Bye week means reprieve for wounded roster

Nov 12, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT

Louis Nix Getty Images

You won’t hear Brian Kelly make excuses for a roster badly beaten up. But if you’re wondering how wounded the Irish are heading into their final two games, just consider the fact that Kelly isn’t practicing this week with his team.

No pads. No practice. Just meetings, work in the weight room and conditioning. How many times in Kelly’s 23-year head coaching career has that happened?

“This will be my first,” Kelly said Tuesday afternoon.

In case anyone wondered whether or not Kelly had packed in the season and started prepping for 2014, the Irish head coach made it clear that his focus was on finishing this season strong. That means first focusing on sending his senior class out winners at home.

“Our primary focus and the focus of our team is winning our last home game and, in particular, sending out our seniors with a win,” Kelly said. “They’ve got four quarters left in Notre Dame Stadium. They’re going to be a huge part of the history of Notre Dame and helping us to four bowl games, a national championship. We are going to do everything in our power to make certain that our seniors go out winners at their last game at Notre Dame Stadium.”

To make sure the Irish have all that they’ll need to take on BYU, Kelly is backing away from work. While usually a bye week is a time to get developmental players reps they wouldn’t usually get, those players aren’t developmental any more. They’re all that’s left.

“The guys that I would be practicing, we need,” Kelly explained. “They need to play a considerable amount of time for us against BYU and Stanford. We’re just at that point. If I knew going out and practicing two or three days was going to benefit us greatly in the BYU game, I’d be out there right now.

“It’s in my estimation we could have a situation of diminished returns and put us in jeopardy, so we’re conditioning them pretty hard Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday will be the bulk of our work.”

At this point, it’s worth taking a look back at the depth chart against Temple to get a better look at who’s been lost or injured this season, just to understand why this week off is more necessity than anything else.

TWO DEEP DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

Already lost for the season:

Danny Spond, OLB
Chase Hounshell, DL
Tony Springmann, DL

DE
Sheldon Day — Missed multiple games with high ankle sprain
Isaac Rochell — Currently in walking boot

DT
Louis Nix — Missed Air Force and Navy games with knee injury
Kona Schwenke — Currently injured with high ankle sprain. Out of cast today.

DE
Stephon Tuitt — Healthy after slow start after hernia surgery.
Jarron Jones — Ankle in boot after ankle injury against Pitt.

OLB
Prince Shembo — Hasn’t missed game yet this season.
Ishaq Williams — Rumored MCL tear after low block against Air Force.

ILB
Dan Fox — Lost starting job after nagging injury slowed him down. Hasn’t missed time.
Jarrett Grace — Lost for year against Arizona State with broken leg.

ILB
Carlo Calabrese — Has played in all 10 games.
Kendall Moore — Seen more time since injury to Grace.

OLB
Jaylon Smith — Has played in all 10 games.
Ben Councell — Lost for season with ACL tear.

S
Austin Collinsworth — Played in all 10 games.
Elijah Shumate — Hamstring injury has slowed him last four games.

S
Matthias Farley — Played in all 10 games.
Eilar Hardy — Played consistently since Shumate’s injury.

CB
Bennett Jackson — Started all 10 games.
Cole Luke — Stayed healthy as freshman contributor.

With the body count being what it is, a new group of players find themselves as contributors. Former walk-on linebacker Joe Schmidt, who is playing through a thumb injury. Seldom used junior linebacker Anthony Rabasa is getting time at Cat linebacker. Justin Utupo has gotten more reps in the past three weeks than the previous three seasons. The same goes for Tyler Stockton. Romeo Okwara has become the staff’s swiss-army knife.

Injuries hit every football team. But in a season where things started off going wrong, Kelly and the Irish are intent on weathering the storm whatever way they know how.

1. dickasman - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Too bad it’s not saying good bye to some of the sucky players n stuff. I said 8-4 this year is good year but really I was hoping for more. Oh well, there is always next year.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM

typical of you with the sucky player comment. I like it better when you are invisible.

2. irishdodger - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I’m hoping Kelly & Diaco elevate Hardy to the starting position over Farley and get Cole Luke more reps eventually replacing Bennett Jackson. Good kids, but both have regressed and are horrible tacklers, I’ve heard Farley is playing thru an injured shoulder, but I’d prefer to throw one of the backups into the mix as Farley is waaaaaaaaay too tentative. Maybe Jackson is a leader in the locker room but I haven’t seen it on the field,

3. redyellowgold - Nov 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I would put money on Tuitt coming back for sure. I know I shared that dirt on Kelly, but one thing he’s proven good at is getting good players to come back.

Anyway, Kelly is Kelly. His dad was a politician, he studied political science, he himself worked in politics (Gary Hart’s election campaign, etc). If you ask me, he’s an Enneagram 3. The “Enneagram” is a personality typology (like the Myers-Briggs and other personality tests). Here’s a quick description of the 3: Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. When in states of stress, they suddenly become disengaged and apathetic. (Pitt post-game presser, anyone?)

This seems like Kelly to me. He has a real way of presenting himself in a charming way, handling the media, etc. And there’s no other time I’ve seen him more happy than when he was doing golf course photo ops with Lou Holtz and Ara Parseghian. The status, achievement, etc., totally makes life meaningful for him. And on the flip side, he’s terrified of failure, and at his worst he can be disconnected and apathetic. He can also throw people under the bus in order to get what he wants if he’s in a bind or senses an opportunity for advancement (Eagles interview, “not my guys”, etc).

To be honest I have no idea why I just psychoanalyzed Kelly, and I still honestly don’t know what I think of him in terms of a coach, much less a person, as I’ve never once met him and don’t know a single person who knows him personally. So really, who am I to judge. And I’m having a hard time imagining any better alternatives and I’m pretty ambivalent over whether I should just stay quiet and let the man do his job as best he can, politics or no politics.

Just thought it was interesting food for thought.

• nudeman - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Your stuff is really good. Interesting take on Kelly, and how many times have we had a Myers Briggs reference here?

My take on him is that his Irishness is his dominant personality trait. Reminds me of my Irish father in many ways. Hard driven, very capable of speaking in an unfiltered way that is frequently charming and humorous but can also get him in trouble, like when he made that wisecrack at halftime of the NC game.

Action oriented, thrives on tough love and defaults to using the carrot vs. the stick, but he’s capable of closeness and empathy. But not indefinitely.

I’d say he’s an E, S, T, P. Definitely has trouble with people who don’t see the world like he does. Patton was ESTP.

Check it out, This is BK: http://www.personalitypage.com/ESTP.html

• papadec - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM

ha ha ha ha – yeah, maybe.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:31 AM

stick to football, Nude–you sometimes make sense when you do–actually when you get serious about it you make some good points.

Don’t need Psych 101 babble though. Its nonsense applied the way you two are going at it.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Isnt that precious of you, redyellowgold? First you dump a bunch of trash on Kelly’s head (“abusive father”, “real jerk” etc) yesterday quoting “confidential sources” and now you tell us you know “not a single person that knows Kelly personally”. Making your credibility pretty much zero, and your ethics and moral judgements below zero..

Then you procede to “psychoanylyze” Kelly pretty disparagingly, but admitting “I’ve never once met him”. I guess by watching a guy do typical coach stuff on the sidelines you know enough to get inside his head and inflict your psychobabble on him and us.

Its also kind of you to decide to ” be quiet and let the man do his job as best he can, politics or no politics”.

Newsflash: Kelly doesnt know you exist, doesnt care you exist, and doesnt need your condescending permission to do his job.

You’re a legend in your own mind, and the only interesting “food for thought” in what you said is how anyone could possibly be so dishonest and reckless in tearing down publicly someone who is very important to the university and the players on the team. You’re just a fool with an opinion, living in your own little world.

• nudeman - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Wow tucsonfan, ease up buddy.

I thought redyellow’s posts were pretty good. I can see by the thumbs down though, for his and mine, everyone here would prefer a discussion re: the merits of pulling both the guard AND tackle on a sweep. Or maybe let’s,again, dig into why ND goes empty backfield in the red zone? Here are a few other topics that we should dig into during the bye week:

- Kelly: Visor or baseball cap?
        - Do the Irish let Tommy Rees audible too much?
        - Chris Watt: Does the number “66″ make him look fat?
        - Ginger or Mary Ann?
        - Do you think Dayne Crist got the shaft?
        - It’s 2nd and 3 at the 42: What should we call?
        - Why did Aaron Lynch leave?
        - Any chance we go to a BCS?
        - Do you think Vanderdoes will come back?
        - What is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question? (42, btw)

Everyone settle down. We’re all just trying to get through the work day, there’s no game this week and topics aside from football, as long as they’re well written and interesting are fine, IMO.

• jmfinsd - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

nudeman – I disagree with you on this one. Maybe tusconfan goes a little overboard in his last paragraph; we don’t need the personal attacks on this board. But he very correctly points out that redyellowgold blasted Kelly based on “confidential sources,” and now tells us he does not know “not a single person that knows Kelly personally.” I said then and I say now, cite sources or save it and go back to watching TMZ. Redyellowgold can state his opinions re: Kelly. He doesn’t have to discuss whether to pull the guard and tackle on the same play. But a poster should not position oneself as one with inside knowledge when they admittedly aren’t so positioned.

• nudeman - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM

jimfin and tucson
        Not going to do an extensive forensic analysis of redyellow’s earlier posts, but I see a subtle difference between what he said and how it’s being interpreted.

WHAT HE SAID: Paraphrasing here, it was long the lines of “I know someone who has some connections to the program”. To me that means exactly that: His source has connections to the program. Maybe he’s tight with a coach, a grad asst, a player, staff. Maybe he’s a vendor who works with the ND program. Maybe something else. That doesn’t imply he knows Kelly personally. But as you know if you’re around a program or a team or a company a lot, people talk and thing come out.

WHAT YOU THOUGHT YOU HEARD: “I know a guy who’s tight with Kelly”.
        redyellow never said that.

I am not invested in defending redyellow, nor am I invested in proving what he says he’s heard is right or wrong. I just thought tucson came on a little strong there.

For the record, I did make the point yestdy that the thing about the non starters going out a different doorway is probably nothing more than a logistical thing. And the alma mater thing to me is no big deal either; that “tradition” has only been around since the Weis years. Neither really matters in the grand scope.

• bb90grad - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Nude,

You forgot “Can you get those practice jerseys at the Bookstore?”. Haven’t replowed that ground in a while.

Normally just sit back and watch the fireworks but things are testy. I thought this was just a buncha guys (none of whom know BK personally) shooting the bull over a common interest (about which no one is an expert).

Use of a stool softener may be in order for some.

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nude, maybe his “inside source” is an anonymous poster on a board much like this, or maybe it’s someone who watches every ND game on T, and has a subscription to Blue and Gold Illustrated . Whoever it is, it certainly sounds like he’s reputable.

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

redyellowgold, you’re not the only one who has no idea why you just psychoanalyzed Kelly.

• alsatiannd - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

What’s the psycholanalytic diagnosis for someone who ignores proximal and applicable facts and instead favors grandiose and complex theories that they alone are able to recognize.

4. idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Wow, personality trait analysis….we’ve reached a whole new level.

I love my irish, but when the final seconds ticked off the clock in Pittsburgh, it just felt like the season was over. The BCS was something to play for. The only other milestone is a bowl game, and that’s already attained (statistically speaking cause we have 6 wins).

If i were on the team I’d have trouble getting motivated to play BYU. Stanford might be a bit easier, but I won’t be surprised if we see a team that is just going through the motions. The other thing that MIGHT come of this BCS dream ending loss is a coaching staff that is a little more loose with their decisions regarding players and play calling. I won’t be surprised if we see a “nothing to lose” mentality from whoever is calling the plays.

At any rate, the positive for me is that I won’t be stewing over missing the BYU game as i attend my daughters Gymnastics meet. Don’t get me wrong, I choose my daughter over ND every day of the week, but if you’ve ever been to a Gymnastics meet, you know that you’re sitting on your ass for 4 hours to watch 6 minutes of performance.

c’est la vie

• papadec - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

got to agree & disagree – oh yeah, I have been to those gymnastic meets, and track meets, and swim meets where you wait for what seems forever for a few minutes of child participation – and missed many ND games doing so. And everyone of them was worth it! Where I disagree – the BYU game is the senior game, and even for the non-seniors – it is the last home game of the season. I think, that to a man, they will be up for the game for their families, roommates, classmates & teammates.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Agree Papadec–we may not win, but it won’t be because the team has quit. There are real challenges though. We are what we are this year.

5. yaketyyacc - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM

as I was applauding the seniors in 61, it did not dawn that this also would be my last game in Notre Dame Stadium as a student.
    let’s fast forward to now. we have red shirts, fifth year players, transferring players. at he rate eligibility is being extended, the time may come when the first father son will play together, and perhaps the day when Notre Dame will give its first pension check to a football player.
    far fetched you say… in the 40s when cigarettes went from 20 cents to 25 cents and the opposition was loud and long, I said, even if cigarettes went to 5.00 a pack, people would still smoke. they didn’t stop laughing then, but they are not laughing now. hey, who knows!

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

huh?

• ndirish10 - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

mtnguy,

If i did my math correctly: approximately 22 when yake graduated, 52 years since 1961. 22+52=74 years old. Sure explains this post!!!!

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

LOL

6. fnc111 - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Truly an embarrassment that Kelly lost to his wife’s alma mater again this season. What an awful team scUM is. Even without the injuries this season was over before October began. Kelly is a heckuva politician though. He tried hard through the media to play it up as if Temple, Michigan and Purdue were tough teams to start out the season. Lie. One of the easiest schedules in the country to start out was ND’s.

• jmfinsd - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

dude – You’re right, scUM is terrible, and ND should have beat them. But ND didn’t. All your posts saying the same thing won’t change that. That was months ago. Move on.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Lou Holtz routinely played up the opposition, almost comically so. Standard coach talk, nothing deceitful in it.

7. jerseyshorendfan1 - Nov 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM

It’s sometimes hard to wade through all the BS from the Monday morning quarterbacks who post on here and now we’ve sunk to a new low: armchair psychology. Utterly ridiculous.

• ndirish10 - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I slept through psych 101 class…no wonder I was getting lost in the last few posts…

• rossumnminor - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Thank you Jersey.

8. northerndomer20 - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I think this thread has “jumped the shark”….yikes

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I have a feeling its gonna be a long 10 days.

9. paulhargis53 - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM

8-4 or 7-5.

Learn it. Know it. Love it.

Get used to a record like that. The 12-1 year was an abberation. A team that got all the breaks that year was exposed for what they were.

Start hyping next year Irish fans, its what you do best…..until the inevitable crash and burn.

• jmfinsd - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Just don’t get your hate for ND, or is it for every team that Alabama plays. Alabama just did to LSU what it did to ND. Did you post on LSU’s board? My guess is yes. Alabama is that good. Yes, everyone with a double-digit IQ knows it and acknowledges it.

• scottatnd - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

8-4, 7-5 who cares. Don’t forget a few years ago we went 3-9.
      But, we still have the largest fan base in the country, NBC still loves us and we still don’t need to join a conference. I bet that just burns you up.

• mcirish27 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That is EXACTLY what burns up ND haters. All my Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan St. and SEC fan friends can only harp on the fact that we’re overexposed and not good enough to deserve it. Surprisingly, now that I live in CA, none of the people I know from USC mind any of that conference, NBC, stuff very much.

• ndirish10 - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

mcirish,

Lived here in CA since birth. They do mind, just hard to see their expression through their sunglasses or altered look. Just saying.

10. ndgoldandblue - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Notice that Keith didn’t mention the injuries on the offensive side of the ball…because there aren’t any. The Irish have a fully-stocked, healthy offense with talented lineman, physically imposing tight ends, and very solid running backs. There’s no excuse for not being able to run the ball well and often against Pitt, or against anyone for that matter.

The game-plan against Navy was fantastic. I know that Navy doesn’t have the stoutest defense, but Notre Dame has the talent to run with success against better defenses. They just don’t stick with it. In the fourth quarter, with the Irish down seven, Notre Dame had the ball, and it was 3rd and 2. I knew that they wouldn’t try to run for the first down because I don’t think the coaching staff believes that they can get two yards when they need it. Or, maybe the players don’t believe that they can get two yards. Either way, it isn’t good if you don’t have enough faith in your running game to get two yards.

Other teams have more success running the ball than the Irish do, and they have less talent to work with. I don’t know. Maybe Kelly needs a new offensive coordinator. But hey, who am I to suggest such a thing? I’m just a fan. But I will say this: students come into my office all time requesting to change sections of a particular class because they don’t understand the material, and they think their professor is a bad teacher. What am I going to tell them? “What do you know? You’re not a teacher. You’re just a student. Do you think you could do a better job teaching the class?” Just because they couldn’t do a better job teaching the class doesn’t mean they can’t spot a bad teacher when they see one. I’m not saying Kelly’s the equivalent of a bad teacher; I just think, when it comes to the running game, his “students” aren’t fully getting the material.

• dbldmr - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I can’t disagree. When you watch the Irish offense it’s a one trick pony, and everyone seems to have caught on to the trick. Instead of trying to impose its will on the defense Notre Dame’s offense is one of those “…well, we took what the defense gave us” offenses.

There are a few weeks left in the season and, because of injuries, perhaps some of the younger players will get a chance to develop. I can’t help but feel that this was a lost year. The team is anonymous…no discernible identity.

• harrystone - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

a defense cannot take everything away. a team must be prepared to take what a defense is giving them. if they can execute then they will be successful. PITT we are to believe took away the running game and ND was not able to execute the passing game so they lost. The unfortunate part is that the PITT pass defense was not that great. I know you can rag on about the QB but knowing you have a QB that has limitations means you need to design a game plan where he can be successful and execute. This becomes even more important if you have a banged up defense and want to keep them off the field. At the end of the day this is really about coaching.

• jmfinsd - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Good points, but just a little off on facts. Starting guard Lombard out for season. Yes, Elmer’s a stud, but a (non-redshirt?) freshman. Watt not 100%. But that’s all you were off by. Otherwise, I agree 100%.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Good point about Lombard. And you’re right about Elmer. He’s the offense’s version of Jaylon Smith: young, but very, very good.

• irish9314 - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Nick Martin our center also has a broken right hand.

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Watt missed the Navy game.

I too am disappointed in the running game. I do think that the defensive injuries, and inability to stop opposing offenses has necessitated the need for the offense to pass more than run. Everyone complains that ND isn’t running more, and now many are blaming Kelly for the poor running game. Last year was one of ND’s best years running the ball. What has changed between then and now? The coaches are the same. Much of the offensive line is the same. The difference are the running backs. There isn’t a Wood or Ridick on this team right now. Until a running back steps up on a consistent basis, the running game will be anemic. Folston has shown flashes of brilliance. Perhaps with a year under his belt, and 15 more pounds over the Summer, he’ll be the running back that we’re all craving.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You’re right about one thing: it’s the players who have to execute. BK can’t go out there and do it for them. As the head coach, however, the buck stops with him, I guess. But I have to hand it to him. After the game, he owned it. He took the responsibility of the loss on himself, and kudos to him for that. He didn’t have to fall on the sword because his players executed poorly, but he did. That’s why I still have faith in the guy. I’m not sure about Martin, but I think Kelly can be a good coach in the long-term. If the guy never took responsibility for the poor performance of his players, then I’d start to lose faith in him.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I think the problem with the running game is that our RB’s just arent as good as we all had hoped. When we were able to run, we did. When we couldnt run, we passed.

I’m not sure when the religion of running is better than passing ipso facto started, its not necessarily so, depending on the players and opponent.

11. atw34 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don’t post often, but read daily. I enjoy 90% of the comments…..intriguing, thought provoking and intelligent………. good stuff.

I hope to add to the good stuff. I will preference my statement with I played D-1 on scholarship and was an all conference player. I also coached for 4 years at the high school level.

Every coach in America tells his team that he will never communicate through the media a message he wants to give you! There is a difference between the media versus the locker room. He appeases the media, because that is a song and dance that he HAS to do, per his contract! Believe me, the message he sends his team is the same as a lot of you state, “no turnovers Tommy, no missed tackles Farley, make that tackle in space Fox, Jackson….fill in the blank”. The point is that he sees the film, alone and with the team. ND is what it is, a team with holes, a limited qb(playing to his max), a team lacking a leader, and no true number one tailback.

You CANNOT manufacturer things that are not there. Hopefully, Golson will be back and 2014 will be much better!

• mtndguy - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

atw34 you succeeded in adding some “good stuff”. Thank you for bringing some sanity to this board.

• regionirish - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

atw34

Good points. I also played college football, but at the NAIA level. I agree with your factual analysis. I think the issue with tail back is a big one. ND has the talent there going forward and Kelly needs to STOP rotating tail backs like they are wide outs because it’s limiting the RBs ability to get into the flow of the game. You should only sub RBs by series or on 3rd down (if needed). Also the O-line can’t get used to a RBs style which can impact they way they block.

Defensively we need to get better at inside linebacker and safety. In my opinion Max should play the majority of the snaps the remainder of the year. Experience is critical for safeties. Unfortunately I can’t see ND’s below average defense taking a step forward over the next several years. I hope EG is ready to win shootouts.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Great post ATW, much appreciated.

12. sfnd - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM

There was some discussion (or more precisely, speculation) about how the players react to BK. The following a quote from a player on one of the teams on ND’s schedule.

“We all love Coach (XYZ). He’s a player’s coach. He loves us, and he wants to see us happy and have fun. We really play off of that, and we want to win for him.”

1. Do you think ND players have that state of mind with respect to BK?

2. Is that a healthy / productive state of mind for players to have with respect to their coach?

[Full disclosure, I do not think BK should be fired. I do see several areas where he needs to improve. Those same areas needed improvement last year and were overlooked / ignored by many because the team got the wins -- throughout the regular season.]

Go Irish.

• tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I don’t know what the players’ state of mind is re Kelly–empirically though, quite a few ND NFL prospects have stayed to play out their last year of eligibility with him–thus voting with their feet in the affirmative.

You don’t have to love someone to respect and learn from them. My drill instructors in the Marines weren’t people I loved, but I respected and learned from them enough to be alive today.

• papadec - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Oorah! 1965-1970.

13. und91 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I am ashamed of everyone that there have been 40 comments before me and NO ONE has noticed that Keith’s 2 deep defensive depth chart only lists 10 positions. It is completely missing the boundary cornerback position where the depth chart is KeiVarae Russell and Lo Wood. Step it up people.

14. tucsonfan - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Sorry about the perceived personal attack in my reply to redyellowgold above. I thought I was just stating the facts in my last paragraph.

OK, maybe not, I apologize. I’ll also try the stool softener. Do you recommend taking it neat, BB90?

Nude, redyellow’s posts were in fact personal attacks on Kelly. Claiming someone is like an “abusive father” among other things and posting it on the internet is beyond scurrilous. I doubt you’d be so sanguine if it were you on the receiving end.

And yes, I do like posts with actual football content, this IS a football site after all. I can get my other entertainment somewhere else.

• nudeman - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

OK, so GInger or Mary Ann?

• doc-domer79 - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM

YES! (i.e. both…)

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

date ginger and marry mary ann…

you’re on an island with gilligan, the skipper, the millionaire and the professor so it’s not like there’s a ton of competition, then again if you’re anything like ND the past few years and you play down to your competition, you might end up vying for the millionaire’s wife.

• bb90grad - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Not sure I’ve had any softener knowingly. Since someone could be slipping me mickeys, I’ll go with a chaser or mixer.

Maybe that explains why the Naval Observatory Master Clock folks keep calling and asking for the time…I am pretty regular.

15. tsombanj - Nov 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Farley doesn’t belong on the field.

16. jem5b - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Tyler Gaffney 45 carries out of a total of 66 against Oregon.
    13 passes.
    9OL’s at a time, on occasions.
    Folson(sp) Carlisle, Bryant(injured) GAIII, Cam.
    Run the ball, Tommy is limited in range, accuracy, and arm strength, his balls float to his off side, see the last play of ND’s offensive series, it was short of Daniels, and floated for what seemed forever.
    Kell’s been a disappointment, great guy, great with the press, o/s recruiter, seems to be lacking something to glue it all together.

17. jem5b - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

PS. Bag the psych crap. Headline: Freud was a fraud.