Rutgers coach Kyle Flood fires three assistants

Dec 8, 2013, 10:42 PM EST

Kyle Flood AP

A day after accepting a bid to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood fired three assistants. The second-year head coach fired defensive coordinator Dave Cohen, quarterbacks coach Rob Spence and offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski. Those changes go into effect immediately, meaning Flood will likely be short-handed in the Pinstripe Bowl.

“After reviewing the season, I felt it was in the best interest of our program to make these staff changes,” Flood said in a statement. “I appreciate all of the efforts of these coaches during their time in Piscataway and wish them well in their future endeavors.”

Flood made the changes the same day he received a vote of confidence from Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann, allowing Flood to take the program into the Big Ten next season.

“Our football program continues to evolve and grow, as evidenced by the changes Coach Flood just announced. I support these moves and Kyle’s leadership as we transition into the Big Ten,” Hermann said in the same statement. “In two seasons, Kyle has led us to our first share of the conference championship and has guided our program to two consecutive bowls, including this season’s highly anticipated New Era Pinstripe Bowl versus Notre Dame.”

Flood won nine games last season, though had lost five of six games before clinching bowl eligibility on Saturday with a win over USF. Flood talked about the timing of the moves.

“If we end up waiting until after the bowl game and sitting down with some people in the weeks following or in the new year, that will be fine, too,” Flood told the Star-Ledger. “I’ve already got a list at each position of people that we are looking at and we’ll start working through. We’ve already started the process of working through those names.”

Former Kansas State head coach Ron Prince will take on the duties of quarterback coach, in addition to coordinating the offense. Special teams coordinator Joe Rossi will serve as interim defensive coordinator.

1. danirish - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

This could be real good or real bad. I hope real bad.

GO IRISH!

2. paulhargis53 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Evidently they aren’t scared of a craptastc Irish team, and why would they be.

Rutgers in a laugher.

• redleg99999 - Dec 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I don’t post a lot. I am ND “66″. I want us to win and yes I gloat when we do but I do not denigrate and otherwise waste my time posting on other schools boards. I am proud of ND. We have standards, Standards that cost our QB this year.That’s why we are in the Pinstripe bowl. So paulhargis53 just go away and root for some semi pro team from the SEC. Stop trying to bait intelligent people.
      Notre Dame will beat the Scarlet Knights! A nice ending to an otherwise mediocre year. Big Lou has a degree. And it isn’t in playground management.
      I will shut up and say GO Irish now and forever. God Country,Notre dame

• irishdog80 - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Well said redleg.

Amazingly weak and laughable comment by paulhargis53 and ultimately sad. I feel bad for you Paul.

• irishdrg1 - Dec 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

you are a moron

3. paulhargis53 - Dec 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Uh oh. I think I pissed Grandpa off….

Why is it a weak comment?

My personal opinion is that Rutgers is the better team, by far.

4. irishlifer - Dec 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

To paulhargis53: I hope you bet a lot of money on the game.