Danny Spond’s rise above adversity

Nov 23, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT

Danny Spond

In case you missed it, the NBC pregame show had a wonderful feature on Danny Spond, giving you a window into the life of the senior linebacker, who has had to transition from the starting lineup to life after football because of severe migraine headaches.

Spond rise about adversity has been one of the very wonderful stories of the season, watching a young man deal with a life-changing event in such a positive way. It’s hard to watch Spond’s father Don as he talks about not being able to see his son play football one last time.

Equally wonderful was Brian Kelly’s response to Spond addressing the team after being awarded the game ball after the Air Force victory, a game where Spond served as a game captain as the Irish played in front of his family and friends near his hometown in Colorado.

“That dude’s going to be president some day,” Kelly said.

***

1. wisner74 - Nov 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I know that this is a game early, but Nude, despite his flaws if Rees isn’t the team’s MVP, who is?

• nudeman - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Are you FUC**ng KIDDING ME? You’re worse than Keith.

How about TJ Jones?
      Has ANYONE been better at his position and contributed more than him?

Frankly, I’d take Jaylon Smith, Zack Martin, Chris Watt, Troy Niklas and about 7 other guys ahead of Tommy Rees. Maybe 17 other guys.

This is ridiculous. A bad QB who you all feel sorry for because he gets picked on here and on other sites and you want to excuse his awfulness and nominate him for MVP.

• onward2victory - Nov 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Why would you take an article about Sponds perseverance and turn it into a Rees debate?! Smh…

• wisner74 - Nov 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I can understand that criticism. I did it only because the game was over and KA’s next article wasn’t available yet. Like most of us, I have certain “windows of opportunity” to sign-on here, and that time yesterday was when I had mine. What’s “smh?”

2. papadec - Nov 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Now that was the ND team I have been expecting to see play – every week. Great line play – O & D!!!!

3. goirishgo - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

That was a terrific win by a very beat up team against a real solid opponent.

Beat Stanford!

• wisner74 - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM

No doubt.

4. dbldmr - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Nude, you are the man. When I saw the TR question I I knew that it was only a matter of “when” not “if” you would respond.

…and the answer is TJ Jones. Who has made more big plays?

• nudeman - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wisner has a serious blind spot and/or is related to Rees, much like that trbowman guy and Keith.

This guy is a below average QB who has had some nice moments but way too many more moments that have just KILLED the Irish.
      His end zone INT today was totally predictable.
      Did everything in his power to take this game, which should have been a 33-10 beatdown of an overrated team, and make it close.

Please … graduate. Go away.

• wisner74 - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You’re obsessed, Nude. But nevertheless, I’m surprised you took the bait. I just couldn’t resist poking a stick at you on this one.

We all agree that he is not a great QB, but most of us recognize that he is also not a below average QB. All any of us who have defended Rees here ever wanted was some balanced discussion about Rees. I can’t think of any other topic about which you and your minions are so biased.

Name me another player on this year’s team whose absence would have caused a more dramatic difference in this season record than Rees.

• joeblk10 - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

For the love… even though I may agree with you on most of this you really need to quit beating a dead horse Nude. Those are the same comments i believe you have posted about Rees in one form or another a hundred times. We all know…. you don’t like him…. move on for Christs sake. Enjoy the win.

• papadec - Nov 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Who passed the ball to him?

5. jem5b - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I thought the title was, and the video was about Danny Spond.
    Get your collective heads out of your asses, keep your vitriol for Tommy R when the column is about MVP or whatever other subject on the success or failure or ND football.
    Clowns like you(collectively) make it easy to shrug off an ND defeat knowing it rips your hearts out.

Danny Spond is/will be a terrific ambassador for OLU, and will continue to be so in his future.

• wisner74 - Nov 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Clowns?

6. bionicpeter - Nov 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM

He is an inspiration for all young people. May the good Lord grant him good health peace and happiness.
    When you look at many young people you wonder what it is coming to. Then comes Danny and you can see a wonderful young person who has risen heads above all of life’s trials and tribulations and become someone young people should want to mimic.

7. mediocrebob - Nov 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Danny Spond came out of nowhere last year and played his heart out. Did a lot of things that went unnoticed on a great defense. Good to see this story.

Also, great win today. While the score could’ve been worse and BYU may be a little overrated, this was still a hard fought win for a banged up Irish team. These are games the Irish were losing 5 years ago. Enjoy the win. Your lives must be miserable

Go Irish. Beat tree

• wisner74 - Nov 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don’t think there is any question that a Weis-coached team would have lost this game.

8. onward2victory - Nov 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Spond really is an inspiration. Seems like an awesome guy. I’d vote for him for president!!

9. danirish - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If Spond’s legacy is an awesome Jaylon Smith then I say yes, vote for him for Prez!

Well done young man! You are a ND guy!

GO IRISH!