horsemenrideagain - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

off topic, but here it goes:

i have never cared for the “throw it up and hope our guy comes down with it” strategy. from what i can tell, it started with golden tate, segued into the michael floyd/tyler eifert era, and when eifert graduated i was hoping that the passing attack would be more deliberate and less up-for-grabs tosses. fortunately, this has been the case.

looking back on this season so far, there are a significant number of balls that are thrown TJ Jones’ way that to my mind, are low percentage passes and ones that it might be a bit unfair to expect him to make because he’s not the acrobatic receiver tat was and not the height/weight specimen that floyd and eifert were, but that to his credit, he comes up with. by “low percentage” i mean small window, tough angles, limited space for establishing possession and getting a foot down. now, these haven’t been the long ball, hail mary types that golden tate was known for hauling in, but all the same, jones has had some amazing grabs, many coming on clutch third downs or for scores. i’d like to see what his percentage of catches is out of the total (catchable) throws to him. i would bet it is over 90%. what i’m getting at here is that he gets it done when it counts and still seems to be under-rated.

15. oldestguard - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Rees, if healthy, is the man for the rest of this year.

Back-up is important for 2 reasons – Tommy goes down and we need the next guy in as we are trying to put the finish on a decent year, and secondly, reps and experience for next year.

I don’t pretend to know or see what Kelly sees on a daily basis, but from what I do see – my opinion is that Hendrix cannot help us much in either way.

Now if Zaire is truly not ready, then fine.

If he is ready, I believe he should be the next man in for the rest of the season.

I’m glad to hear Golson appears to be on track to return, but how can anyone be certain of much after what happened to the QB depth chart this season.

I would error on the side of using every resource to build a strong program now and allow the programs success to attract the type of recruits we will need up the road.

Last thing anyone will want to see is next season’s opening roster with no game experience at QB.

• getsome99 - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I firmly believe Golson will be back for one more season. After that, Dashone Kizer will be the next QB in line. I know he’s still in high school and I normally don’t waste time talking about players who are not on the team, but this kid is the real deal. A lot can happen between now and then, especially when it comes to ND QB’s, but I’ve seen as much of Zaire as I have with Kizer and Zaire hasn’t been able to surpass Hendrix on the depth chart which is an indictment in itself.

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Nobody is the real deal until they prove it at ND, just like nobody is a committment until they show up and stay.

16. thefightinfloyds - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Ugly win, one of the strangest games I have seen in awhile. I think if we were playing anyone else we would have lost. USCs horrible playcalling, lack of depth and backbreaking penalties let us win that game. Had they put together one drive in the whole 2nd half or their kicker made those 2 fgs then the game was over. Hats off and a deep bow to the D, wow what a performance. Have to go back to last seasons Wake Forest game to see the D dominate like they did against USC in that 2nd half. I cant really criticize too much, win over USC and most of the team looked good other than the obvious. Although it seems to me that the RBs need to practie a little patience after they get the ball. Too many times it seemed that McDaniel or Atkinson would run up the backs of the OL, drop their shoulder and plow for 2-4 yards….why not sit back a second and make a cut. The backside seemed open on a lot of those plays. I dont know if thats a lack of vision or patience but there I got it out….I had to criticize at least one thing about this win haha.

17. rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Just an Update:

ESPN’s Matt Fortuna is reporting that Rees has been cleared for practice today and should play this weekend vs. Air Force.

Here’s hoping he’ll be done by the end of the 1st half and Hendrix gets some time to work through his issues.

• papadec - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I wouldn’t mind if Hendrix started the game vs a 1-6 AF that has something close to the worst defense. At any rate, I expect him to play most of the game. I’m just very annoyed (pissed off) that the game is on cbs sports network. I don’t get it on DISH. Does anyone know if there are one, or more, sports bars in the Seattle area that ND fans gather to watch the game?

• irish4006 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

It’s Buckley’s in Queen Anne where they usually have a gathering at every game. I haven’t been to one yet, but plan on going on this Saturday. You can call them to confirm – http://www.buckleysseattle.com/mainpage.htm.

• irish4006 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

BTW, I will expect a Mac and Jack’s for this information.

• papadec - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:21 AM

If I get over there (I live on the East Side of Lk Wash), I’ll need help with a pitcher or so of Mac &, so yeah you got it. UW hosting Cal, so I’ll have to avoid the 520 bridge.

• irish4006 - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I live on the eastside too, not having the game on tv (Dish) is the perfect excuse for me to drive over for the gathering. Look for a very handsome man with a 10 yr old kid with their #5 and #80 jerseys on, respectively.

18. loadofwash - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That wasn’t up tempo… I’d call it pee yourself fear!

• papadec - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM

So it finally comes out – load pees himself. How else would you know about pee yourself fear? tsk, tsk, tsk – with all your big talk, I figured you were at least potty trained. THAT explains your tag!!!!