Nov 24, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
A little winter weather wasn’t enough to deter 2015 quarterback Blake Barnett from committing to Notre Dame this weekend. The junior quarterback from Orange County, California gave the Irish a building block recruit for next season’s cycle, with the offensive coaching staff finding what looks like an excellent fit for the Irish offense.
Barnett’s commitment didn’t come as a complete surprise, considering the junior came back to South Bend for his second visit in a month, after taking in the USC game. And with both his parents with him this weekend, Barnett confirmed his decision today via Twitter.
Barnett had early offers from Arizona, Cal, UCLA, Ole Miss and West Virginia among others, all programs that run an up-tempo, spread attack. That’s a sign that Kelly and Chuck Martin may have refined their focus, keying in quickly on Barnett and not on earlier offers to a more traditional dropback quarterbacks like Jack Beneventi.
Barnett’s thrown for 20 touchdown passes during his junior season, while the 6-foot-4, 195-pounder has run for 624 yards on almost eight yards a carry. He joins offensive lineman Jerry Tillery in the 2015 class.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 37
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 103
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18