Big recruiting weekend nets positive results

Oct 23, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT

Bo Scarbrough

While the weekend got off to an early start with the commitment of slot receiver Isaiah McKenzie, no other recruits pulled the trigger after visiting South Bend for the Notre Dame-USC game. But that doesn’t mean the weekend wasn’t a positive.

The Irish entertained several big names last weekend, making positive strides with keystone guys like defensive tackle Matt Elam, Dallas defensive back duo Nick Watkins and Payton Hendrix, Chicago linebacker Nyles Morgan, safety JuJu Smith, Alabama running back commitment Bo Scarbrough, and tight end Tyler Luatua.

But if you’re looking for one of the best recruiting jobs to take place over the weekend, look no further than Brooklyn, New York. That’s where current Irish commit Jay Hayes went to watch elite defensive tackle Thomas Holley play and sold the Irish in a really impressive way.

Here’s a video that gives you a first-hand look at how impressive Hayes is as a person, speaking intelligently as a recruit and all but reciting the Notre Dame sales pitch. (For as polished as Hayes is as a student-athlete, he might be an even better dresser.)

1. The Fearless Competitor, Jeff Ogden - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

That was an awesome sales pitch. All he did was look at the camera and rave about what a great academic school Notre Dame is. And the way Holley stared at him as he talked was really wild.

2. kiopta1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Also he was styling.

3. papadec - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

It’s their peers that really sell/influence the recruits on their college & life choices.

4. dickasman - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo.

I dunno, is this exciting? I couldn’t tell ya who’s who. I hope they got da grades

5. loadofwash - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Do they check now to see if the girl friends (& boy friends) are real?

• papadec - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Only matters to you load, only to you.

6. machine64red2 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Notre Dame is the pinnacle of Football and academics! Every recruit headed to either the NFL or the real world should consider the Mecca of college football… South Bend!! We are…. ND

7. mediocrebob - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Load-

Do they check now to make sure your defensive coordinators aren’t into little boys?

8. dbldmr - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I was born in Brooklyn. I saw my first high school football game with my uncle at Lincoln High. He was an athletic administrator there. My father graduated from Lincoln. Thomas, c’mon down to South Bend. It is a forty year advantage. Go Irish!

9. fnc111 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

He should’ve tried to sell that they will develop you to get to the NFL. That’s what stud recruits want to hear. A job in Japan is great but a five million dollar signing bonus sounds better from the NFL.

• danirish - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yes, no one ever made millions or signed a bonus with just a degree from Notre Dame

/sarcasm

GO IRISH!

• 1historian - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM

to you, grasshopper, falls the onerous duty of standing out in the public square with a sign hanging around your neck proclaiming

“I DON’T GET IT”

10. loadofwash - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Darn shame south bend is a pit.

• papadec - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM

And usc, with their drive by shootings is so wonderful? Have you seen what New Haven is like? Miami? When are you going to come out of the closet & tell us who you actually root for? Is it really Penn St? I suppose it is easier to run down some other institution(s) than to toot your own horn.

• mediocrebob - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

“Me thinks” Load is a little worried to come out. I know he’s a PSU fan. I also know that he’s scared of me.

• nducsb - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I’ve had friends who went to USC get held up at gun point — but then tell me “its really close to Downtown and Hollywood!”… congrats… I think?

11. nducsb - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It’s awesome seeing all the defensive recruits who were there to see that performance.

12. poppajohn818 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

This says a lot for him as a person as well as for ND

13. loadofwash - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

We’ve been hear’n about “positive” recruiting, yet it now falls on ye deaf ears. Me thinks the truth shall free the silly Irish followers from the murky clouds of crap that festers over them like lime disease. The truth damn’t, I want the truth!