Stanford QB Hogan could’ve been Irish

Nov 25, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT

Kevin Hogan, Dan Camporeale AP

When Notre Dame takes the field this weekend, the Irish will face a quarterback that grew up dreaming of playing in this game. Only Kevin Hogan always pictured himself calling the plays for the Fighting Irish.

Hogan, the junior quarterback for Stanford, took the reins of the Cardinal offense in late October last season, replacing Josh Nunes and leading Stanford to a Rose Bowl victory. But before he won the first eleven starts of his college career (he’s now 15-2), Hogan was a kid that spent countless weekends in Notre Dame Stadium.

Hogan’s father went to Notre Dame. So did his sister. So did a dozen cousins, aunts, uncles and his paternal grandfather. Uncles Coley O’Brien and Ivan Brown played football for the Irish.

As Hogan was establishing himself as one of the top players in Washington D.C. at Gonzaga Prep College High School (alma mater of current Irish freshman Devin Butler), Notre Dame came calling with then offensive coordinator Charley Molnar and Kerry Cooks handling the recruitment.

Check out this time capsule back to March of 2010, when Hogan was in the middle of his recruitment.

This from Pete Sampson over at Irish Illustrated ($):

“It’s pretty exciting for them to have Notre Dame talking to me and possibly wanting me to go there,” Hogan said. “I know everything about Notre Dame, it’s been my whole life.”

That doesn’t mean Notre Dame will automatically be part of Hogan’s future, although the Irish do have the quarterback’s attention. Hogan holds offers from Boston College, Virginia, Maryland and Rutgers. Florida, Duke and Pittsburgh have shown interest.

“I’m going to take all my visits to the schools that are recruiting me,” Hogan said, adding that he might not wait for the official visit calendar to kick in if he can see his schools of choice early. “I want to meet all the coaches and see how I fit in because it doesn’t matter who I rooted for as a kid, it matters what’s later on and what’s the best fit for me.”

Hogan went to the Irish’s junior day, but left without a scholarship offer, with the staff explaining that they were waiting on a few other options to play out before offering the Irish legacy.

Hogan didn’t end up waiting for an Irish offer, committing to Jim Harbaugh and then offensive coordinator David Shaw the summer before his senior season, after camping in Palo Alto with the Cardinal coaches.

That recruiting cycle saw the Irish nabbing a dual-threat player named Everett Golson, after Golson’s pledge got shaky after NCAA sanctions came down on Butch Davis’ program. He was the fourth quarterback signed in two cycles, with the Irish bringing in Andrew Hendrix, Tommy Rees and Luke Massa in the transitional class the Irish signed between Kelly and Charlie Weis.

So with the Irish facing a dangerous Stanford offense that features Hogan as its capable trigger man, it’s hard not to think what might have been.

1. dickasman - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Speaking of Kevin Hogan, when will George Atkinson be moved to CB? I see Bobby Taylor.

2. dickasman - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Was he in attendance when his dad wrestled Macho man randy savage on Saturday nights Maine event when they were both harassing da hell outta Ms. Elizabeth?

3. padomer - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

In the limited sample size I’ve seen of Hogan, I feel like he’s what Hendrix’s ceiling would look like. That said I think EG’s upside is higher than Hogan’s anyhow.

• irishpuma - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:46 AM

uhhhh Hendrix’s ceiling looks about as high as a pop up tent and as sturdy…….Hogan is a 100 times better are you serious. I do agree EG has more potential.

• nudeman - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Until the USC debacle, I’d have agreeed that Hendrix looks better.
        They both have the same elongated throwing motion that sucks.

Hogan has better pocket presence than Hendrix, but so does Punxsutawney Phil when he sees the sun.

I think Hogan and Rees are a near toss up with Phil 3rd and AH 4th.

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

That was a good one, Nude, and not because my name is Phil.

4. viktory2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Hogan is Coley O’ Brien’s nephew?? How ironic.

He’s a decent QB surrounded by a strong team. Having Gaffney, Montgomery and their offensive line makes him excell, but Utah and SC beat him….Washington was a play away and ASU almost caught up. So despite pounding Oregon into a bloody pulp, there are chinks in the armor if Notre Dame shows up and remembers it’s closing day for ’13.

5. scottatnd - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I think Hogan is dreaming about attacking our secondary.

6. mediocrebob - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM

But he’s having nightmares about that Tuitt guy.

7. fnc111 - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

This is exactly why I call Kelly an idiot. Ive said all season Hogan should be at ND right now. Welcome to Kelly Rees yearly 8-4 land.

• nudeman - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

You’re wrong.
      I’ve seen Hogan play and if he’s any better than Rees it’s by a very, very thin shade of gray.

Your stuff about “Kelly sucks, blah blah” is predictable, tired, and a waste of cyber space.
      Come up with something new.

• edwards750 - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Amen nudeman. My only rub on BK is once he knew Golson wasn’t going to be able to play why didn’t he un-redshirt Zaire. TR was the backup qb for a reason. Granted he bailed ND out a few games last season and this season and cost them a few but we all know he cant seem to get through a game w/o throwing a pick. There is never a good time for that but he seems to pick the worst possible, game changing times to do it. On the flip side after seeing Hendrix in the USC game we all realized there is NO backup. Pretty scary. Several teams have good backups like Missouri who has never missed a beat without their starter, Florida who has gone south but might have anyway and Tennessee who may have their qb of the future. What would Alabama do w/o McCarron? Who is his back up anyway? They have studs all over the place but lets get real you gotta have somebody drive the bus. Idk if the Irish would have won the games they lost had Golson played. Our D is not what it was last season and for the life of me don’t understand the offensive play calling and at times the D play calling. Hopefully they will bring their A game this Sat but I think given what happened last season looks like a W for the Cardinal.

• irishpuma - Nov 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

AMen Edward!!! That was my main bitch….Not a lot of forward thinking in my opinion. I was getting crushed in arguments and I agreed TR would be better then Zaire but not by a lot and 8-4 gets us nowhere so why not start building this kid up now so we are not in the same boat next year. Thankfully it looks like Golson will return but had he not, or had difficulties or if he has them again we don’t have a QB on the roster who had taken game snaps…assuming Hendrix goes off into the sunset. If everything goes to plan it will still work out and maybe we get an extra year of zaier after Golson leaves but I like to live in the now!

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

irishpuma
        Actually it’s TOO MUCH forward thinking.
        Kelly recently said he likes the idea of having Zaire as a 5th year senior
        I guess there’s tremendous value in that in Kelly’s opinion

We can argue whether that’s smart or not, but that’s his reasoning

Personally, I’d have liked to see Zaire this year get some snaps, especially after seeing how much Hendrix has regressed. Ron-Powlus-Disease all time winner.

The other thing is this: Zaire as a 5th year senior is 4 years away.
        We all could be dead by then.

8. dbldmr - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

fnc, that is not exactly why you call Kelly an idiot. You will take any opportunity to call him an idiot, as you have demonstrated with relentless regularity throughout this football season.

9. runners00 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I try to resist the, “Someone on the internet’s wrong; I have to correct them,” reaction but I can’t help it in this case. Hogan should have been Irish. He’s a good quarterback and he’s got history with Notre Dame and he’s probably a loyal fan — or was until he went to Stanford.

But there are a lot of quarterbacks that we missed. There are a lot of kids. And, truthfully, there are only so many that will arrive prepared to lead a big-time program or that will develop into an individual who can lead a big-time program. Jeff Driskel was the number 1 pro syle quarterback in the 2011 class. How are things looking at Florida, where he landed? Granted he’s injured but even last year he hardly played the part. Look at the 2010 class, with Jake Heaps, Phil Sims and Connor Wood. None of those guys are lighting it up, either.

There is a lot to the position. And while the recruiting grids help narrow the athletes, they’re not the end-all, be-all. AJ McCarron, who I think is the most underrated of all college quarterbacks, was ranked 7th at his position in the 2009 recruiting class. All he’s done is lead Alabama to back-to-back national titles.

• nudeman - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Well if you read the article above you’ll note that ND chose Golson over Hogan in that cycle
      From what I’ve seen of both, that was the right decision
      So while I hate seein a kid with Hogan’s bloodlines go elsewhere too, it was probably best for all

• papadec - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Hogan can still continue his ND bloodline by getting a Graduate degree @ ND.

10. irish4life79 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Idk if Hogan would have been better for ND than Golson but I do know we were a solid QB away from being only a 1 or 2 loss team at this point even with all the injuries

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I’d take Golson over Hogan any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

• viktory2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Absolutely! Not even a close call.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I’m not the biggest Rees supporter, but I still think he’s a “solid” quarterback. And I’m very hesitant to believe that he, alone, is the reason the Irish have three losses. Johnny Manziel is on a team with three losses as well. A quarterback can only do so much.

11. irish4life79 - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

whats BK’s gameplan this sat its obvious Stanford will try to pound us with the run so we will need another JJ type effort and I Think they should Get Nikklas the ball hes been kinda quiet in the pass game lately

12. 25kgold - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

This is ND’s BCS game. If nothing else, even just a competitive showing Saturday can redeem this season! A win will shut up some critics, and could factor into what ranking ND enters into next season.

13. espy70 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Loving ND and living in the bay I have seen a lot of both QB’s and Reese is no where near as good as Hogan.

14. jucam1 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

God bless the Irish fans, the height of delusional. Hogan is WAY better than Hendrix could hope to be. He’s better than Golston too, trust me, i’ve seen the kid play, the offense confines him a bit. While it’s true that Stanford has way more talent than ND and that they will destroy ND this week, it is an interesting debate to see how Hogan would have done this season with this crappy ND squad

• andy44teg - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’d be more worried if you actually thought ND was GOING to beat Stanford.

• edwards750 - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM

jucam…I agree Hogan is better than Hendrix…duh at this point who wouldn’t be? And that’s Golson not Golston – don’t agree he is better than him and your anti-ND rhetoric is noted for what it’s worth. As for way better – wow are you an English major…wouldn’t say that at all otherwise the Cardinal wouldn’t have lost to USC and Utah. Notre Dame has been less than stellar this season and several losses should not have happened but is what it is.

• jmfinsd - Nov 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

And BYU will roll ND.

15. dbldmr - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Ah, jucam, great to hear from you. Missed your commentary after BYU pounded Notre a Dame last week.

Wait…what? Oh ND beat BYU. Sorry, my mistake.

16. nudeman - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I’ll make this prediction right now: If ND comes out running and doesn’t have immediate success Kelly and Martin will start throwing it all over the place and the 47 rushes vs BYU will be an ancient memory.

I say that with about 100% confidence

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Unfortunately, I think you are absolutely right about that. I’m a BK fan, but he does not seem to have much patience with pounding away if it’s not successful early.

• viktory2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Yes true. That’s where a hot quarterback defenses respect would come in handy. Next year this won’t be a problem guys.

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Even as a pretty well established TR supporter, I have to agree that’s absolutely true. EG’s mistake made an enormous difference in this season. I think BK needs to get a lot of credit for dealing with a situation he could not see coming as well as he has.

17. oldschoollyons - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Since Kelly takes one quarterback per year, “what might have been” is that Kelly might have offered Hogan instead of Golson. To be sure, Hogan was the much more highly rated quarterback. However, he would not necessarily have chosen ND over Stanford, notwithstanding his youthful enthusiasm about ND.

It is interesting, though, that you think ND got the short end of that decision and would have been better off with Hogan than with Golson. As you repeatedly show, Keith, it is almost always worthwhile to open the curtains and let in a little light.

• wisner74 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I think that the best argument that you can make for Hogan over Golson this season is that Hogan is playing while Golson is in academic purgatory and not playing. So I suppose if Hogan had come to ND he’d be starting instead of Rees.

Other than that, I really think that Golson is going to be special when he comes back. I’m expecting big things from him next fall, especially with a really nice supporting cast on offense around him. He’s got a much bigger upside than Hogan.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

wisner
        That’s BS.
        You’ll be eternally in mourning over Rees being gone :)

• wisner74 - Nov 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Hah! But I do have to agree in one sense, Nude. From what I can tell of the TR overall, as a teammate, leader, class act (OK, the thing with the cop was not good), I will miss him being on the team and representing the University. I’ll also miss him as about a rock-solid of a backup QB as you could ask for.

But like all of us, I am certainly ready to see Golson at QB now that he seems to have the system down and will be surrounded by lots of talented, experience depth at RB, WR, and TE, as well as playing behind what should be a stout and deep O-Line. Next year could be a really gratifying year on offense for the Irish. I think it will be the first time we’ll get to see the full version of BK’s vision for the offense.

18. rocket1988 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Coach Kelly already had a couple of ND legacies at QB. The bad, Nate Montana and the good Dan LeFeavour at CMU. I think if Hogan wanted ND bad enough he would’ve come. The idea of one QB is not the reason.

19. padomer - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

So as not to be misunderstood when I said that Hogan right now is what could have or should have been AH’s ceiling, I meant that if AH got the keys to the offense instead of Rees, and progressed to the most of his abilities, it would resemble what Hogan brings to the table now. I certainly didn’t mean AH is as good as Hogan is now. But that speaks more to AH’s underwhelming efforts when played, not to Hogan being Andrew Luck. I truly wasn’t blown away by hogan, but again I don’t catch much Stanford games. To me, again on the surface level, if you have to ask Hogan to win the game on his shoulders it may be asking too much from him. He’s best suited with a two score lead heading into the fourth with his bruising style of running and the passing lanes that open up from his running. On the flip side, if he’s down two scores in the fourth quarter and needs to rely on all things quarterback (i.e. reads, arm strength, accuracy etc.) I think the opponent is in rather good shape. However, I may be completely wrong as some of you may have seen him in action more than I.

20. padomer - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM

perhaps Keith can answer this one, and not that it matters, but one of the posters raised a good point about missing on potential quarterbacks and quarterbacks that have the measurables outta high school that seem to scream can’t miss. Dayne Crist comes to mind. But to my question, Keith, or do any of y’all know how close we were or if we were in on Andrew Luck or Matt Ryan? Stanford and BC boys, wonder if we got spurned or just straight up swung and missed?