Injuries: Nix out for Air Force, Lombard lost for season

Oct 24, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Christian Lombard

Big news came out of South Bend today as Brian Kelly announced that the Irish will be without defensive tackle Louis Nix this weekend. Nix was already being monitored for a balky shoulder that took him off the field for a few snaps against USC, but was limited this week with knee tendinitis. He won’t make the trip to Colorado Springs.

Without Nix, the Irish defensive front will be tested against Air Force’s option attack, and will likely slide both Prince Shembo and Ishaq Williams down to defensive end and use Stephon Tuitt inside. Kelly spoke earlier in the week about option offenses not being the easiest for Nix to play against and it’s hard to tell how much of this is preventative. Senior Kona Schwenke will have the opportunity to play more on the inside as well.

While Nix’s injury doesn’t look to be too serious, the season of right guard Christian Lombard was ended after he had back surgery this week to repair a herniated disk. The senior lineman (who has another year of eligibility remaining) slid over to play guard to allow Ronnie Stanley to play tackle. He will be replaced by true freshman Steve Elmer.

That Elmer will move into the starting role and not junior Conor Hanratty says a lot about the progress Elmer has made in his short time in South Bend. The Irish offensive line has a chance to do some damage against Air Force’s 112th ranked rushing defense, but will need Elmer to pick up the slack in Lombard’s absence.

1. dickasman - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Whattttttt daaaaa? How da hell did they get injured? Did they have crazy cocaine fueled orgy in south bend after the game that I don’t know about?

Whelp, good thing is its air farce or prolly against turns into air fierce. Lombard is big loss. We can give chocolate a break. He hasn’t had much this year. So are we burning Elmer’s redshirt? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa play Zaireeeeeee!

2. dickasman - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Let’s face it, We gave Hanratty a scholarship because of Terry and I’m glad and not complaining deservedly so but les not trip it’s because of Terry.

• bernhtp - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hanratty is good, but Elmer is a complete stud. No shame there. I actually met Terry a few weeks ago in Dallas. Great guy.

• don74 - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

met him a years ago in CT. A friend’s son was on Connor’s Pop Warner team and New Canaan High team. Very nice guy,

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I’m not complainin I’m just sayin what I’m thinkin, geesh. I would have done the same

3. dickasman - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Hey if anybody loves cocaine n football stories read this. OU is turning into Drug U, that place is such a dump

4. footballnut85 - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Lombard is a quality kid and will be missed. Tough kid as he played through this all season. O- Line will miss him.

5. footballnut85 - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Lombard is a quality kid and the team and O-Line will miss his contributions!

6. ndgoldandblue - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Lombard is gone? That’s just effin’ great. Good thing Elmer is coming along quickly.

7. richisirish - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I’ve been wondering this season if there would be any advantage to ND stacking their weaker opponents in the front half of their schedule like other teams do, but after seeing how a team’s depth can be tested as injuries accumulate I’m not sure it would. I’m not too concerned about facing AFA without our All-American noseguard. Besides, I like knowing within the first few weeks how ND’s season is goint to fare. The Michigan game has been that measuring stick for me, but that is going away. I’m curious to see how Swarbick arranges ND’s schedules over the next few years as we enter into the ACC agreement.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Guys honestly, we have chance to run the table outside Stanford loss. The last 2 will be tougher but I’m perfectly content with loss to buy and or Stanford.

I’m not gonna lose my sht over it anymore.

• bernhtp - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

What Stanford loss? A real fan will show some swagger and confidence.

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Come on, bern. Don’t throw out that “real fan” b.s. As long as someone supports the Irish, what difference does it make if that person’s confidence level is a bit low? I just hope the players and coaches have confidence and swagger, so we can finish the season at 10-2 and get a BCS bowl game.

• nudeman - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I will say this: While I had the Stanford game marked down as an L most of the year:

1. They don’t appear to be as strong as once thought

2. Contrary to the beginning of the year when we were all talking about ND playing with no passion, this team is developing nicely. Last week against USC would have been their best game had Rees not been hurt. Hard hitting D, Tuitt looking good, some very good WRs and RBs rounding into shape. DBs still vulnerable and I do hold my breath every time Tommy drops back, but much better team now.

3. If Rees stays healthy and plays like he did against USC, Stanford is definitely beatable. Not saying I’d actually predict it, but it won’t be Dunkirk like I once thought.

However I have always thought two of the year’s most dangerous games – trap games, if you will – are Pitt and BYU. So I guess we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves.

• richisirish - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Looking forward to watching BYU-BSU tonight.

• bernhtp - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It’s OK to predict a tough game and even a likely loss, but the loss was stated as a certainty. Notre Dame is Catholic, not Calvinist.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Berns right but a real fan will also keep it “REAL” as well. I’m just keepin it real Berndawg. Hard to have SWAG when Rees is your starting qb and McDaniel is your starting qb. Our opposing defenses go to bed having wet dreams and it’s not from the blondes.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Well bern I dunno if it made you feel better, but having automatic loss for Stanford made me feel better. I don’t want my blood to boil anymore an it already does. If we lose, I don’t lose my sht. If we win, hajeluah, we all win, know what I mean? You must thoroughly enjoy my angry loser rants. I’m just looking out for my self. I love nd but nd hurt me so bad. I have to protect myself. I don’t think I could go sleep w another guy anymore. It hurts so bad.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Bern let me go a step further and put my balls out there. I am a catholic. I am also a Republican. Not to the extreme but I consider my self as such. I also do not believe in abortion unless somebody was raped, etc. Having said that you are a catholic, then how can you go and vote for Obama?

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Gimme Golson and I walk around here like Visanthe Shiancoe in the mens locker room. You gimme me Rees then well, I have to put the towel on.

8. irishbias - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Nudeman, you took the words right out of my mouth. Go Irish!

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Oh that’s soooo HOTT! You guys made out? Congtpratulations you two Obama voters!

9. irishaggie - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It will be a good chance for Steve to get his first start against a less physically gifted D line. The BYU game is going to be interesting. I will be at Lavell Edwards tonight watching them against Boise State. I should have a good idea watching them live if it will be a repeat from last year.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What a sellout bandwagon jumper! I knew you and fnc were BYU fans

• papadec - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

dick, dick, dick – if BYU beats Boise St tonight, then a ND win over BYU is that more impressive.

10. irishwilliamsport - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

The BYU QB is kind of like Hendrix and they don’t have a passing game, it’s Pitt away that worries me as a trap game. Stanford got the obligatory top 5 pac10 team ranking like USC did last year and I don’t see what the fuss is all about and they have the meat of their schedule in front of them.

BK should start Hendrix against AF and use Tommy in relief, I don’t understand the need to start him against the worst team on the schedule. If he takes a good shot again he’ll be out a few weeks.

• dickasman - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Lolololol, you mean other teams have Hendrix as starter? Holy moly wheels Rees I’m gonna go make out w him right now