Rees cleared for practice

Oct 22, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT

Tommy Rees, Amir Carlisle AP

Tommy Rees has been cleared to practice and will be on the field this afternoon with the Irish, Brian Kelly announced during his weekly press conference. The senior quarterback was pronounced day-to-day on Sunday by Kelly after a sack last weekend knocked Rees out of the game with a high hit, but has progressed nicely after the team’s day off.

“We’re moving forward that he will be the starter,” Kelly said. “Knowing that it’s Tuesday, we feel a lot more confident that Tommy will be prepared and ready for Saturday.”

Rees returning to the practice field quells any immediate quarterback concerns for the Irish at quarterback, with both Andrew Hendrix and Malik Zaire getting more reps this week, just in case. The focus will be on making sure that Rees is ready to go, but also getting Hendrix up to speed after a disappointing performance on Saturday.

“He’ll get the first two or three reps, to make sure he’s functioning properly,” Kelly said of the Rees’ practice workflow. “Then we’ll pull him out and Andrew will get first team reps. It’s just making sure he is functional and progressing during the week. As long as he looks good on Thursday, we move into Saturday without any hesitation.”

The Irish will be facing an Air Force defense that’s 118th in the country this weekend, a nice break after facing five defenses in the top 30.

1. jonnybrooklyn - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM

This is very good news. Now everyone just agree, will ya?!

If Hendrix needs to jump in, sure won’t hurt that it’s against the team where he had his all-time longest rush (78 yards, 2011).

• Seamus - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Totally agree. Haven’t been the biggest TR fan in the past couple of years but after what we saw Saturday he does give ND the best chance to win.

Just glad the young man will be alright.

GO IRISH!!!

• trbowman - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Hate to say I told ya’ll so.

Actually that’s crap, I like tooting my own horn.

Hendrix and Zaire are two athletes trying to play quarterback. Neither understands the nuances of the position. They can’t throw it accurately nor read a defense to save their life. Zaire has a shot given he’s just a first year, Hendrix lack of progress is alarming.

Tommy knows the calls, reads defenses and can audible into good plays, throws with accuracy (well, usually). He gives Notre Dame a shot to win most weeks.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Tommy isn’t capable of it either. The quarterback you’re talking about is not on this team, possibly. There’s only one guy we have not seen so you can’t say sht just yet. He can read defenses, woopty freaking doo, who can’t?you still gotta get the ball there. Accuracy? If he were peeing in the toilet, the pee would be all over the toilet seats, possibly along w bowel movement. That’s how accurate he is.

• dmac4real - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

How do you know: “Zaire is an athlete trying to play quarterback. He doesnet understands the nuances of the position. They can’t throw it accurately nor read a defense to save their life.”…?

Youve never even seen him play…This is ridiculous.

2. getsome99 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Very good news.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Um yeah, after watching Hendrix play, I welcome Andrew Hendrix Sr. W open arms. Just got off the phone w Paris Hilton n she said You guys suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk at QB n stuff, just sayin. I never thought I’d agree much w Paris about football but can’t say I don’t.

Play da focking freshman brian wtf. Why you recruit him for? What’s he like a got dam furcoat in a closet you have to wait for the right time to bust it out? Play da focker!!!

I also read where we offered another 3 star pro style QB, wtf. Yeayyyyy!***FIST UP THE A$$***

• 1notredamefan - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You’ve never had much for me to reply to but It Is ppl like you that cause turmoil in this world! We all know we all can’t ‘just’ get along but chaos is an extreme alternative! You’re an Irish fan… so am I, Cheers!!!

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM

You really need to grow up and show some class. Your potty mouth bull is an embarrasment and a waste of space on this board. Its puerile and ignorant.

• mcirish27 - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Wow, a Paris Hilton joke. So clever and relevant. Glad to have you here, Dick.

• runners00 - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

This is, like, the funniest thing I have read on the Irish QB situation. The fur coat. Hill-are.

3. 4horsemenrideagain - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

i am happy for TR that he is healthy and able to play next week. he had a nice first half and if he hadn’t gotten knocked out, i think he was well on his way to hanging up some nice numbers on the spoiled children.

all the same, i was looking forward to seeing luke massa and charlie feissinger get some snaps, but that’s the breaks i suppose.

4. mimefrog - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

“And on the 3rd day, Reesus rose to deliver passes to the faithful and checks at the line.”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

5. NotreDan - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

This is good news. I just wish MZ was next in. It started to seem like that in the article but the actual BK quote does not mention MZ taking reps, which is disappointing.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Is Zaire that retarded that we can’t trust he’d play better than Hendrix? I could’ve gone out there in my old age and done more than Hendrix. If so why are we recruiting retards? What is BK trying to hide?

Cmonooooooonnnnnnnn MAaaaaaasNnnn!

• rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Putting in Zaire will not put ND into the National Title game. Even if ND wins out there is only a snowballs chance in hell they’ll be ranked in the top 14 and eligible for a BCS Berth. There’s an even smaller chance that this ND team could seriously compete with a legit top ten team in said BCS Game. Also for the record I would love nothing more than to see this team evolve into a well oiled machine come years end, however the competition over the next few weeks will not confirm this until the Stanford game.

So with all that in mind, What on Earth would anyone have to gain from Zaire playing at all this season? The only scenario that would prove to be a benefit would be if for some reason Golson doesn’t come back next year. THAT would be an absolute nightmare which I choose to ignore as even remotely possible. Could you imagine Zaire with little to no experience and Hendrix being our only options?

Awe hell I think I just convinced myself that Zaire should get some playing time this year just so we aren’t completely “FUBAR” should Golson not return…

I must go and drink heavily to forget this scenario is a possibility….

• NotreDan - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Is this your measuring stick? If so you and BK decided before the season to play for next year which is FUCKING vulva rash territory

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

There’s always a fifth year for Tommy LOL

6. dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Fu BK. Screw next year, we want results now. Let’s see what this kid Zaire is made of!

• rationalnd - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I still stand by what I said above that putting in Zaire will not put ND into the Title game and winning out is no guarantee of a BCS bowl, so what positive results on this year’s season are you convinced we will see?

A win by 28 points as opposed to 21 over Air Force? Hardly worth wasting a year of eligibility.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Rational, go ask Zaire if he’d be wasting a year if he played next week? You and BK are the only ones that think that. I used to be all about quote/unquote preserving a year of eligibility but that’s bullsht because these guys transfer and get suspended or the coach wants to interview for a new job. Doesn’t mean sht man. What da hell did you preserve exactly by sittin on your a$$ for year. Hendrix redshirted didn’t he? What did he get out of it? Golson worked out well because he didn’t have the IQ clearly to pick up the offense in given time. As of right now, you can’t count on Golson. So Zaire plays bad, who cares he’s got a focking scholarship is he gonna cry about why the coaches wasted a year? I higher than a kitely doubt it.

• NotreDan - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Amen dick. Your best post of the yeat

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Thank you Dan and no I do not have yeast infection as I know you were about to imply.

• NotreDan - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM

LOL.

YEAR.

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Classy as usual–NOT.

7. mediocrebob - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You mean to tell me BK was playing Rees all this time bc he’s the best option? I don’t buy it. BK just has some weird affection toward TR.

In all seriousness, I’m glad you people realize how childish you sounded when making these claims before.

• getsome99 - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Same people that think Brian Kelly actually reads their comments.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Not only does he reads the comments he also reads minds which is why he will play Zaire because he knows I want him to play and if he don’t play him I’m gonna tell Malik to transfer.

8. yogihilt - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Why use Zaire now, we are projected by 2 ‘experts’ for the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee stadium for God’s sake! Dec 28! If TR healthy, let him go. If not, and gets hit again and out for year, then get MZ more ready for game action. Hendrix clearly not a full game option.
    Go Irish

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Why play? Because I’d like to see what we got given we are not sure what we’ve got next year. If anything get the goosebumps outta the way. Is he another Hendrix? Is he another Rees? Is he another golson? I’d like to know.

• NotreDan - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Spot on dick.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well I for one thoroughly expected to see Zaire play some this year especially after golson got suspended. I know Zaire got sick or whatever but it’s time now to put him in as you just found out your 2nd string QB is EL STINKO as is your starting one. What’s a 3rd EL STINKO?

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Dick, you may want to know because you haven’t seen him play. I think Kelly has a good idea though, and that’s a little more important than your opinion or the rest of us here on this board.

• bearcatirishfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM

At 9-3 is that really our only option if we are 9-3 this year. Darn conference affiliations. Not that playing ant Yankee stadium sounds all bad, was pretty good to us last time.

9. thefightinfloyds - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Whewwwww, I just exhaled… Didnt think he was going to lose any time but just the possibility was giving me the shakes. Somewhat funny (because we won) but Ive never seen a QB “controversy” dismantled so efficiently and so quickly, for a mintue I had a delusion that I might do better in that game coming straight off my couch! Well, I have to say 4-2 and going into our cake schedule feels pretty damn good. The way Michigan has played stings but I could see them pulling it together and knocking off OSU, maybe some late season style points that help our ranking. And it seems Oklahoma is ranked 14th? I believe in the BCS standings, if they win out then they could easily be in the top 10. Stanford looks vunerable and its not shocking, for some reason the media has been on Stanfords nuts all year and I was glad they lost. A win in a meeting of 2 loss teams in Palo Alto to end the season would really help this program as they go forward. I thought a chance to go back to the NC was attainable but after the EG drama 10-2 is what I predicted with a BCS win…hopefully thats the case.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Well one thing we found out is Hendrix is garbooch. Great person, student. I’d let him bang my daughter, sure. Starting qb at ND? No way Jose. How did he get a athletic scholarship? We should’ve just given him the education scholarship for his grades and not waste the athletic scholarship.

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:37 AM

This has been a fun and interesting board the last few days, then you showed up again and lowered the average IQ by about 50% and the level of discourse at least as much.

10. papadec - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Hendrix could be a full, or most, game option vs the 1-6 Airedales.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Not if we start Zaire papa, not if we play Zaire. I hope Tommy’s shoulder stiffens slightly where he can only throw5 yard passes in lieu of his 10yd passes.

• papadec - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:04 AM

They won’t play Zaire unless both TR & AH are unable to play.

11. poppajohn818 - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I for one would rather lose getting experience then lose with experience. Rees makes Freshman mistakes, takes too long and changes up too much resulting in 33% of bad football. I thought we would see a faster offense with Zaire. Speed in a QB is part of Coach K’s offense I though

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You tell these morons pappa, you tell em!

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I’m curious why you think we’d have a faster offense with Zaire? He hasn’t played a down of college football. He did not show anything in the Blue and Gold game. Are you saying that on faith, or because he did well in high school? Neither of which is a rational basis for overturning what the coaches are seeing.

• ndirishfan63 - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

He did throw for the only TD in the game!! I thought he looked pretty good!!

12. jem5b - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Good to hear that TommytheR is healthy.
    We should all be so fortunate to maximize our abilities as TR has done.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM

So are you saying that that’s basically all he got and he can’t get no better? Great.

13. loadofwash - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Can’t wait to see tommy boy on Sunday’s. Excuse me, that would be like the Irish winning a meaningful bowl game. Oh well, better luck with the next recruit class. Can’t get any worse, or can it? What a joke…

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Hey just so you know, we did sign a 5 star qb. He’s now starting for a football powerhouse Cincinnati, You ever heard of em? TAKE THAT!

• papadec - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:08 AM

C’mon load – you can do better than that!!!!! Your posts used to have some sting – now they’re more like an aging mosquito on an elephant’s butt.

• mediocrebob - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I know. Don’t we all wish Notre Dame could be more like your boys at Penn St? They have more big wins, more history and tradition. Man. You sure are lucky. Someday maybe…let me know how your boys do in Columbus this weekend. Should be another tough Big ten game…

14. loadofwash - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM

TR ranks 63. Not bad. Oh that’s in the bottom half. My bad.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Oh man, so close to 69th so close…if he ranked 69th, I’d have no choice to love him because 69 is my favorite number

15. trbowman - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

In other news, Cierre Wood is a moron.

• dickasman - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Good thing you brought it up. What a focking car washing dumbass! He’s about to get some PT and gets caught smokin blunts. If he woulda stayed, well I think he could’ve beaten out McDaniel.

Unreal car washer. Let’s hope Jerry Reese bails his ass out n signs w giants.

16. ndfenian - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Besides our poor running game, the other thing that kills me about our offense is our unwillingness to throw the ball deep! Sure we throw 20 yd fade patterns to the sideline but nothing really at all in the way of deep posts etc. We’ve been facing defenses selling out against the run all year long so don’t we ever try some rain-makers??

• ndfaithful - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Dude, the games have been pretty good. You should watch them.

• ndfenian - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

So many smart asses on this blog… At least provide some facts for me, damnit! (yes add damnit to the dictionary!) Maybe I’ve missed something you all haven’t, but why can’t we try the long ball more often?? I know Rees can throw the ball 60 yards in the air, so don’t mention that reason.

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I think Rees missed enough long balls on the OU game to last the rest of the season.

• ndfaithful - Oct 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

You’re right. In all seriousness, I should add some facts. The fact is, your comment is retarded.

• ndfaithful - Oct 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

ok, ok. That was totally uncalled for. But seriously, for weeks the comments were about 25% about how angry everyone was about all the long passes – especially on 3rd and 1. We thru deep deep deep against Temple. We threw deep against Michigan. Then it continued against Purdue, Michigan State, Oklahoma, and ASU to varying degrees. Then we throw a few deeper sideline routes against USC (admittedly not deep center post routes), and then comes your comment.

I should not be such a smarty pants, but your comment seriously made me wonder if you watched the games.

17. irishaggie - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

We have played true freshman QBs before and it has been a nightmare. Does anyone remember Jimmy Clausen’s freshman season? I know that team was horrible across the board but the guy was clueless. I remember all of you calling for Dayne Crist to replace him when he came in. How did that work out? Does anyone remember Tommy Rees starting as a freshman? The Tulsa game still makes me shake my head. Everett Golson was pretty incompetent his first 2 games and he was a REDSHIRT freshman. What makes us think Malik Zaire will be great. There is a reason great teams like Alabama, LSU, or Oregon never play TRUE freshman. The offense is moving the ball and we are turnover free for the most part, lets just breathe in and breathe out.

Also let me get this out of the way. We are not playing for next year. If we were playing for next year we would playing Malik Zaire. Brian Kelly wants to win with a QB that knows the playbook and is a natural leader. Will Malik be better than Tommy? Yes, I hope so, but he’s not right now and I have no problem with Tommy as the QB.

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Yep, exactly right on all counts Irishaggie.

• bernhtp - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM

You’re right. We might play Zaire if primarily concerned about next year, not this. Kelly wants to win this year and Golson will apparently return for next. I’m continually mystified by the experts here that think they know more about Zaire than Kelly and Martin when they have nothing but high school highlights and they see him play every day.

With that said, I don’t necessarily believe that Rees is playing on Saturday. Kelly has a long history of providing misleading information about the health of his players. Look at the statements about Sheldon Day for the last month as an example. My guess is that Rees will play, but it’s far from certain.

Regardless, Hendrix needs to be given significant time in the AF game. He should throw a lot of balls and get into a rhythm and gain confidence. If he still isn’t producing by the end of a game against such a crappy defense, maybe it is time to make Zaire the emergency option.

• irishwilliamsport - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Zaire is coming back from Mono and is not ready physically either. It takes months to recover from mono and just because he is cleared for physical activity does not mean he’s ready to QB against Navy or Pitt or BYU or Stanford.

18. jerseyshorendfan1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Rees? I’ve heard neck strain or that he possibly had a concussion. Seems like Kelly has been purposely vague about it. Has there been a diagnosis?

• bernhtp - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM

As I said above, don’t expect clear and accurate statements from Kelly about the health of his players in a case like this. He accentuated the positives about Rees being cleared for practice, but that probably means just taking a few snaps without any contact or stress. He was amazingly vague about the nature of the injury. I would not be surprised if it included a concussion besides the neck strain.

19. irishwilliamsport - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Obviously Rees got hit in the head and BK is blatantly saying it was a neck thing. Why even play him this week, if he gets hit again he’s out indefinately and forget about the season. Get Hendrix the game time he desparately needs, because last week was a rough performance from a major college QB, scary bad.

• bernhtp - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

BK talks about neck strain, and I’m sure this exists. What was never definitively said was “Yea, Tommy was evaluated for concussion and the tests were negative; neck strain is all the doctors see.” Instead we got a bunch of blah blah blah about about not competent to talk medically about anything in the neck/head area.

We all saw Tommy hit the ground hard, with his head, woozy as he left the field, clearly tested on the sideline for concussion, sent to the locker room, and later returned sans uniform with no neck brace or any obvious indication of cause. Does anyone else here smell a concussion?

I still think there’s a good chance Tommy might play this weekend, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Even if he is available, expect a lot of Hendrix against a very, very week AF team for the obvious reasons I previously enumerated.

20. yaketyyacc - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

so Rees plays this year, and Golson returns next year. so, if you are Zaire, you have to at least think you will NOT get the chance to play. at Notre Dame. so you think Kiel regrets transferring?
    Papadoc, you are wrong. It isn’t when Rees or Hendrix get injured for Zaire to start. only when the waterboy gets injured, and even then, I hear a cheerleader still will be ahead of him.
    and who said freshmen cannot win? two words, JOHNNY FOOTBALL. thank goodness, Texas A&M has a gutsy coach

• dbldmr - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Manziel was a redshirt freshman. I think having a full year (and not having mono) before playing makes a difference.

• danirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Manziel was a red-shirt freshman.

You are not Zaire

There may be some issues that we know nothing about that may be hamstringing Zaire.

GO IRISH!

21. domerboyirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Finally I have a minute to comment. My perspective:

Rees is a pretty good quarterback. He is football smart, a hard worker, never complains, he has assumed a leadership roll he has the respect of the players and coaches. If he had matching athletic ability he might actually be exceptional when combined with the above attributes. However, those limitations show us every thing we need to know about Rees. This is as good as it gets but he is clearly the best option for right now. Hendrix has ‘ability’ but doesn’t have the intangibles required to be a big time QB. It just goes to show that talent isn’t everything.

When it comes to Malik Zaire, I don’t see why we are so concerned about maintaining another year of eligibility. I think it is the wrong philosophy and may really hurt us in the future. Who is the QB next year? We have no guarantees that Golson will be back or that he will even improve. So there is a chance that we go into next year with a QB with zero experience? Are we already saying that next year has a chance of being another project at QB? In year five of the Kelly Experience? Ugh. How can we take that chance? I think it is so critical that we get MZ meaningful game experience NOW. We have four games where we might be able to build big leads and get him quality time on the field. SEC teams do it all the time. Their back ups have almost as much experience as the starters because they are usually playing the entire second half in a 65-0 route of Pacific. We NEED to get this kid as much playing time as we can get him.

• simmel65 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

The problem is that Notre Dame almost never blows a team out! In all our wins last year, we rarely had the game wrapped up at half. I attribute that to two reasons:

1) We don’t play FCS teams or mid major teams, we play BCS teams week in and week out. I’m sure we never get healthy by playing those teams, even if it is a Purdue, those are still big time players out there. There is a reason that every SEC team plays a garbage team on their off week from the SEC. You don’t see them playing a USC in the middle of the season, like ND does.

2) Kelly, for whatever reason, gets too conservative against every team. He coaches like a pro coach in that his sole motivation is to win this week, so he never puts the pedal to the metal and blows out teams. When he gets a lead, he milks the clock. It worked well last year, and if Golson was here this year, I think most of us believe we would be 7-0 right now.

That said, I for one, would still like to see Zaire gets some snaps this year. I don’t see how preserving a year will help. Golson has 3 more years left, so if he is a stud, Zaire only sees the field as starter for one year. Also, you do have to look at next year. Who says Hendrix will even be back? Look at how it worked out last year with Rees. When Golson struggled, we had a backup with starter experience coming in. We won’t have that next year and with our penchant for playing games close, when would Zaire ever see the field? That is why this year is an excellent chance to get Zaire a few snaps.

• texasirishfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Golson only has 2 more years left. A player has 5 years in which to use his 4 years of eligibility. He used is first year as a redshirt, last year and now this year. He only has 2 years left. In very unusual situations a player can get a 6th medical year, but that didn’t even happen with Slaughter this year, or was it last year.

• domerboyirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Texas, is that really how it works? I may be wrong but for some reason I thought the clock didn’t start ticking until they actually played. I thought that the ‘redshirt’ was a way of designating years left of eligibility. A player that doesn’t play as a freshmen, that still has four years available, and is a sophomore in school is a redshirt freshman. Meaning that he has freshman playing status.

I guess my view might be tainted by schools like BYU. A kid comes in as a freshmen and doesn’t play, then leaves on a two year mission, comes back and has four years remaining. Isn’t the average age of a player at BYU like 25 years old? Can someone smarter than me clarify how this works?

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

domerboyirish, Golson has 2 years left. He played last year, was suspended this year (but it still counts), so he has 2 left.

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Domerboyirish, a typical BYU player would be 21 their first year of playing. Mission (age 18-19), redshirt (age 20), start playing (age 21). Of course not all BYU players redshirt, but most of them go on a Mission.

• domerboyirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Thanks guys!

• danirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

SEC teams also red-shirt all the time. Alabama grey shirts.

• NotreDan - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM

great post domer. I think I get all the thumbs down because I swear.

• tucsonfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I would bet that Kelly just doesnt think Zaire’s ready to play, possibly due to mono after effects (which Kelly likely wouldnt say as he’s always as obtuse as possible about injuries etc), more likely because he thinks he just isn’t going to be able to hack it yet and why ruin his confidence etc.

On the other hand, seeing Hendrix play last week, everything is probably up in the air in Kelly’s mind.

22. ndfenian - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Why don’t we attempt more deep passes? I mean like 60 yard bombs to at least threaten defenses that are stacking the run? Rees’ arm strength is not the issue, contrary to popular theory.

• mtndguy - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

It’s not his arm strength, it’s his accuracy. Did you see the OU game? He missed a lot of open deep passes.

23. danl16 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Next year EG will be the starter and MZ back-up qb.If EG gets hurt, will MZ be prepared like AH was? How many times have we heard “Ive been coaching for 23 plus years” mantra and BK had no back-up qb prepared. Or the fact BK was going to take over special teams another disaster! BK gets A-plus for recruiting but for all his touted experience, its hard to believe how ill-prepared they are.

• ndfenian - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I mean the hope is Rees can play the balance of the season as the starter. I would have a hard time believing that Zaire as true fresh can step in now and give us a better chance to win than Rees as a senior. Is that how you see it?

I would have liked to have seen Hendrix more in power-run situations, similar to the way Oklahoma used Bell last year. Goal-line etc. I liked the way he ran over that USC guy. The excuse for not putting Hendrix in on those situations is that “well if they know we’re going to run, it’s impossible”. Bull-crap! If you have a good running game, it doesn’t matter if the other team and everybody in the country knows you’re going to run on a certain play. See Holtz years, or Colin Klein last year, Stanford past couple years etc.

24. danirish - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I can just see it now – Kelly puts in Zaire, he flops around, ND loses, and some folks (you know the ones – constantly calling for Zaire to be put in, making those decisions from the safety of their own home) cry that he sucks, Kelly can’t do this (except get us to the BCS championship), Kelly can’t do that, and then they might add a childish, vagina “joke.”

You know what:

Don’t care who plays

JUST WIN BABY! GO IRISH!

25. jerseyshorendfan1 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We won’t see Zaire this season. The spleen can swell with mononucleosis, making it prone to rupture with any hard contact. It would be almost criminal to let him play this year. I don’t imagine that any competent doctor would allow him to play this year, particularly with how doctors are so conservative due to fear of malpractice suits.