Irish add linebacker Nyles Morgan to recruiting class

Jan 4, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

Nyles MorganAAA AP

Notre Dame received a key recruiting pledge when inside linebacker Nyles Morgan committed to the Irish during the US Army All-American Bowl Saturday afternoon. The Chicagoland product is an elite, four-star player anchoring a position group that the Irish coaching staff targeted this cycle.

Morgan chose the Irish over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, a hard fought recruiting victory for a player that for a long time looked headed elsewhere. The consensus top five inside linebacker in the country should step onto campus and fight for a starting job.

“They do need a mike linebacker, so I’m going to come in and fill that role,” Morgan said live on NBC during his announcement.

Starring at Crete-Monee, Morgan was a first-team All-State player. He’s joined on the Chicago Tribune’s All-State first team by fellow linebacker Nile Sykes of Montini and Nic Weishar of Marist. Weishar was playing alongside Morgan on the West squad.

Notre Dame pushes their recruiting class to 23 official members with Morgan’s commitment, though Isaiah McKenzie could make that 24 as soon as he clears up some final academic work.

With the Irish roster turning over Carlo Calabrese, Dan Fox, Prince Shembo and Danny Spond, all linebackers with starting experience, it was crucial to fill those holes in this recruiting class. After a slow start, the Irish will bring in Greer Martini, Morgan, Sykes, and Richard Yeargin, not to mention combination edge players like Jonathan Bonner, Andrew Trumbetti and Jhonathan Williams.

National Signing Day is February 5.

***

1. mediocrebob - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Golden Tate and Stephon Tuitt aren’t Notre Dame guys bc they leave early? Hmmm. That’s funny.

They’re much more Notre Dame than you are.

2. ajw21 - Jan 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

First off: I thinks FNC is as bad as most on here and disagree with Tuitt not being RKG. I kinda have to agree about Tate. I loved him when he was at ND but seems like a show off/prima dona with his antics & comments. I don’t know maybe he hangs out with Carrol too much but lost a lot of respect for him since he went to the NFL.
    On the other hand, you have to feel bad for the guys who went to ND and their best season was 7 wins.
    Go Irish!

3. shaunodame - Jan 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM

ShaunO’s Projected 2014 D-Line Depth Chart

3 man:
    LDE: 1) Rochell 2) Hounshell 3) Trumbetti
    RDE: 1) Day 2) Matuska 3) Hayes
    NT: 1) Jones 2) Springmann

4 man:
    LDE: Rochell
    DT: Day
    NT: Jones
    RDE: Williams

4. bradwins - Jan 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM

You didn’t mention Kolin Hill, who I think has sneaky upside and am pretty excited about in the long-term.

• dsharp86 - Jan 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Hill is a LB recruit, not D-Line, but yes, I agree he is someone to watch.

• bradwins - Mar 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Ummm….yes, Hill is a LB recruit, but I have no idea what that has to do with my comment. Keith mentioned all of the other LB recruits (“Greer Martini, Morgan, Sykes, and Richard Yeargin”), but not Hill. My point was that he forgot Hill. And the article was about a LB commitment, so not sure why you would have thought I was confused about which position Hill plays.