Irish add commitment from ILB Nile Sykes

Dec 15, 2013, 2:08 PM EST

Instagram Instagram

Notre Dame’s annual award show netted more than a few trophies. The Irish football team walked away with a commitment from inside linebacker prospect Nile Sykes. Multiple outlets are reporting that the Chicagoland recruit, who was on his official visit this weekend, gave the Irish a key player at a position of need.

Sykes was just named first-team All-State by the Chicago Tribune. The 6-foot-2, 230-pound linebacker also had offers from Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, South Florida and a handful of other Midwestern programs.

The Irish offered Sykes midway through November, and looked to be in line to pick up a commitment, but when both Chuck Martin and Bob Diaco departed, Sykes lost both his main recruiter and position coach.

Sykes took an official visit to Syracuse last weekend and came to South Bend for the team’s banquet, joined by a large group of recruits. Even with the changes on the Irish coaching staff, Sykes’ comments to 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong ($) gave you an idea that Sykes wasn’t going to be dissuaded by some assistant turnover.

“It’s just an amazing opportunity to play at a school like Notre Dame,” Sykes told 247Sports prior to his visit. “It’s an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.”

Sykes is the 20th member of the 2014 Irish recruiting class.

***

1. dickasman - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I hope he doesn’t “syke” us out. WTH? Missouri? Illinois? I wouldn’t even mention that Keith. It’s embarrassing!!!

• danfree5 - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Yeah! Missouri? We shouldn’t be recruiting the same kids as the winners of the SEC East! (Sarcasm)

2. dickasman - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Keith, just lie and say USC, Stanford, Alabama, would ya? Would it kill ya? Jesus Christ truth hurts.

3. dudeacow - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You all know me as the guy whose comment about Jhonny Williams you disliked. You probably expect me to say something similar about Nile. But no! I actually like Nile more than Nyles Morgan. This guy is crazy athletic, a dominant tackler, and has a much higher ceiling than Fox or Calabrese ever had. I’ve been awaiting this commitment for a long time. Now we have about six more spots left in the class, so lets hope the staff goes hard after Matt Elam, Tyler Luatua, Dalton Schultz, Michiah Quick, Charles Nelson, JuJu Smith, Braden Smith, and (please) Jabrill Peppers. This may end up being Kelly’s best class ever.

• onward2victory - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If we get all those guys you mentioned, then yes it would be the best class ever. But that’s totally unrealistic. I’ll be stoked to get one of them, and ecstatic to get two.

4. newmexicoirish - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

There is quite a descrepancy on Sykes’ size between The South Bend Tribune, who has him listed at 6′ 1″, 219 and Blue and Gold Illustrated who has him listed at 6′ 2″, 223. Either way, we desperately need good linebackers.

Now if we can pick up Matt Elam, JuJu Smith, Thomas Holley, and Nyles Morgan, the defensive side of the ball will be strong and deep into the foreseeable future!

Go Irish!

• dillonbigred - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

An inch and four pounds is quite a discrepancy?

• dickasman - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

That’s what your wife said

• dillonbigred - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Damn, Dick, I sure set you up there! Funny.

5. paulhargis53 - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM

As Austin Powers would say “Whoop de doo Basil”
    He’s not a difference maker.

6. gmenfan1982 - Dec 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I like what I see but hold up buddy! No.9 is already taken by the Freak, Jaylon Smith

7. mediocrebob - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Hey, I like going to websites to tell people how overrated an 18 year old is without seeing him play.

Always a pleasure, Paul.

8. hotlantalaw - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Welcome !

9. mediocrebob - Dec 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I wonder if Luatua is considered a “difference maker”?

10. 1historian - Dec 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I count 21 committed to this freshman class. Given the imminent departures of Hendrix and the tight end whose name I can’t remember back to Ohio, how many more schollies do we have?