Live Blog: Notre Dame vs. BYU

Nov 23, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

TJ Jones AP

For the second consecutive season, BYU visits Notre Dame, with the Cougars hoping to land the knock out punch that just evaded them last season.

As usual, you’ll have multiple options for following this game. Like all home games, you can watch the broadcast on NBC. If you can’t find a TV set, you can stream the game live here, and enjoy multiple camera angles, an HD video feed, and DVR capabilities. The pregame show will start streaming live at 3 p.m. with the game broadcast starting at 3:30.

(Overseas fans that are having trouble watching the game, simply reboot your internet browser and all should be good.)

You can also follow along with us here in the live blog. I’ll be joined by our friends at Irish Illustrated, who will help officiate. Standard rules apply: If you wouldn’t say it in the living room in front of your mother, don’t say it here.

Let’s enjoy the final home game of the season.

1. papadec - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM

What if mom was a combat boot wearing truck driver with a salty vocab?

2. fnc111 - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Folston is fun to watch.

3. fnc111 - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The only team ND has lost to after a bye week is USC. I believe that’s all-time.

4. fnc111 - Nov 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

JJones looks better than Nix.

5. fnc111 - Nov 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Kelly does a great job of keeping the games close. Always too scared to blow someone out.

6. irishdodger - Nov 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

ND has dominated the trenches, they have no excuse to blow this game. If they do…it’s 100% on the coaches. Horrible playcalling.

7. irishdodger - Nov 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Great win. So happy for the seniors. After the Pitt debacle, I wrongly predicted ND would get blown out. I still can’t believe ND only scored 23 pts w/ 425 yds offense.

8. ndgoldandblue - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

5 things:
    1) I love field goals…and I’m not being facetious. Turnovers, whether they’re from picks, fumbles or on downs, do nothing to help you win the game. If the Irish are in field goal range, I always hope they go for the three. You’re still getting points, and I don’t know why anyone would complain about getting points. I was glad to see Brindza get the three field goals.

2) Way to dig in, defense. Some people might forget, but last year’s defense gave up a lot of yards. It was on their side of the field that the Irish did the most damage. Either they gave up a field goal attempt, or they got a turnover. That was the defense that showed up today. Sure, they got gashed a few times, but on their side of the field, they battened down the hatches and limited the damage. Nicely done.

3) Speaking of which, where was this team against Pitt? BYU is a better team than Pitt. Now that I’m thinking about it, Michigan St. is better than Michigan, and Arizona St. is better than Oklahoma. If dictionaries had pictures, next to the word “inconsistent”, there would be a photo of the 2013 Notre Dame football team…with a small captioned picture of Oregon for honorable mention.

4) I don’t want to get negative because I’m incredibly thrilled at the result of this game, but I just have one nit. I don’t care if Notre Dame ever throws the ball on first down ever again. Wow, talk about a drive killer. Four times–twice before halftime and twice after–the Irish had the ball inside BYU’s 30-yard line after gashing them on the ground, and they threw the ball on first down. Incomplete. Those four possessions ended in two field goals (good) and two turnovers on downs (bad). I hate to play the woulda’, coulda’, shoulda’ game, but I think Notre Dame would have scored a touchdown on at least one of those possessions if Brian Kelly hadn’t gotten cute on first down.

5) Tommy Rees has played in four senior day games, starting three of them, and the Irish have won all four. What does that mean? Well…if anything, he wins on senior day. Enough said.