It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH)

Dec 3, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT

Matt Cashore - USA Today Sports Matt Cashore - USA Today Sports

Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin has boarded a private plane with his family to Oxford, Ohio, where he’ll be named the new head coach of the Miami Redhawks. Martin interviewed for the job on Sunday and will likely be introduced later today by Miami athletic director David Sayler.

Martin will fill a job vacancy that’s been open since Miami fired Don Treadwell after starting the season 0-5.

While the news was considered imminent, Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson was at the South Bend Regional Airport to get the scoop, which included a few great quotes from Martin.

“Just a great opportunity from a head coaching standpoint,” Martin told Irish Illustrated before taking off. “Great school, cradle of coaches, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, there’s a lot that goes along with it.”

Martin said he doesn’t know if he’ll stay with Notre Dame through its undetermined bowl game, although he’s been in contact with Kelly during this evaluation process.

“(Kelly) has always been the same on you’ve gotta make decisions in the best interests of your family and think it’s in the best interests of your career, even though we don’t have a crystal ball on where things can take you,” Martin said. “He understands making decisions in the best interests of your family is what it’s always about.”

From an institutional fit, it’s a great hire by Miami,who will get a well-rounded coach with experience running his own program. It’s also a great move by Martin, putting him into a talent-rich football state and a school that’s been a great springboard for bigger things. (Don’t think for a minute Martin hasn’t considered this job as a resume builder for the next time the Notre Dame job opens up.)

Perhaps the best quote Sampson got from Martin says the most about the former Irish offensive coordinator, who has always expressed a great affinity for Notre Dame.

“It’s the one place in the world that I love more than any other place in the world in college athletics,” Martin told Irish Illustrated. “For me, that’s the hardest part by far. I love everything about the University and my time here.”

1. somebadhatharry - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Since we are in the subject of trolls…I really enjoy that they are typically too embarrassed of their own team to mention them (as in this case). More than likely his favorite team is even less “relevant” than he believes Notre Dame to be.

2. jem5b - Dec 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

PaulHarggis53; Notre Dame has always been relevant, and hopefully will continue to be relevant in college football, and all college athletics.
    Who else has a national network televising all their home games?
    Envy is one of the Capital Sins.

• italianirish - Dec 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I just took a quick look for Mr. Hargis. Here is a list of teams that are “relevant” (have made it to the BCS Championship game since the BCS era in 1998):

Tennessee
      Texas
      Florida
      Alabama
      Auburn
      Oregon
      Notre Dame

Here is a list of NCAA Football teams that are irrelevant (in current BCS rank order):

Missouri
      Oklahoma State
      Stanford
      South Carolina
      Baylor
      Michigan State
      Arizona State
      Clemson
      Northern Illinois (probably irrelevant)
      UCF
      Louisville
      Duke
      Wisconsin
      Georgia
      Fresno State
      Texas A&M

Highlighted irrelevant teams currently outside the top 25:

Ole Miss
      Nebraska
      Michigan
      Boise State
      Penn State

3. paulhargis53 - Dec 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I didn’t give up any arguments. I simply made more points that you dont have any answers too.

Your academic standards ARE tied into your recruiting. That you don’t see the correlation speaks volumes.

How do you not understand the “trolling” since it happens all the time? Its you’re arrogant, ignorant fanbase, stupid.
    People love to hate Notre Dame because of the fans.

I bring up the NC debacle, because your inept fanbase had them returning this year. I stated this was an 8-4 team prior to any games being played. I was called names and told to quit trolling etc.
    But no, you aren’t arrogant or anything.

if you guys get trolled so much, you’d think you’d just ignore it, talk about wasting your time!
    Step back and ask yourself why people troll you. Read what your fellow fans write, it rediculous.

You just want to have got little gathering and sit here and backslap and circle jerk.
    Notre Dame is irrelevant, TV contract or not.
    Get over it and yourselves already.

• irishdog80 - Dec 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Yay, paulhargis53 predicted that ND would go 8-4 and he was right! Yay! He’s a genius.

What did you predict last year? And don’t say “a blowout in the NC Game”. Man up and tell us what you predicted before the season. I guess last year you weren’t so smart.

The difference between 8-4 and 10+ wins for any team is a QB that can make plays. Look at the losses under Kelly’s regime. In nearly every case, ND got outplayed by a superior QB… in 2011 it was 4 future NFL QBs/players… Daniels, Robinson/playmaker, Barkley, Luck and Manuel. In 2012, with a dynamic playmaking QB at the helm that was still trying to learn on the job, Golson took ND to 12-0. Put Golson at the helm this year and ND is playing in a BCS game. Rees is a quality MAC QB at best and a future coach not a NC caliber QB.

Bama may have had one of the best offensive lines that college football will ever see last year with a RB that, when healthy, has torn up the NFL and a veteran QB that had plenty of time to pick apart any defense. Add in a host of future 1st rounders littered throughout the roster and you have the making of a rout against any team they would have faced last year. I laugh when Oregon fans say their team would have given Bama a better game. Yeah, right, the same Oregon team that can’t beat Stanford would suddenly get physical and play with Bama. Too funny. Ask Arizona about how tough Oregon is.

• fish95 - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I began reading your comment with such high hopes, Paul Hargis … but now … disappointment. It saddens me that we’re not able to communicate.

Your trolling has regressed. We’ve all heard the academic standards vs. recruiting stuff … I’m just waiting for you to provide some facts to support your point. Believe it or not, capitalizing the word “ARE” for emphasis does not constitute a fact … but I’m not here to talk about that, I’m here to talk about the quality of your trolling, Paul Hargis.

I enjoy this site … In particular, I enjoy the colorful commenters … but it has always bothered me that the trolls here are so boring. A good troll should be the villain you love to hate … the guy (or gal!) that really gets your blood going. I’m talking Joachim Phoenix in “Gladiator” You know what I’m saying, Paul Hargis?

The fact that you actually engaged, made me think that YOU could – with some coaching – become that guy, Paul Hargis … a “Troller’s Troll” … true BCS Troll Material… but with this last post I now see that I was mistaken about you (and for the second time today – imagine my despair).

You ask “How do you not understand the ‘trolling’ since it happens all the time?” . While it heartens me to see you begin to embrace your Trollitude, I am – at the same time – confused and hurt by the fact that you can’t see that I don’t want you to stop trolling – just the opposite, Paul Hargis. I want you to be a better, more interesting troll. One who no longer needs my constant coaching and encouragement.

I’m going to say something harsh now, Paul Hargis. But it’s for your own good. Your trolling is MAC level at best, probably more like Mountain West actually … and after this last post it is clear that you’re a low ceiling troll. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve wasted literally tens of minutes of my day to try and make you better – but I’m just not sure you have it in you. Paul Hargis.

You clearly love to hate ND, Paul Hargis. The least you could do in return is make us love to hate you … but I’m afraid you just don’t have it in you, do you?… for all our sakes, I hope you can prove me wrong … maybe then … one day I’ll tell you a little story about the greatest troll that ever was … he called himself “Traveller” and came from a school called Southern Cal … now that guy could troll … man I hated him …

ps. unfortunately, my office hours are limited tomorrow due to other commitments so I’m afraid I won’t be free to coach you as much as I might like … oh well, perhaps Keith will have a new post by then and give you the chance to put forth a better, more original effort.

• mediocrebob - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Paul-

1)Not one Irish fan on here had them returning to the national championship. Especially after the Golson suspension.

2)do you realize how many Irish fans called for an 8-4 season? A lot of the “fans” on here were calling for much worse than that. The optimistic Irish fans were calling for 10-2 and they didn’t miss by much. But I know that the only Irish game you watched all year was the Michigan game. So you wouldn’t know about how the season went. If you feel better about yourself thinking you’re the only one that called for 8-4, more power to ya.

3) notre dame was, is , and always will be relevant bc of people like you that just care too much about them.

• danirish - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM

“Notre Dame is irrelevant, TV contract or not.” The mere fact you posted this on a Notre Dame website and the fact you have been arguing for several posts proves your statement wrong.

You predicted 8-4 (so did I), so did a lot of other people, some predicted 6-6, some predicted 11-0, some changed their predictions every NBC story that came out. Some changed their predictions as the year went by. Your predictions are irrelevant.

Of course the fan base expects a return to the NC (which we played in last year, not bad for an irrelevant team), every fan base demands, wants, and prays for a national title.

If you think ND has arrogant fans then perhaps you need to travel the landscape of college football, perhaps you need a ticket to the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn, perhaps you may need to look into a mirror while hollering about people being arrogant.

GO (very relevant) IRISH!

4. ndgoldandblue - Dec 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

“…, it rediculous.” Yep, eenuff sed.

5. onward2victory - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Keith look what happens when you don’t post an article for a day! We digress to acting like bickering siblings.

6. paulhargis53 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM

On the contrary fish, I am an excellent “troll”. This thread turned into a defense of Notre Dame instead of talking about a coach leaving. Your long winded, superiority complexed(arrogance?) diatribes are proof of that. Here is a little hint for your dumb ass. You think you are shaming me, or “winning” this back and forth? 1. There is no winning. 2. I don’t care how dumb any of you dopes think I am or look. I don’t know any of you, nor would I want to. Flame away and take your backslaps from your fellow domers.

I accomplished what I set out to do here.
    I may be ” Mac or Mountain West ” level according to you, but you are Notre Dame level, which means that you are good for one season, fall flat on your face and them alternately cry or brag for the next 20 years. You and your fellow fans are loathsome people. I take simple pleasure in every ND defeat and coming here to see all the crying afterwards. You’re football fanbase IS the worst fanbase in college football.
    Ok fish, write me another novel, come on, dazzle me. Just know that all the while that I’m laughing at you.

Fish, you’re in a barrel.

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You think anyone cares what anyone thinks on here? You aren’t the first and only troll to come waste your time.

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Ahhh. He’s laughing at us fish! I wonder if his mom can hear him from the basement. Anyways, the irrelevance argument is won time and time again by guys like you Paul. You say this fan base “falls flat on their face”. I’m not really sure what that means. I can tell you that while maybe not predicted every year, the fan base wants a national championship every year. I’m not sure who your team is , which is one of my favorite troll qualities, but I find it hard to believe that that particular fan base doesn’t want one every year as well. Now you can call that arrogance. I call it being a fan.

I’d love to know who you support. That would make this end much quicker.

• fish95 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I agree, Paul Hargis … “There is no winning” … there is only the mission of making Paul Hargis a better troll … a mission at which I have failed spectacularly.

You broke my heart, Paul Hargis, You broke my heart.

7. paulhargis53 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Moms basement?! Ugh, really? I know you can do better than that, or can you? Next you’ll probably call me a Wal-Mart greeter.

I’m sorry your reading comprehension isn’t up to snuff. I obviously meant that the team is falling on its face, not the fanbase.

Again, I’m not here to “win” anything. Although, if one was keeping score, I’d have to say that I’ve succeded pretty well here.
    The difference between ND fans and the rest of college fans is this. Other fans are realistic about their teams chances, ND fans are not.
    You’re team is set up for failure to compete with the other major programs. That’s all been covered already and it just gets swept under the rug by you ND fans because it doesn’t fit your rose colored glasses scenario you set up for ND every damn year.
    Yes, they went to the NC game last year. Yes, they were exposed as a woefully inferior team. Yet, you were all squwaking
    about what great things were to come, failing to realize, like the rest of the nation does that, A. That ND had everything fall right for 1 year and B. that the talent level, especially at skill positions, is an enormous gulf from ND to other schools.

I get tired of listening to ND fans run their mouths, and I’m not talking about just online.
    Does it really matter that much who my team is? You just want to know so you can try to turn it around on my team.
    My team has a storied tradition. I am in no way envious of the ND program. Its the lodmouth, know nothing fans that I detest.

No, I don’t think I will tell you who my team is. Its bothering you so much that I’m enjoying that too.

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

See how easy it is to troll Paul. Got you all fired up. Anyone can do it. You just wrote a novel saying nothing. Just ranting bc you’ve been trolled.

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

And OSU still hasn’t played anyone Paul. I know you’re a buckeye. And buckeye nation epitomizes arrogance.

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

And I say that living in the heart of Columbus, OH

8. paulhargis53 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If I was such a horrible “troll”, you’d stop responding. You just can’t though.

Just keep typing the I’m trying to make you a better troll b.s. Its all you have, which is quite sad.

9. blackirish23 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

@ Paul Hargis:

There’s a very good difference in being good versus being relevant which most trolls fail to distinguish. Myself and many other ND fans on this site will readily acknowledge that we’ve had our share of poor teams over the past two decades, but Notre Dame has never stopped being relevant.

Case in point, if we can all agree that ESPN is the leader in sports coverage, in 2003, Penn State went a very quiet 3-9. Not a single mention on Sports Center. In 2008, Michigan went a very quiet 3-9, and yet again, not a single mention on Sports Center. In 2007, Notre Dame went a very loud 3-9, and we led every edition of Sports Center.

The difference between being good and being relevant is very simple.
    (A) – Being Good: You’re either good or you’re not, and Notre Dame has had it’s fair share of both.
    (B) – Being relevant: Whether you’re good or bad, people still talk about you and you remain a national conversation.

If you can’t get this very basic point, then everything else isn’t worth discussing.

Good luck with trying to convince yourself about the irrelevance of Notre Dame but your mere presence here proves otherwise, and ask yourself this…. or ask this audience, “how many of this site’s members go on to other teams’ websites, especially teams we don’t even play on our schedule?”

Now feel free to call me arrogant, but you made me that way by always talking about me:-)

As always,
    Go (always relevant) Irish!!!

• kapnd73 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM

That was stellar Bob – Good points!

10. paulhargis53 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Relevant TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PICTURE!!!!

What part of that don’t you get?! Ugh, its like talking to a wall with you people.

I could give a rats ass what other teams pages you go on.
    You’re fanbase IS detestable and people like to rub your faces in it.
    What part of THAT don’t you get?!

You guys, if you ignore me, I might go away. I doubt it, but you can try.

You won’t though, you have an incessant need to have the last word.

• danirish - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

You’re like that guy in “The Princess Bride,” you know – Vizzini. Any minute you’re going to yell “inconceivable!” and then call Greek philosophers morons.

Love it.

GO (Very relevant) Irish!

• mediocrebob - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Is by relevance to the national championship, they were there last year. If by relevant to the national championship this year, you’re spot on Paul. Rarely does a 8-4 team have relevance to the national championship.

• irishdog80 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I have always found that truly arrogant people are quick to call other people arrogant. paulhargis53, it is clear that you feel superior to ALL ND fans. And I bet you don’t think you are arrogant.

ar·ro·gant adjective \ˈer-ə-gənt, ˈa-rə-\
      : having or showing the insulting attitude of people who believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people : having or showing arrogance

paulhargis53 fits the definition perfectly. He believes that ALL Notre Dame fans are arrogant and holds himself and his rooting interests above ALL ND fans. Too funny. Thanks for the laughs.

11. paulhargis53 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Nearly 37 hours since my first post on this thread, and you turds are still talking about me. That’s too funny.

My work here is done. Maybe I will see you on another ND article..

Since I know some of you cannot help but respond, I’m going to go ahead and let you have the last words…its the least I can do.
    I’m embarassed for all of you.