Stay Golden, Louis Nix

Nov 14, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT

louis_nix_gangnam_style

Louis Nix. The ultimate troll.

As the Irish were warming up before the game against Pittsburgh, Twitter was a buzz after a few beat reporters noticed that Nix was wearing sweats during the pre-pregame warm-ups, unusual for the defensive tackle.

A set back in the knee injury? A sign that Nix wouldn’t be able to play?

“I wanted to mess with people,” Nix said this week. “That was intentional, going out on the field with sweats on. I just wanted to mess with you guys a little bit.”

Nix got a few chuckles from the group of reporters interviewing him after that reveal. And really, they haven’t stopped chuckling for the four years Nix has spent in South Bend.

We’ll spend more time talking about the Louis Nix story, which hasn’t necessarily written its final chapter in South Bend.

In all reality, with a degree in hand and a spot likely in the first round of the NFL Draft, Nix will play his final game in Notre Dame Stadium next Saturday. But after undergoing PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) therapy to treat a knee injury that kept him off the field against Air Force and Navy (and has sidelined running back Greg Bryant, who is carrying roughly 150 pounds less than the defensive tackle, for the season), Nix talked about the drive to get back on the field.

“Louis Nix is not a selfish guy. He’s a guy that loves his brother, his teammates, his coaches, selfishly I wanted to go out there and play for myself,” Nix said, going third person for extra credit. “I like playing the game, and I don’t like being on the sideline. It’s hard to see guys go out there and play and you wish you could be out there making plays.”

Then in vintage Nix style, he started campaigning for postseason accolades.

“I want to win an award. I can’t be on the bench and win an award,” Nix said. “I guess we need to start pushing that guys.”

If there’s an award to be won, it’ll likely need to be done next season, with Nix eligible for a fifth year after sitting out his debut season in South Bend. But if there’s stress in that decision — or really, any — Nix isn’t showing it.

When the South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen asked Nix if he had applied for the insurance policy afforded players of Nix’s level by the NCAA, the Film, Television and Theatre major scoffed.

“Who me? Naah. I don’t have it,” Nix said. “Naah, I don’t need it.”

Stay Golden, Louis Nix.

1. aceinthehole12 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I’ll miss Big Lou.

• irishdrg1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Big Lou what a pleasure it has been having you on OUR TEAM.. Hoping you will stay but GOD bless you on YOUR decision.

2. kansasirish - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Big Lou discussed in an article maybe on BR? about how much talent ND has coming back on offense and singled out Everett. Maybe Big Lou and Tuitt will make pack and both come back?

Highly unlikely, but that would be pretty cool!

3. ndgoldandblue - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

It’d be great to have Nix back, but I wouldn’t expect it. He has nothing left to prove in the college game. However…there is always the carrot of a national championship. I don’t think the Irish are positioned for that kind of run next year, but 2012 was certainly a nice surprise and something that could be repeated.

In all seriousness, though, I’m scared for the defense next year. Without Nix and (possibly) Tuitt, things could get ugly. I hope Golson’s return is as influential as some believe it will be. The kid may need to put up some serious numbers.

• tampabayirish - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Agree totally. Next year’s defense could be bad. The offense may have to score 40 every week to give the Irish a chance at victory.

• harrystone - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM

This sounds like Big12 football at its best

4. mtflsmitty - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What I think, and what I know are very different.

For instance, I think the 2014 defense will have a lot of trouble in the front seven. But what I know is that I am consistently surprised by player development from one year to the next. Think Jonas Gray Jr to Sr year. Heck, think St. Lou himself Soph to Jr year. For inverse examples think Farley and Bennett ’12 vs ’13. We all though our DBs were going to be pretty strong this year. Not so much.

5. viktory2013 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Nix just might come back. Was reading his full comments on another site, and he definitely seemed to be contemplating it. He doesn’t seem money obsessed, and I think he’s reluctant to exit on such a down note as this season has been.

Maybe…

6. dbldmr - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’d love it if he came back, but I certainly wouldn’t feel bad about his leaving. He’s a stand-up, funny guy. He’s going to get his degree. He represents Notre Dame very well. I think he has a lot to contribute in his life. Love me some Irish Chocolate.

7. redyellowgold - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I hope he stays too, he seems like such an awesome person and awesome player. Love his youtube channel. But about the nose tackle position, I read some write-ups on One Foot Down talking about formations, and having a huge nose tackle is not necessarily a must-have for the D-line. Those are actually pretty rare. I think we can make due with the people we have, and I agree — these guys always tend to come out of nowhere and surprise us. Schwenke, Springman, etc., these are all people we haven’t seen the best of yet. Louis Nix was fairly under the radar until last year. Not saying that there’s necessarily a Nix-style undiscovered talent in the roster, but just saying we don’t need to get all doomsday quite yet about the D-line.

That said, I think it’s fair to get doomsday about the ILB position. There’s no one at ILB in the 2014 recruiting class and at this point from what I can tell we have Grace, Deeb, Joe Schmidt, and that’s about it. That seems pretty crazy to me… Am I missing something? Can outside linebackers switch to inside, or might they switch people like defensive ends over to ILBs? I think they’ll probably have to do some kind of creative switching around to make it work for the ILB position next year.

• harrystone - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I would think an equal worry would be that there is no QB in this class either.

• odername - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM

DeShone Kizer may wish to disagree with you there.

• harrystone - Nov 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM

actually I should have said QB’s. With only one in this class and two already on the roster so much depends on the return of Golson and his ability to make a significant impact immediately.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Might have to go to a 4-3. As you say, mammoth nosetackles aren’t really a necessity for a defense to be effective, and in a 4-3, I’d say they’re even less vital. Plus, that formation would probably be more appropriate with the opponents on our schedule (their offensive approach) and the personnel we have on the roster. There isn’t as great of a need to address inside linebacker if there’s only one on the field. The same applies for nosetackles with four down linemen.

• bearcatirishfan - Nov 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Switching to the 4-3 it’s as simple as putting another guy down on the line, you would have to completely reorganize how the linebackers play their responsibilities, how they play zone and man, you can’t just change systems on a whim.

8. odername - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM

As a Domer, selfishly, I would love to see King Lou return. But the realist in me thinks that, for him, it’s a terrible idea. Money isn’t everything, and a work ethic like LN3′s along with an ND degree can go a long way, but risking millions of guaranteed dollars and a potential career for lots more doesn’t make sense. I’m a Double-Domer and do pretty well, but I work like a dog to nail down every year what Lou will make per quarter in each game next year in the NFL. Would I have given up my fifth year at ND for a few million in the bank? Yeah, in a heartbeat.

9. mdp44 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Hate to see him go but he needs to go get the money while it’s there

10. mdp44 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Vanderdoesnt is starting to look like a big loss for us

• bearcatirishfan - Nov 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Meaning he isn’t hurt anymore and is actually playing?

11. mdp44 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I know recruiting is better than it was but other than jaylon I’ve been unimpressed these last two cycles

• wisner74 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Elmer? Folston? Robinson? Bryant? Luke? Fuller? . . . I could go on, but by now you should get the point.

12. mdp44 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

On defense

• irish13pa - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

- Redfield & Shumate are going to make a great safety tamdon when they get the chance.
      - Russell, Luke and Butler are showing they will be just fine at corner. Russell has been a 2 year starter
      - I think Rochell and Day are showing they are capable of filling the DE holes. Hopefully Ishaq comes to play next year because he has been a major disappointment. Also, hopefully Randolph comes to spring like a wild man.

ILB and DT seem to be the weekest links of the last 2 classes. Other than the most important part of a 3-4 deffence…. all else seems fine……… Lets go Kelly and Diaco do what you have to do to get Morgan, Holly and/or Elam in South Bend!!!!

13. mdp44 - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Tuitt should go get his money to, hate to say it

14. blackirish23 - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

When is career is over (and hopefully a long and productive one at that), I’ve always wished to see a great Irish player find his way to the set of College Football Live and sit next to Mark May to put him and his smug persona in its rightful place!! Big Lou (not to be confused with the rather nice Lou Holtz) would do just that… with that great smile on his face.

15. charlie617 - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Thanks for the Outsiders reference, Keith.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Do it for Johnny!

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

also makes me think of the scene from “Step Brothers” that pinches this line from “The Outsiders.”

16. ndirish10 - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Did Nix really refer himself in the third person?! LOL!!! The fan in me says “stay.” The realist says, “you’ve got your degree, projected 1st rounder. Go get yours.” Go Irish!!!

17. danirish - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Please don’t go!

GO IRISH!

18. papadec - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

hmmmmmmm, I find this all very interesting – when it comes to Lou & Tuitt, people are posting that they should go get the NFL money. Kelly goes for an interview with an NFL team & people (myself included) start looking for the torches & pitchforks. Gives me pause to rethink my feelings.

• irish13pa - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

hahaha… so true… so true

19. c4evr - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

OK, this article brings up a legitimate question. What good is red shirting a guy if he turns out to be great and then leaves early to the NFL and with a degree in hand? Seems to me it makes more sense to play these kids now, see who the gamers are AND stand a better chance to keep them on the field for four years. I understand the theory of preserving a year, but with depth issues (hello… QB), it seems a better strategy than to have them sitting on the sidelines when they couldn’t hurt the situation and only gain valuable experience.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

most freshmen, for one reason or another (size, strength, conditioning, skill, maturity, knowledge, or technique) don’t step in and play right away. in these instances, it’s not so much a consideration for saving that 5th year that might not even be used, as it is that kids just have a hard time making the transition, plenty of times even early enrolles. i’d guess that certain positions are easier than others to step right in and play as a true freshman; receiver and running back come to mind.

i agree with you that if a kid is such a stud that he is able to compete as a true freshman, unless he has 3 bona fide studs in front of him on the depth chart (which unless you’re Alabama, probably isn’t the case), there’s no sense in saving that year since there’s as much chance it won’t be used anyway.

i don’t see the value in burning a kid’s redshirt year, just to see if he can chew the leather in a game situation. that seems like a waste to ascertain something that you should be able to figure out beforehand.

20. jem5b - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I love Louis Nix. He’s in this century’s pantheon of ND greats; BQuinn, Manti, Louis. God Bless him.

21. jem5b - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

MSU plays a 4-3 D, they always, always have one heck of a D.

• papadec - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM

and a much maligned ND offense beat them.

22. jem5b - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Pap; Irish have had their way recently, wouldn’t want to see them play them late in the season.