Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl

Dec 7, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT

Tyler Eifert Army

Notre Dame has made it official. They’ll be heading to New York City for bowl season. The Irish accepted an invitation to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl today, both the New York Yankees and Notre Dame announced.

The game will take place on Saturday, December 28 at 12:15 p.m. ET. The Irish will take on a still unnamed team from the American Athletic Conference, likely Rutgers or Houston.

“We are thrilled to welcome Notre Dame and its student-athletes, alumni and devoted fan base back to New York City and Yankee Stadium to play in the 2013 New Era Pinstripe Bowl,” said Mark Holtzman, Executive Director of the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. “No two organizations in the history of American sport are more closely intertwined with such a rich and wonderful history as the New York Yankees and Notre Dame.”

Notre Dame released a quote from head coach Brian Kelly as well.

“Quite simply, we are thrilled to bring our football program to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl,” said Kelly in a statement. “We were privileged to play in New York City and Yankee Stadium in 2010. The treatment our University received from the Steinbrenner family, the New York Yankees and the entire organization was unlike anything we’ve experienced in my tenure at Notre Dame.”

The Pinstripe Bowl is the youngest of the 35 bowls being played, started in 2010. This will be the Irish’s 33rd postseason bowl in the school’s history, and the fourth straight for Brian Kelly’s Irish.

1. footballnut85 - Dec 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

This is embarrassing! Thrilled to be going to the Pinstripe Bowl BK??? Don’t bull—- the Notre Dame faithful! You should apologize for another lousy season! Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and you’re in a BCS Bowl!

• mtndguy - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

You’re a nut.

• mediocrebob - Dec 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM

You’re high. They could’ve run into defenses with 9 in the box all year. They’d probably have 2 more losses and a couple of them by blowouts. The only game he abandoned run is Pitt. Watch the games over again.

2. paulhargis53 - Dec 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I’m actually a Wyoming fan.Or am I ?

The Pinstripe bowl and you’re proud of it?

You can’t polish a turd. That’s what ND football is

• scottatnd - Dec 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I’m pretty sure you’re an Irish fan. Judging by the amount of attention you give them. It’s OK, a lot of people are frustrated with this season. You can come here and continue to vent.
      At least you’re not an Ohio State fan. They got exposed by a team we own.

• mediocrebob - Dec 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I’m actually Paul. Or am I? Silly buckeye…gets embarrassed by Sparty and has nothing better to do. Or does he?

3. 1historian - Dec 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I’m proud of this team – they played their guts out.

To those who have been dumping on TR all season – who else should be in there? Hendrix or Zaire – which one??? TR did his best. Granted it wasn’t all that good but HE +DID HIS BEST.

Given all the injuries during the season, and other factors, I don’t think we have seen this team play its best, and I would LOVE to see that happen on the 28th.

After the bowl – 244 days until kickoff 2014.

4. footballnut85 - Dec 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Tommy did the best he could with his ability. I have no issues with his effort. I have an issue with Kelly claiming to be an offensive genius. Anyone that watched this season knows how he abandoned the run too quickly. Dance with the one that brung ya and staying with the run would have been the key to reversing some of the losses – in my opinion.

5. btomy - Dec 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM

If your not in a BCS bowl, it really isn’t all that important which game you play in. From the games played this weekend, it looks like ND acquitted itself quite well against some of the top teams in the country.
    But it’s important to finish well.

6. danirish - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The only issue I have with this bowl is if we struggle or lose. If ND wins big or controls the game then it is great! Drinks on me (virtual, don’t spill), and yippee and good launch to the next season.

Take the Champs Bowl 2 years ago – ND and FSU, FSU won, look at them now.

My anger and despair will be if somehow Rutgers, a mighty 6-6 wins or even plays ND close. Then I have issues.

A blowout (31-10) will be fine. I take it as another chance to see them play. Heck I wish they had gotten into the bowl that is in Charlotte so I could go see them, but alas. One more game with Nix & Jones! Another game with Rees, but hopefully not a last game with Tuitt even though I think it will be the last – and we will get to watch it!

GO (relevant and Pinstripe bound) IRISH!

• dbldmr - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Actually, no Nix. He has already signed with an agent (and I don’t think he has recovered from the surgery in any event).

• danirish - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Darn! Oh well, hope he gets drafted by the Bears!

• mediocrebob - Dec 10, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I agree other than we were in the NC last year. But if the Irish don’t blow them out, this will be a fail IMO. (Barring they aren’t playing in a blizzard, which with their luck, is a great possibility knowing they could’ve gone to SD)