Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
No deal is done, but multiple outlets are reporting that Miami (OH) will offer Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin its vacant head coaching position. Former Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell was fired after a 0-5 start, along with offensive coordinator John Klacik.
Martin has served as the Irish’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He came to Notre Dame after an impressive run as Grand Valley State’s head coach, where he went 74-7 with two national championships.
Two sources close to Notre Dame’s program told me they expected the deal to be completed as well.
Adding fuel to the fire is that a private jet is heading to South Bend, per every fans favorite tracking software, FlightAware. The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen provided the latest details:
We’ll save the speculation on what this means for the Irish coaching staff for later. But one of Brian Kelly’s key lieutenants appears to be leaving the nest (and who knows if Martin will bring other Irish staffers with him), the first of a core group that Kelly brought with him to South Bend.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12