Irish add QB recruit Blake Barnett to 2015 class

Nov 24, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT

Blake Barnett

A little winter weather wasn’t enough to deter 2015 quarterback Blake Barnett from committing to Notre Dame this weekend. The junior quarterback from Orange County, California gave the Irish a building block recruit for next season’s cycle, with the offensive coaching staff finding what looks like an excellent fit for the Irish offense.

Barnett’s commitment didn’t come as a complete surprise, considering the junior came back to South Bend for his second visit in a month, after taking in the USC game. And with both his parents with him this weekend, Barnett confirmed his decision today via Twitter.

Barnett had early offers from Arizona, Cal, UCLA, Ole Miss and West Virginia among others, all programs that run an up-tempo, spread attack. That’s a sign that Kelly and Chuck Martin may have refined their focus, keying in quickly on Barnett and not on earlier offers to a more traditional dropback quarterbacks like Jack Beneventi.

Barnett’s thrown for 20 touchdown passes during his junior season, while the 6-foot-4, 195-pounder has run for 624 yards on almost eight yards a carry. He joins offensive lineman Jerry Tillery in the 2015 class.

1. dickasman - Nov 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM

He looks like he could be BK’s son

• dickasman - Nov 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM

A long lost one most likely

• wisner74 - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, except for the fact that he’s, like, 9 inches taller than Kelly!

Seems like a great get. It’s really gratifying to hear about guys who clearly are focused on ND early on. But, holy smokes, I do hope that the kid dedicates himself to both the training table and the weight room! He’s built more like a shooting guard.

2. redyellowgold - Nov 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Great job. We’re doing pretty well I’d say in recruiting territory for 2014 too. I noticed ratings-wise, we have a lot of highly rated O-line and D-line players. I like that — I’d actually rather have good lineman than good skill players. I remember in Clausen’s first couple years they had all those skill players and they could barely win a game because the O-line was so bad.

Side note, anyone else think it’s weird that we hang our hopes/discussions/etc on 16- and 17-year old kids (and even now they’re recruiting sophomores)?

• papadec - Nov 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM

and Freshmen!!!!!!!!!

• mtflsmitty - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Agree on your side note. I make for of myself for this all the time. It’s asinine, yet entertaining.

For anyone who didn’t read the article Nude posted a couple days ago, it’s worth a read. When thinking about these young kids making decisions, I can’t help but to think of the support system they have around them, or don’t as the case may be. This kid could have accepted the offer to OL Miss, and would never have to attend class or write a paper. How attractive that might seem to a bullet proof 17 year old who is sure to be the next Tom Brady. How sad it is when the FSUs of the world chew them up and spit them out with no skills, and a degree that’s nothing but paper in a $.99 frame.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I agree generally. Many of these kids clearly don’t have the guidance they need from parents, coaches, whomever. Look at Gunner Kiel. . . Indiana, LSU, ND and now Cincinnati. There’s one confused kid. He’ll be 20 or 21 before he throws a pass in a real college football game.

But I do think that there are plenty of kids who go to some of these other schools and actually study. No doubt there are many others who do coast in ways that would get them booted from ND quickly (or from Stanford or some other schools). But you can certainly be a football player at FSU and get a meaningful degree. Remember a kid named Rolle several years ago? It came down to ND and FSU for him. He chose FSU and went on to become an excellent college player. He also went on to become a Rhodes scholar and studied at Oxford for a year or two. I’m guessing he’s a doctor by now, or at least in Med School.

• onward2victory - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I’ll never take a Deadspin article seriously after they “broke” the Manti story last year. Instead of just reporting that Lennay was not real, they went way too far in building a BS case that Manti made it all up. And the whole nation believed it for about a week until real evidence came out.

Point being, Deadspin is a sensationalist “news” source that I don’t trust worth a lick. So without reading the article, I have no doubt that FSU, the SEC, and many other schools are ruining what it means to be a student athlete.

• danirish - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

HEY! FSU is a fine university! The frames cost up to $5.99 with pictures of Bowden on EACH corner!

• nudeman - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Kills me to say it, but good point wisner.

I’d love to know the real facts on some of these schools and guys who go there. Many are all too quick to assume a kid is “dirty” if he goes elsewhere. That might be true in some/many cases, but strikes me as arrogant on our part.

I’d love to know what really is the truth. Is it worse than we think?
        Not as bad?

For those who are interested, the SI story on Oklahoma State was even better, but in a more disgusting way. It was I think #3 in a series of 6.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

C’mon, Nude. Other than re TR, I don’t think you and I are usually in disagreement. Of course, maybe I don’t sign-on often enough to let you know I agree with whatever the issue of the moment is.

I can’t help it that you are dramatically overreacting re Rees (ha-ha).

3. cvazac - Nov 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Pleated pants.

4. 25kgold - Nov 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

#25

5. hotlantalaw - Nov 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Welcome

6. knuterocknesghost - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM

IRISH PUMA posted November 24th, at 3:28 a.m. “One last thing you may have all changed your tune in hindsight but most all of my off season prognosticating has come true and I have not received one “you were right” I apologize etc. Whereas I was quite outspoken saying I hope I am wrong and I will be the first one to come on here and issue a mea culpa. ….. All things I told you would happen….before the hate starts rolling I am by no means Nostradamus….as nude and others had my back and agreed and predicted the same outcome. But why we had to get blasted for it is beyond me.”

Now…. join me in my time machine and let’s go back to where the great oracle of nbcsports.com made his predictions:

IRISH PUMA posted August 29th, at 12:51 a.m. “Reesus Mary and Joseph….Prediction 1.5 turnovers per game 1,900 yards 18 TD 10 Picks…8-4…..Assuming he gets to play all 12. Big assumption.”

Well, instead of an 18 TDs to 10 INTs ratio, TR has 25 TDs and 11 INTs so far, and at least two of the INTs were not his fault. 2,739 yards passing and counting. Likely a 3,000 yard season for TR. And, gee, no mention of the injuries sustained by the team, especially to key members of the defense, including Tuit’s slow recovery from back surgery, and Day constantly fighting injury. No mention of how the defense failed to match last year’s defense, and even more, failed to match the expectation for the defense this season. So, of course, it makes all kinds of sense for us to pin this “disappointing” season all on Tommy Rees.

Show of hands, who wants to give credit our sage, our wise man, our great and grand wizard PUMA for being so prescient, and offer a humble apology for thinking him rather absurd?

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Well done, KRG.

• knuterocknesghost - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

An interesting comparison to last season: Total points scored by ND through 11 games: 2013 / 305; 2012 / 299. Total opponents points scored through 11 games: 2013 / 248; 2012 / 111. Of course, the fact that ND has yielded more than double the opponents point total is all Tommy Rees’ fault according to Irish legends Puma and his alter ego, Nude. But it’s still interesting for some of us lesser lights, lacking in football knowledge like Puma and Nude, to imagine what the season would have been had the high expectations for this defense been at least matched on the field by last year’s defense.

• irishpuma - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

lol thanks for the kind words Knute if I were as obsessed with you as much as you are of me I could find your comments about him being the next Tom Brady and leading them to 11-1 season but I digress. I am glad I was able to draw you out of mom’s basement for a rant!!

Again I stand by my predictions he had more yards and a few more picks but all I care about is the record. FYI he had more yards because we were losing a lot and had to throw more and partly because BK is fixated on the passing game. I am sure none of the picks were his fault as well as all of the wins…you can’t have it both ways buddy. The defense has been subpar agreed but if they had not had to be on the field constantly it might be different and when they were getting tommy boy and EG wins you were not citing them as the reason but giving all credit to the one and only REESUS…..

you sound like the only one in here that would belong to an organization that has grand wizard’s omg what would Doc Rivers say about that…..he would not be happy son!

• danirish - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think people are “picking on you” because for some reason you think you have the “all-knowing” power of perception when it comes to all things Notre Dame football.

We all made predictions, some proclaimed gloom and doom when Golsen was sent packing, I remember a few 6-5′s and a few 11-1′s and some 8-4′s and some 9’3′s

If we beat Stanford my prediction of 9-3 will be correct – I never would of guessed one loss would be to Pitt, I figured Michigan, Oklahoma and Stanford.

What that basically means is that I was lucky – maybe I should play the lottery.

What most haven’t done except you and maybe fnc111 is brag about how we have special powers of perception and demand special attention when we are “right.”

Give it a rest, have fun, its been a crazy season.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

C’mon, Puma, lighten up. KRG was just kidding; you know — like you always do. No offense intended, man!

But you are still up to your (and other TR-basher’s) old tricks of deliberately mischaracterizing what many of us have been saying all along about TR. I seriously doubt that you could find a comment ever on this board from ANYONE that TR is the next Tom Brady or that he’d lead the Irish to an 11-1 season.

I think almost all of the hyperbole in this debate about TR is on the negative side, and you are a leading contributor to that.

7. irishlee10 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Let’s just make sure a tommy Rees never happens again

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Irishlee – I can’t imagine how you can say that. Even Nudeman and his fellow-travelers wouldn’t go that far (or at least most of them wouldn’t).

Rees is going to finish no worse than fifth in passing yardage at ND and third (or even second) in TD passes.

I suppose we could play make-believe and come up with an imaginary All-American QB, but let’s stick to reality. I don’t think there can be any legitimate debate about the following two statements:

1. Tommy Rees never happened ND would not have gone undefeated last season and gotten to the NC game.

2. If Tommy Rees never happened, ND would likely have had a losing record this year with either Andrew Hendrix or a true freshman at QB.

OK, to keep Nude and others from completely stroking-out here’s a third statement:

3. If TR never happened some very untimely and crucial game-changing interceptions would not have occurred.

But given who we have ACTUALLY HAD at QB on the roster since the 2010, is there anyone who would like to try to make the case that ND’s cumulative record since then would have been better if TR never happened?

Nude, you up for it? How about you, Puma?

• danirish - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Here is the thing about Rees IMHO – Its when he throws the int, it is bone breaking, crushing, hurtful.

Who knows what would happen if Rees was not here (see Knuterocknesghost post above on PUMA)

We can all say that he did his best but I am glad, just like Ron Powlus, that he is going to graduate so the debate is over. I hope he succeeds in whatever he does, he may even find himself on a pro team.

Next year we all can complain and armchair about whether Golsen, Zaire or Kizer should be playing and complain about play calling.

• irishpuma - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Wise hold that thought….late for work but I will try and reply tonight…I agree with the premise but…….

• ndadvocate - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It’s simple…The presence of Tommy rees at Notre Dame equates to more wins for the Irish.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Danirish, I agree with you about TR’s notable talent for throwing really bad, untimely INTs. I wouldn’t say I will be glad when he’s gone — I’d love to have him as my second-team QB and designated relief pitcher forever.

I think we will all be relieved when we can argue about something else, though. I just think many of us are simply looking for the kid to get the credit he deserves along with all of the vitriol.

8. footballnut85 - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I don’t know why anyone gets excited over “commits” from juniors! These kids change their minds at the drop of a hat.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ain’t that the truth.

But this kid seems solid — two trips in one month, and both of his parents visit with him the second time. It makes it seem like this kid has been dreaming of playing for ND all along. Don’t know if that’s true, but it’d be nice.

9. danirish - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

When I see he chose ND over blah blah and UCLA I get real nervous and a bit mad. I think UCLA is one of the most dubious, punk-like programs in the country especially after their BS continual recruitment and gift giving of the Eddie Vanderpunk issue

Sometimes I think these kids commit just to maybe take some pressure off, who knows. I’ll be happy when they sign on the dotted line and thanks to the Vanderpunk family and the NCAA that doesn’t mean much anymore.

Hope to see him wearing a Golden Dome

GO IRISH!

10. knuterocknesghost - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Dear Blake: Don’t ever stumble. I know that the last perfect human being to walk the earth was crucified by the Romans, but if you stumble and are not perfect with a quarterback rating of 200, expect worse from a lot of egotistical ND fans who fantantize that they are more expert on football than Brian Kelly, and love to gush on these pages all their supposed football smarts. Do your best to shake it off. Ignore the ignorance. Follow Tommy Rees’ example as to how he has handled himself after being loudly booed at the Purdue game last year to pull out a win for ND. Maturity and poise has always been TR’s hallmark even from the time he stepped onto the playing field at age 17. It’s those traits that still give ND a chance to pull an upset over Stanford if our defense shows up again as they did against BYU. Other than these ignorant ND fans who are still a minority, ND’s atmosphere is a very welcoming and encouraging environment to play football.

“The credit belongs ot the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best, if he wins, knows the thrills of high achievement, and, if he fails, at least fails daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” TR (in this case, Teddy Roosevelt).

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Wow. That was, indeed, an homage. I shudder to think of the alter devoted to Tommy Rees that you built in your bedroom.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Another glaring example of the same overt hyperbole in use here by the cadre of Tommy-bashers.

I was at the Purdue game last year NDgold, and I hated what happened there. It was unbecoming of our University. I never posted here before that game.

Whenever I see ignorant sarcasm like you just displayed, it takes me back to that game.

TR is not a QB blessed with above average physical ability. But I have to say that I doubt that if I were in his shoes as an 18-21 year old I could’ve handled myself as well as he has.

Were you one of those cretins in the stands who booed TR last year during the Purdue game?

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

To paraphrase your own advice of a previous comment, come on, wisner, lighten up. I was just kidding. You know–like you always do. No offense, man.

By the way, you keep using the word “hyperbole”. I do not think it means what you think it means. And if you want to see ignorant sarcasm, just check out the ghost’s comment above. Coming onto a message board and insulting a majority of the posters is just bad form and worthy of a sarcastic response.

And no, I was not at that game. With a two-year-old son and a wife who works at the hospital on weekends, all I can do watch the game on the TV.

• irishpuma - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

love it nd gold blue! you know the ghost is walking around on game day with a piece of tommy’s hair in his pocket wearing his authentic game used tommy jock and trying to mimic TR’s timeout calling in the mirror. Nailed it!

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I’ll stick by my use of the word NDgold, but thanks. Oh, and by the way, I think the word you were looking for is “altar.”

Ghost’s characterizations are in fact fairly accurate and fair descriptions of several posters here when it comes to the topic of TR. He comments about Rees were also fair.

Notably his post was not directed at anyone in particular. (Did you see yourself in it?) But your post was directed at him. It was sarcastic and NOT fair. Could even be offensive to some. That’s bad form. So I’ll stick with my “ignorant sarcasm” label.

It is purely and simply because I was at the Purdue game last year that I have little patience for some of the crap posted here about Rees — including yours. It still bothers me that so many ND fans in the stands that night (it was late when Rees came into the game), booed the kid. I’m glad to hear that you weren’t one of them.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Seriously, wisner, the guy wrote a frickin’ love note to Tommy Rees. This “Love it, or leave it” crap is getting old. No way does Tommy Rees deserve some of the criticism he receives, and I agree that too much of it is over the top. But this hateful defense of the dude for any criticism and the reaction that those who do criticize aren’t real fans reminds me of Ted Nugent and his on-stage rants about how real Americans should love guns, and those who don’t should just leave.

I don’t mind eternal sunshine and rainbows. If that’s your way, then kudos to you. No one is going to stop you. On the other side of the coin, if you want to be constantly negative, then be my guest. Neither opinion bothers me. But when it veers into idealistic condescension, that’s when I feel the need to speak up. If you want to provide an opinion, fine. Just don’t come across as holier-than-thou because that’s all it is…an opinion.

And by the way, thanks for the spell check.

11. NotreDan - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Fantantize. 1. v. The attempted act of looking smart on an anonymous football forum under the name of a dead coach.

12. max0101 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Keith – he is actually the QB at Corona Santiago HS in Riverside County, CA. Plays in an excellent league which has lately produced Taylor Martnez, Vontez Burfict and Toby Gerhart to name a few – so he is putting up numbers against top competition. In the limited number of plays I have seen him, he appears to have good mobility and a strong arm. He is able to avoid the pass rush and throw with accuracy while on the run.

• jpwills19 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Santiago is the crosstown rival of Corona Centennial (one of the best HS programs in the nation), so you’re right when you say that he’s playing against top competition. Both are right down the street from me so I’m looking forward to catching one of his games live. The Centennial basketball coach has been telling me how good this kid is all fall, so I’m excited about this commit.

• viktory2013 - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hey I live in Norco about a block from Norco High, Toby Gearhart’s school. The kid from Santiago is a great catch for ND. I’m pleasantly surprised SC didn’t snag him.

• dudeacow - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Not to mention that he plays Mission Viejo, Max Redfield’s alma mater.

13. farwest99 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Nude said:
    I’d love to know the real facts on some of these schools and guys who go there………..I’d love to know what really is the truth. Is it worse than we think?
    Not as bad?
    I do NOT believe that grad rates tell the whole story, because kids major in clown subjects, take clown classes (Leinart), have people write papers for them, are given answers, etc etc. and can end up with a degree without doing a damn thing. Gotta’ say that on this topic, I really admire a guy like Big Lou. First in his family to graduate, doing it in under 4 years, and is taking 19 hours this semester. I doubt it’s in Ballroom Dancing. “………………

Got one example for you from the Texas Longhorns.
    Live here in Austin and am very familiar with their program. While they do have some excellent student athletes, but when push comes to shove, if an athlete is good enough the student can take a big back seat.

Had an assistant 4 years ago who graduated from UT during their football NC season.

One day inquired if she had classes with any of the scholarship players from that NC football team.
    Yes. She had a psychology class with the famous QB Vince Young.

Asked her what she thought of Vince?

Well she said, didn’t get to know him to well.
    Said he showed up for the first class and she never saw him again, until the final test on the last day of class.

Okayyyy……….Vince did not graduate, but he was a hell of a football player.

If memory serves his purported NFL Wonderlic test score was a 6 with the average QB being about 24.

• nudeman - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

If you’ve never taken the Wonderlic (it’s available, on line), you can’t appreciate how bad 6 is.

This infuriates me because, although he owns some responsibility here, this kid isn’t even 30 but is now out of football, has gone through his money (or so he says) and has no education.
      Totally unprepared for life.

His parents, his HS and UTX all need to be ashamed for how they’ve used this man.

Worse though, there are probably 500 others like him playing CFB right now, and another 500 on the way.

• wisner74 - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I agree with 90% of this, Nude, but if Vince Young has gone through all of his money, who does he have to blame except himself?

I feel sorrier for the kids who don’t get an education, use up their eligibility, and then don’t even get a whiff of pro money. And kids like that get turned out by the hundreds every year.

• bernhtp - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Vince is a sad case. Won the NC almost single-handed and then has a total brain melt in the pros. The steakhouse with his name has been advertising on TV a bunch recently. I wonder if he still has any ownership in it. I’ve never been there.

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If he actually got a 6 on the Wonderlic as Farwest99 says, your term “brain melt” may be close to literally true. I actually took the Wonderlic just for fun last night after I saw Nude’s comment about it. A 6! My god! And Texas is a very good state university. (Yeah, I know, I know. . . .)

If VY actually got a 6 on that test, he should be the poster child for why the NFL should fund and run a minor-league system for talented players who have no business going to college.

14. irishpuma - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM

New topic brothers!! Is Kelly really implying that there is an open race next year between Malik the Freak and EG. I am a huge Zaire guy but come on if EG is on squad and passing classes it makes almost no sense to infer the Red shirt Frosh should take the helm. Especially as he was not deemed good enough to take the ship from Captain Tom. Redshirt Kize, get Malik some reps in blowouts and dare I say Hendrix as QB3? I only say this cuz of Kelly’s post game interview…..I know I would not offer him the 5th year but Kelly seemed to imply after the game or season they would be talking with him.

Who knows anymore. I think Kelly is either an idiot or genius. Discuss.

15. fnc111 - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Drop the rinky dink spread offense already. ND will never win against big time competition with it. Neither will Oregon.