Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
No deal is done, but multiple outlets are reporting that Miami (OH) will offer Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin its vacant head coaching position. Former Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell was fired after a 0-5 start, along with offensive coordinator John Klacik.
Martin has served as the Irish’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He came to Notre Dame after an impressive run as Grand Valley State’s head coach, where he went 74-7 with two national championships.
Two sources close to Notre Dame’s program told me they expected the deal to be completed as well.
Adding fuel to the fire is that a private jet is heading to South Bend, per every fans favorite tracking software, FlightAware. The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen provided the latest details:
We’ll save the speculation on what this means for the Irish coaching staff for later. But one of Brian Kelly’s key lieutenants appears to be leaving the nest (and who knows if Martin will bring other Irish staffers with him), the first of a core group that Kelly brought with him to South Bend.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 49
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172