Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job

Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT

Chuck Martin, Everett Golson AP

No deal is done, but multiple outlets are reporting that Miami (OH) will offer Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin its vacant head coaching position. Former Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell was fired after a 0-5 start, along with offensive coordinator John Klacik.

Martin has served as the Irish’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He came to Notre Dame after an impressive run as Grand Valley State’s head coach, where he went 74-7 with two national championships.

Two sources close to Notre Dame’s program told me they expected the deal to be completed as well.

Adding fuel to the fire is that a private jet is heading to South Bend, per every fans favorite tracking software, FlightAware. The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen provided the latest details:

We’ll save the speculation on what this means for the Irish coaching staff for later. But one of Brian Kelly’s key lieutenants appears to be leaving the nest (and who knows if Martin will bring other Irish staffers with him), the first of a core group that Kelly brought with him to South Bend.

1. whiskeystraight - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Good luck Chuck. Now BK can hire and OFFENSIVE coach to be his OC. Have to say I didn’t see this coming but I am pleasantly surprised.

• c4evr - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Kiffin is available…

2. ndrocks2 - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Chuck Martin head coach for Miami? It has a nice ring to it. I forget what was his strength? Recruiting? Offensive mastermind? No wait he was a NAIA head coach who took over when BK left the cupboards full of players when he left. Miami’s cupboard…not so full.

Coaches following him to Miami? Yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to leave ND for the last place team in the MAC and follow Martin down here. If they want that let them go.

This will easily be BK’s biggest hire, don’t promote one of your buddies from within go get some talent who can recruit as well. You have the talent on the field find a coach that knows what to do with it.

Harsh I know but since he’s been here I can’t think of many times where I thought glad we have Chuck Martin. Best of luck!!!

• nudeman - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don’t care how full the cupboards were at GVSU. They weren’t full for 7 years.
      74-7 is pretty impressive in my book.

I always liked this guy; when I’ve seen him interviewed he is impressive: Razor sharp, clean cut and exudes confidence and optimism. I’d think most parents like it when he comes into their living room.

Having said that, the play calling was ofteny highly questionable this year.
      Was it Martin calling 51 passes per game vs UM?
      Or all those long, low % throws against MSU on 3rd & short? Etc.
      Was it Martin abandoning the run game?
      Or was Kelly responsible?
      Or was it Rees checking into all those throws?

This will probably forever remain a mystery.

One thing I will say is this: For a guy who swore he wasn’t calling the plays this year, BK was doing a great imitation of a guy calling plays.

Talking furiously into headset with laminated game plan card held up to his face to defeat lip readers as ND huddled. Isn’t that what guys who call plays do?

Whatever. I wish Chuck well. Chicago Irish guy who gave ND his very best for 4 years.

• ndrocks2 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Of course BK is calling the game if you were him would you let Martin? BK will say all the right things about Martin but this move really lets BK off the hook. He would have had to make some tough decisions after the season if Martin was still here as OC.

• wisner74 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Thumbs up! As usual Nude, you are brilliant except when it comes to your reflexive over-reaction to Tommy Rees.

3. jmfinsd - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Not sorry to hear this. Never had a good feeling for Martin as OC. As for “and who knows if Martin will bring other Irish staffers with him,” no worries as long as it’s not Hiestand or Alford (and I seriously doubt either would leave ND for Miami (OH) for less than the HC job).

4. irishlee10 - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM

HELL YEAH GO REDHAWKS!! I’m excited now. My friend is the best spread quarter back on the team

5. ibleedirish - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Introducing your new OC: Mr Tony Alford. Just a hunch. You all know where the thumbs down button is, lol. I just think BK likes to promote from within, and limit outside personality conflicts, opinions etc. and I don’t blame him. I think we saw during the Weis years what hiring too many flashy names does for team chemistry. Add to it that at some point Alfords got to have a promotion coming, and we don’t want to lose his recruiting powers to another school.

• notredameirish1980 - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Probably a good call. Keep Tony happy and give him a chance at more responsibility. Use the freed up coaching spot for a dedicated special teams coach.

6. fnc111 - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

ndrocks,

Gain some knowledge before running your mouth. Chuck Martin coached GVSU, Division 2, not NAIA. Big difference. REALLY big difference. Kelly left GVSU in December of 2003. Chuck led Grand Valley to the national title game in 2009. You telling me he just lived off of Kelly?

I’ve interviewed him in the past and he is a class act. No doubt in my mind he’ll talk your socks off and rebuild Miami(OH).

• kansasirish - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Actually he won it in 05 &06 and finished runner up in 09……..just saying.

• ndrocks2 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

REALLY big difference between NAIA and D2? Really, please explain. There is a difference between D3 and D2, D3 is much closer to D1 in the way they run there programs. D2 and NAIA are very close and not nearly as regulated by scholarships, admittance standards, etc.

As an offensive coordinator he will not be missed, as a Chicago recruiter he has not been as effective as we needed.

Martin is very Presidential and very well may turn Miami around, he will get his chance, and he will have his hands full, Miami holds higher admission standards than most if not all of the MAC conference schools.

You are a fan in his abilities, I haven’t seen the results you have and I don’t respect his time at Grand Valley as much as you do. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he was a good representative for the school. I wish him well.

• mediocrebob - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

As someone who played D2 football, with friends who played D3 and D1, I can promise you that D3 and D1 programs are not run anything alike, and D2 programs are a large step up from NAIA. I only know this because my program went from NAIA to D2 about 5 years ago. We were one of the top NAIA programs around. However in my 5year and our first in D2, we were outmatched and beaten badly more often than not.

And so, in conclusion, division 2 football is a fairly big step up from NAIA. Take it from someone who had a rough 5th year and lived to tell about it (barely).

• wisner74 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

fnc: interviewed him for what? Is it published somewhere?

7. buckynd13 - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Here’s a vote for Jeff Quinn, Buffalo HC. Look what he has done there. He was w BK for 21 years as OC, at GVSU, CM, and Cincinnati. Must be heck of a recruiter to get kids to go to Buffalo to play! But will he want to go from HC to an OC position again?? Prob not..

• dudeacow - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yeah, Notre Dame OC leaves to be a MAC coach, but I’m not sure it works in reverse where a MAC coach leaves to be Notre Dame OC. But Quinn did produce a monster back in Brandon Oliver (1,395 yards in ’11 and 1,421 this year). Might deserve consideration.

• seagullsnest - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

BK has suffered without JQuinn. However he is under a 5yr contract now. Plus I’m almost sick of the “spread” offense…. doesn’t ever seem to win championships! Plus its becoming all to common and doesn’t carry the surprise element as much. As like Weis also difficult to “maintain 6 or 7 pieces consistently to have it work effectively!!
      I thought all along that this off season the #1 goal was an EXPERIENCED OC. Now Kelly has one last chance to get it right.

8. dudeacow - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Classy, sharp, energetic guy. He was loved by everyone in the program including me and will be missed. Bummed that he’s leaving, but I wish you luck at Miami of Ohio, Chuck.

Now don’t you dare take Alford or Heistand. In the famous words of Liam Neeson, I will find you. And I will kill you.

Now let’s see if Mark Helfrich misses being an offensive coordinator!

9. Ted Wheeler - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Would love to see ND make a run at Tee Martin for QB Coach/passing game coordinator.

• nudeman - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I say “pass” on anyone else named Tee.
      But only forever

10. seagullsnest - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

BK now has to hire an OC that can actually develop a game plan and who can understand the “weaknesses” of an opponent. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for 4 years is enough to drive most people nuts and get you fired. Now BK has one more shot to “give up” those duties to someone he can trust and let them be the “OC”!!! You can’t be ONE dimensional! You must understand the probability of success on any given play! And last IF YOU CAN’T GAIN 1 YARD ON 3RD AND ONE WITH A RUN PLAY – THEN YOU DON’T BELONG IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION PERIOD!

• mediocrebob - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM

LMFAO. you for real buddy? Of all the nonsense in this post , my personal favorite is when you say something about BK having “one last chance” to get it right. Either you’re name is Jack Swarbrick and you’ve been lying for a while or you’re another one of those that likes to think he knows a little more than he actually does.

• wisner74 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wow. Let’s fire BK and hire you as coach!

• mediocrebob - Dec 4, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Not sure I follow, Wisner. Care to elaborate? Please point out to me the last time I’ve second guessed this coaching staff or tried to act like I should be coaching. You post on here quite a bit. Should be easy…

(Crickets…)

11. mediocrebob - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Losing Chuck doesn’t kill the Irish I don’t think. Losing others from the staff could though. Of course, everyone worried when the coaches left for OSU a few years back ( Hinton and ? name slipped my mind) and from all accounts, the Irish upgraded.

12. fnc111 - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Hey KansasIrish,

Common sense not a big thing with you? I wrote that Chuck Martin led GVSU to the national title game in 2009. I never said he won the game. Read!!!!

My point was he did well with his own recruits. In 05 and 06 he won titles with basically Kelly’s recruits. The ability to comprehend is huge with me. I was showing ndrocks that Martin is a helluva coach on his own. Sheesh man.

13. ndfaithful - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

C’mon… start the obvious rumor… BK wanted Chuck out to make room for the new OC – Tommy Rees!

14. irish4006 - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Why don’t we hire the other Chuck, Chuck Weis as OC? We are still paying him millions, right? The last time I checked, he made more from ND than BK did.