Moshood Adeniji, Stephon Tuitt

Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make


As Notre Dame prepares for the Pinstripe Bowl, defensive end Stephon Tuitt is likely preparing to make his own big decision. The junior defensive end is eligible to enter the NFL Draft, and depending on what you hear from various experts in the media, Tuitt will likely be a first round pick whenever he decides to turn professional.

Of course, we’ve seen just how much influence the media has had in the 32 draft rooms. Guys like Matt Barkley and Manti Te’o have seen their “stock drop,” while guys like Bruce Irvin have come from nowhere to go in the first round. It’s all part of the NFL’s silly season, where analysts spend months debating while NFL teams evaluate college football’s talent pool.

Earlier this week, Brian Kelly talked about the decision Tuitt faces, and where the junior is in that process.

“All we’ve done is put in his paperwork to get an evaluation from the NFL,” Kelly said. “I’ve had some preliminary conversations about his academic work.  He still has some work to do academically.  We haven’t really delved into the depth of that yet.”

That exploration will likely come in the days following the Irish’s bowl game, a match-up that could feature a lot of Tuitt. After a slow start to the season, one Kelly attributed to an offseason hernia surgery that hindered Tuitt during the spring and summer, Tuitt played strong football during the season’s second half and has been the dominant, jumbo-sized, 3-4 defensive end that many expected.

Playing a ton of snaps for a 320-pound defensive lineman, Tuitt put together an impressive regular season stat-line of 45 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, and 6 sacks. While he didn’t match the explosive behind the line of scrimmage numbers he put up last season, he played well with a spotlight on him that just didn’t exist last season. (Take a look at Jadeveon Clowney’s numbers if you’re looking for a comparison.)

Tuitt won’t be the pass rusher that Clowney will be, an explosive defensive end that still projects to be among the top three picks in the draft. But six-foot-six, 320-pound defensive ends don’t grow on trees, and Tuitt’s size, skill-set and athleticism make him one of the elite defensive talents available to NFL teams, especially with his ability to play in both three and four down sets.

The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen talked with’s Scott Wright, who is already well into his research for a draft that’s still 147 days away. He talked about the somewhat tricky situation Tuitt finds himself in, as teams look at the edge players behind Clowney.

“Tuitt’s in kind of a tricky situation. Clowney is projected to be the first defensive end taken, somewhere in the top three picks overall. Then there’s a gap. Who is the next defensive end who comes off the board?” Wright told Hansen.

“If Tuitt isn’t the favorite, he’s certainly in the conversation. And some of the other contenders for that spot — Stanford’s Trent Murphy and Clemson’s Vic Beasley — may end up playing outside linebacker. Tuitt is a true defensive end who can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Sure, he could go back for his senior season and be a top 5, 10 guy next year. But he may already be in a position to be in the top 10 this year, just based on need and who’s available.”

While “stay or go” might be the question that’s asked of Tuitt the most these next few weeks, Kelly has been consistent on his message to players who have been in similar situations.

“I personally think you come to Notre Dame, you want to get your degree,” Kelly said Sunday. “That wouldn’t just be for Stephon Tuitt, I think it would be for everybody.”

Kelly is well practiced at this point, guiding Kyle Rudolph, Michael Floyd, Harrison Smith, Manti Te’o and Tyler Eifert through the decision. It hasn’t all been advice that brings the players back to South Bend either, with Rudolph, Eifert and Louis Nix having an unused year of eligibility when they went to the next level.

Still, the remaining constant in all of this was a college degree. That seemed immensely important to the families of Irish players saddled with a wonderful problem to have, and was a priority for Tuitt and his mother, Gwinnett County sheriff’s deputy Tamara Bartlett.

Bartlett’s stance on Tuitt’s professional career has been interesting to track. Early in his sophomore season, she was adamant on her son earning a degree. Late this summer, when preseason hype was at its highest, multiple outlets reported that she was doing her due diligence on agents. After Tuitt told The Observer that he planned on returning to school, his mother did her best to control the chaos, telling the Chicago Tribune, “Stephon has not decided what he is going to do. What he meant to say was that school is the focal point and he will get his degree from ND.”

Expect Brian Kelly and his defensive staff to re-recruit Tuitt all over again. Following a playbook that allowed Michael Floyd to get his degree and still be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, Kelly will lay out for Tuitt what the staff can help him improve, and how that can push the hulking defensive end higher in the draft, while also giving him the certainty that a Notre Dame degree provides. 

If you were to follow the bread crumbs, there is optimism inside the Gug that Tuitt will return for his senior season. He stated as much in mid-October, though tried his best to put the toothpaste back in the tube after the news broke. Irish Illustrated also reported last week that any correspondence with potential agents between Tuitt’s family or intermediaries has gone cold, probably the most telling sign.

There’s nothing wrong with Tuitt saying goodbye to Notre Dame now, moving to the NFL and being able to provide for his family immediately. He can always return to South Bend and pick up his degree later, like Jimmy Clausen did a few years ago.

But with Everett Golson already looking like a five-star recruit, Kelly has the opportunity to welcome back his star defensive end, a six-star prospect if there ever was one.




Go for two or not? Both sides of the highly-debated topic

during their game at Clemson Memorial Stadium on October 3, 2015 in Clemson, South Carolina.

Notre Dame’s two failed two-point conversion tries against Clemson have been the source of much debate in the aftermath of the Irish’s 24-22 loss to the Tigers. Brian Kelly’s decision to go for two with just over 14 minutes left in the game forced the Irish into another two-point conversion attempt with just seconds left in regulation, with DeShone Kizer falling short as he attempted to push the game into overtime.

Was Kelly’s decision to go for two the right one at the beginning of the fourth quarter? That depends.

Take away the result—a pass that flew through the fingers of a wide open Corey Robinson. Had the Irish kicked their extra point, Justin Yoon would’ve trotted onto the field with a chance to send the game into overtime. (Then again, had Robinson caught the pass, Notre Dame would’ve been kicking for the win in the final seconds…)

This is the second time a two-point conversion decision has opened Kelly up to second guessing in the past eight games. Last last season, Kelly’s decision to go for two in the fourth-quarter with an 11-point lead against Northwestern, came back to bite the Irish and helped the Wildcats stun Notre Dame in overtime.

That choice was likely fueled by struggles in the kicking game, heightened by Kyle Brindza’s blocked extra-point attempt in the first half, a kick returned by Northwestern that turned a 14-7 game into a 13-9 lead. With a fourth-quarter, 11-point lead, the Irish failed to convert their two-point attempt that would’ve stretched their lead to 13 points. After Northwestern converted their own two-point play, they made a game-tying field goal after Cam McDaniel fumbled the ball as the Irish were running out the clock. Had the Irish gone for (and converted) a PAT, the Wildcats would’ve needed to score a touchdown.

Moving back to Saturday night, Kelly’s decision needs to be put into context. After being held to just three points for the first 45 minutes of the game, C.J. Prosise broke a long catch and run for a touchdown in the opening minute of the fourth quarter. Clemson would be doing their best to kill the clock. Notre Dame’s first touchdown of the game brought the score within 12 points when Kelly decided to try and push the score within 10—likely remembering the very way Northwestern forced overtime.

After the game, Kelly said it was the right decision, citing his two-point conversion card and the time left in the game. On his Sunday afternoon teleconference, he said the same, giving a bit more rationale for his decision.

“We were down and we got the chance to put that game into a two-score with a field goal. I don’t chase the points until the fourth quarter, and our mathematical chart, which I have on the sideline with me and we have a senior adviser who concurred with me, and we said go for two. It says on our chart to go for two.

“We usually don’t use the chart until the fourth quarter because, again, we don’t chase the points. We went for two to make it a 10-point game. So we felt we had the wind with us so we would have to score a touchdown and a field goal because we felt like we probably only had three more possessions.

“The way they were running the clock, we’d probably get three possessions maximum and we’re going to have to score in two out of the three. So it was the smart decision to make, it was the right one to make. Obviously, you know, if we catch the two-point conversion, which was wide open, then we just kick the extra point and we’ve got a different outcome.”

That logic and rationale is why I had no problem with the decision when it happened in real time. But not everybody agrees.

Perhaps the strongest rebuke of the decision came from Irish Illustrated’s Tim Prister, who had this to say about the decision in his (somewhat appropriately-titled) weekly Point After column:

Hire another analyst or at least assign someone to the task of deciphering the Beautiful Mind-level math problem that seems to be vexing the Notre Dame brain-trust when a dweeb with half-inch thick glasses and a pocket protector full of pens could tell you that in the game of football, you can’t chase points before it is time… (moving ahead)

…The more astonishing thing is that no one in the ever-growing football organization that now adds analysts and advisors on a regular basis will offer the much-needed advice. Making such decisions in the heat of battle is not easy. What one thinks of in front of the TV or in a press box does not come as clearly when you’re the one pulling the trigger for millions to digest.

And yet with this ever-expanding entourage, Notre Dame still does not have anyone who can scream through the headphones to the head coach, “Coach, don’t go for two!”

If someone, anyone within the organization had the common sense and then the courage to do so, the Irish wouldn’t have lost every game in November of 2014 and would have had a chance to win in overtime against Clemson Saturday night.

My biggest gripe about the decision was the indecision that came along with the choice. Scoring on a big-play tends to stress your team as special teams players shuffle onto the field and the offense comes off. But Notre Dame’s use of a timeout was a painful one, and certainly should’ve been spared considering the replay review that gave Notre Dame’s coaching staff more time to make a decision.

For what it’s worth, Kelly’s decision was probably similar to the one many head coaches would make. And it stems from the original two-point conversion chart that Dick Vermeil developed back in the 1970s.

The original chart didn’t account for success rate or time left in the game. As Kelly mentioned before, Notre Dame uses one once it’s the fourth quarter.

It’s a debate that won’t end any time soon. And certainly one that will have hindsight on the side of the “kick the football” argument.



Navy, Notre Dame will display mutual respect with uniforms

Keenan Reynolds, Isaac Rochell

The storied and important history of Notre Dame and Navy’s long-running rivalry will be on display this weekend, with the undefeated Midshipmen coming to South Bend this weekend.

On NBCSN, a half-hour documentary presentation will take a closer look, with “Onward Notre Dame: Mutual Respect” talking about everything from Notre Dame’s 43-year winning streak, to Navy’s revival, triggered by their victory in 2007. The episode will also talk about the rivalries ties to World War II, and how the Navy helped keep Notre Dame alive during wartime.

You can catch it on tonight at 6:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN or online in the same viewing window.

On the field, perhaps an even more unique gesture of respect is planned. With Under Armour the apparel partner for both Notre Dame and Navy, both teams will take the field wearing the same cleats, gloves and baselayers. Each team’s coaching staff will also be outfitted in the same sideline gear.

More from Monday’s press release:

For the first time in college football, two opponents take the field with the exact same Under Armour baselayer, gloves and cleats to pay homage to the storied history and brotherhood between their two schools. The baselayer features both Universities’ alma maters on the sleeves and glove palms with the words “respect, honor, tradition” as a reminder of their connection to each other. Both sidelines and coaches also will wear the same sideline gear as a sign of mutual admiration.​

Navy and Notre Dame will meet for the 89th time on Saturday, a rivalry that dates back to 1927. After the Midshipmen won three of four games starting in 2007, Notre Dame hopes to extend their current winning streak to five games on Saturday.

Here’s an early look at some of the gear: