Nov 5, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Looking for a highlight reel of Tarean Folston‘s breakout performance? Our friends at UND.com and Fighting Irish Digital Media have you hooked up.
Their Turning Points feature took a closer look at the Notre Dame running game, a unit that finally got on track against a Navy defense that was actually a lot better against the run than you’d expect.
While the ground attack hasn’t been as good as last season, the Irish gouged the Midshipmen for 268 yard on Saturday, with Folston carrying the load in the second half.
When the Irish needed touchdowns in the second half to keep pace with Navy, Brian Kelly ran the ball behind two-tight end sets and used the run to set up the pass. While Tommy Rees connected on a few clutch throws (a 3rd-and-8 to Troy Niklas being one of the most important plays in the game) it was the ground game that took over.
With the Irish heading to Pittsburgh and the defense banged up, taking possession of the clock with a strong ground game wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. And after eight weeks of bouncing between running backs, it looks like the Irish might have found a guy that can carry the load down the stretch.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172