Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
No deal is done, but multiple outlets are reporting that Miami (OH) will offer Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin its vacant head coaching position. Former Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell was fired after a 0-5 start, along with offensive coordinator John Klacik.
Martin has served as the Irish’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He came to Notre Dame after an impressive run as Grand Valley State’s head coach, where he went 74-7 with two national championships.
Two sources close to Notre Dame’s program told me they expected the deal to be completed as well.
Adding fuel to the fire is that a private jet is heading to South Bend, per every fans favorite tracking software, FlightAware. The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen provided the latest details:
We’ll save the speculation on what this means for the Irish coaching staff for later. But one of Brian Kelly’s key lieutenants appears to be leaving the nest (and who knows if Martin will bring other Irish staffers with him), the first of a core group that Kelly brought with him to South Bend.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 38
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64