Kelly confirms Golson’s return for bowl practice

Nov 20, 2013, 12:23 AM EDT

Everett Golson

While Everett Golson‘s re-enrollment at Notre Dame still needs a rubber stamp, the quarterback’s imminent return to the football program has been confirmed.

During Brian Kelly’s weekly press conference, the Irish head coach spoke about Golson’s return to the football team, with the head coach confirming the plan to have Golson’s return for bowl practice.

When that exactly begins is still up for debate. Kelly acknowledged that Golson’s application for readmission is in to university brass, with the junior targeted to return to class in January.

“That application process has been submitted from what I know,” Kelly said Tuesday. “And decisions relative to admissions happen in middle of December.”

While Golson will be able to start practice before he starts class, what remains to be seen is whether or not Golson will be allowed to begin practice before the finalization of his re-enrollment is complete.

With the Irish’s final regular season game set for December 30th, a bowl invitation will likely be extended and accepted the next weekend. Official bowl practice could begin as soon as December 9th.

If the Irish end up selected for a game before Christmas, hardly a preference for Notre Dame with final exams not being finished until the 20th, the window to get any significant work out of Golson will be extremely short. So for this jump-start to be worth the time, expect any admission issues to be ironed out by bowl selection.

Whatever the exact date ends up being, after spending the semester training in both Chicago and San Diego, Golson’s season of academic exile appears to be coming to an end.

1. 25kgold - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Happy days are here again–The skies above are clear again–So let’s sing a song of cheer again–Happy days are here again!!!! -Go Irish!

2. ndrocks2 - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

“final regular season game set for December 30th”,,,should be November 30th.

Would he be able to play if BK wanted if bowl game is late enough if he is needed? Injury, blow out, because he felt like it, etc.?

• heartofgoldandblue - Nov 20, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Not eligible to play in bowl game

3. onward2victory - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I really hope we see the coach Kelly that we hired from Cincinnati in 2014! Can’t wait to see that offense!

• tucsonfan - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Kelly is the same guy we hired–what’s been different has been the players.

I’m curious what the team’s reaction will be to EG–on the one hand glad to have our QB back, on the other, how much resentment at how he let the team down this year?

• Seamus - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing. He has a lot of work to do to earn back the trust and respect that he had gained over the 2012 season. I’d like to think that he’s been having those conversations with the members of the team already whether via text message or over the phone.

4. viktory2013 - Nov 20, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I think the team will be happy to have him back. I know I will. Just wish he could play in the bowl.

5. domerboyirish - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Caution to all of those that think EG is the program savior. I don’t recall being all starry eyed last year. As freshmen Manziel and Winston both look better and more comfortable than EG. Why? Talent and system. I think EG has talent but, based on what I’ve seen, BK and Chuck Martin won’t utilize it properly. If they can’t figure out that TR needs to run a conservative, play action offense to be successful, then who says they will get it right with EG. My faith in Martin as an OC is very low right now.

Go ahead, give me the thumbs down for being so grumpy on a Wednesday. I’m still not over last weekends coaching debacle…

• steeldominance - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

EG isnt the savior. He is a mediocre QB that isnt exactly a model citizen. Similar to the guy currently playing QB for the Irish. Im pulling for Zaire in 2014

• tucsonfan - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM

So Manziel anf Winston are model citizens???? and EG may or may not be able to win it all at ND, but he’s far from mediocre.

• mtndguy - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

So you’re upset that EG isn’t as good as Manziel or Winston? Seriously? Sounds like you’re going to be upset with the ND quarterback situation for a long time. Guys like Manziel and Winston are pretty rare.

• domerboyirish - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

mtnguy, I did not mean to imply that EG is a potential Heisman candidate level of talent. That WOULD be setting myself up for disappointment. I’m mostly concerned that BK and CM will not utilize his talents properly. Based on this year I have no faith that they will get it right for next year. They cannot properly game plan around TR’s strengths and flaws, why would should I believe that they be able to do it well for EG?

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I agree to a certain extent. This team has several areas that need improvement. The quarterback position is just one of a long laundry list of items. And you’re right. Everett wasn’t more impressive than Manziel last year or Winston this year. But I will say this. Perhaps, bringing Everett back will be good for Coach Kelly. One of the things I’ve never understood about BK is his seemingly never-ending trust in Tommy Rees. He has put much more faith in Tommy than he did last year with Everett. That would explain why Golson got yanked so many times last season.

But with Tommy gone, Kelly will be forced to move on with Golson or one of the other quarterbacks. That might force him to up his game, so to speak, when it comes to coaching the quarterbacks. He probably won’t have as much trust in any of the quarterbacks, so that might result in smarter/better playcalling. We may also see that great player development that Kelly talked about when ND hired him. All in all, not having a quarterback that he completely trusts might make Kelly a better coach, and it the team might be better off because of it. Sounds crazy, I know. But it gives me hope going into next season.

• tucsonfan - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

BK’s “never ending trust in Reese” is actually BK has nobody better than Reese. I would think we all realize this by now.

I don’t mean to be rude, ND, but most of the rest of your post is incoherent.

As for seeing that “player development that Kelly talked about” did you not notice how Golson progressed last year? I thought his USC game was incredible. And Reeese for all his shortcomings certainly is a better QB now than before as a result of the coaching he’s gotten.

• tucsonfan - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Wow–Manziel was the first freshman to win the Heisman, I think. Winston may do it this year. Very rare birds. To say EG doesnt measure up to them is almost meaningless.

I’d say BK was right on in his utilization of EG last year–do you think he will have forgotten how to use him? EG grew leaps and bounds through teh season.

What about this year’s team leads you to believe we could have “run a conservative, play action offense to be successful”? Other than a few rare bursts, our run game has been mediocre. GAIII is fast but not quick. CMD is ok but not a game changer, Amir is a mystery who has come nowhere close to his hype. Folston is a maybe, but he didnt look anything like the Navy version of himself vs Pitt. I think Kelly did the best with what he had on hand, then also had all the injuries.

6. 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

i haven’t read anyone predicting ND to beat BYU, Stanford and finishing up by winning their bowl game, so i’ll go ahead and make this prediction. keep in mind, i also predicted ND would go undefeated and play against Ohio State for the NCG this year, so my predictions come with plenty of grains of salt. after the tulsa game in 2010, things were looking pretty grim and 4 wins later it was a different story. this is what i want for christmas.

• nudeman - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

“i say bk pulls a lane kiffin; has EG wear #11 for the bowl game, change the play 8 out of every 10 plays and everyone will just assume its TR.”

At first blush, not a bad idea.
      But to really sell it, he’ll also need to bleach his skin, throw 3 picks and lose

So it sort of defeats the purpose
      In other words, NM

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

come on now, tr doesn’t always throw 3 picks and lose, though i grant you if he throws 3 picks a loss is just about a certainty.

what is NM?

• viktory2013 - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hahaha! Classic!
        Honestly guys, how much worse can Golson be than Rees? Got a kid here at Norco h.s. as good as “Reesus”.

7. fnc111 - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Youre right^^^^^^

Tommy dominates Air Force and Temple

8. fnc111 - Nov 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No one is talking about his future school work. Will EG be able to stay eligible?

He is a B- level QB and we are acting like he is a savior because he’s the only one on the roster with at least some ability. Why doesn’t Kelly get out of the way and get a QB coach? In order for ND to ever turn this around they need a big time threat at that position.

• pigfanincolorado - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Turn this around? They’ve won 19 of their last 24 against pretty solid competition – and played for a national championship. I know D1 coaches in successful programs that would push their wives down the stairs for that record. That isn’t necessarily the top of the heap and this year’s record has been, in my opinion, a direct reflection of losing Riddick, Teo, Golson, Eifert, Cave, and KLM. That isn’t an excuse, just reality. I’m not sure we’re talking about a 180 turn around, here.

• irish4life79 - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I believe EG will be a big time threat before he is finished at ND his mobility and ability to extend plays will make all our receivers better not to mention the added ability to run and pick up 1st downs from the qb position next year ND will be harder to game plan against on offense and I think he will play with somethin to prove and end up turning into the leader of this team I think from watchin this season playout (bad decisions by TR in all 3 losses) he realizes he must be smart smart with the football and help lead the team he has a shot and the talent to have a big come back year for the irish

• tucsonfan - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

get real. B- qb took us to the NC game? Maybe you just don’t understand football fnc.

9. returnofdamac - Nov 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

This comment section has become really depressing. Until EG goes out and puts up a 3 INT game against Michigan or loses to Pitt, I’d prefer not to see the word “mediocre” and Golson written in the same sentence. Maybe all those close games last year just weren’t “luck”. Maybe it was the product of having a QB who made defenses respect his ability to throw and run equally. A summer spent with the so called QB guru Whitfield, another 15 bowl practices, and a full spring getting starter reps. I, for one, am excited about next year.

Until the football gods crush me again and Tommy Rees is named the new QB coach at ND.

10. padomer - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I think most commenters were spot on saying the Manziel/Winston comparisons are unfair. However, I too am not necessarily sold that EG will be the savior, but that’s only because of the limited sample size and from the ball-control philosophy employed with him at the realm as a first year player with a stellar D. Obviously, as most have already either said or implied, not all true freshman QB’s are All-American caliber, as 95% of them need multiple years to get command of the entire playbook. THIS is what I’m most excited to see…EG with the entire playbook at his disposal. Only then will we know what we have. That said, his last year, with all things considered (watered-down playbook, ball-control-centric, freshman learning curve, etc.) he still had a better year than any of TR’s. And I don’t care about stats, he was a straight-up playmaker. That broken play against Pitt where he eludes the rush and finds Dav Daniels deep come to mind. Idk how soon to expect his ceiling to be reached, but if the parts are in place, and his potential is realized, I think you can totally win an NC or be a legit contender with him at the healm.