Dickerson flips commitment from Notre Dame to UCLA

Jan 9, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

Scout.com Scout.com

Long time Notre Dame commitment Matt Dickerson has flipped his commitment from Notre Dame to UCLA. 247Sports.com is reporting that the Northern California prospect has decided to stay in-state and play for the Bruins instead of play along the defensive line for the Irish.

Dickerson missed this season after a lower back fracture kept him off the field this season. The Irish stuck with the four-star prospect, honoring their offer to the 6-foot-4, 265-pounder. But in a case similar to that of Eddie Vanderdoes, the Bruins kept after Dickerson, with defensive line coach Angus McClure leading the charge, and flipped a key recruit with a little less than a month to go until Signing Day.

Dickerson planned to take an official visit to South Bend still this month. There’s no word yet if that’s still the plan. While the switch seems to be a surprise, especially with area recruiter Mike Denbrock in constant communication with Dickerson and his family, MaxPreps.com cleared up some of Dickerson’s rationale, and his decision to stay home was in part to make things easier on his parents.

Three weeks ago Dickerson’s father Clarence was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His mother Pam is also largely disabled. After long, careful deliberations between family and friends, Dickerson felt it was the right thing to stay closer to home.

“Calling (Denbrook) was a really, really hard thing to do, but it was the right thing,” Dickerson said. “I looked so forward to playing for the Irish. But I’m doing what’s best for my family and I. I need to stay close to home.

“It’s so hard because they stayed so loyal. They stuck with me through the injury. I love that guy (Denbrook). But it’s my decision. My life. It’s hard.”

While there are rumblings that good news is coming with long-time recruit Isaiah McKenzie, the loss of Dickerson as a potential nose guard in this recruiting class would likely add a hole that needs filling before Signing Day.

1. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Yep, doofus. You broke you non response streak. It was a matter of time.

What a felcher you are.

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

When you grow up, you want to be just like you!

2. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

danirish: Please turn in your humor card as you exit. It was obviously issued to you by mistake. Those are some of the most painfully inept attempts at being funny that I have had the sorry pleasure to read.
    Your best bet is just read the articles and comments. If you get the urge to respond again….resist it.

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Sorry, didn’t realize you were the authority, I guess I need to become more prolific at being stupid like you!

I’m kidding with you! Your comments are hilarious as they are silly and rather goofy. I want you to stay and troll and troll and troll.

You’re like that madass’d aunt that sits in the room at family gatherings, gets drunk and cusses people out.

You are very entertaining at your attempts so please stay. I will give you a big “congrats” of all the sports and politics comment sections, you are the best!

The thing that is most funny is the power you think you have!

3. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I don’t think I have any power. I just know not funny when I see it.

I don’t need to be drunk to cuss people out either.

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Benny Hill theme?

Maybe banjo music….

4. yllibnosredna - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

@papadec,

I’m well aware of the fact that the thumbs ups are meant to laud the kid on the decision to put family first. Was just deliberately choosing to interpret the thumbs up responses literally as an attempt at some dark sarcastic humor…Didn’t work obviously. I’ll have to eat that one.

Anyways, I agree. Apparently, the poor kid is in a tough predicament and did what he thought was best for his family. His quandary is an infinitely more significant situation than the problem of our defensive line depth next year. However, some people seem skeptical that family illness is the “real”reason he’s pulling away from South Bend.

Coffey at ND Nation offers a strong account of the courage and filial devotion this kid is displaying:

In short, this is not Eddie Vanderdoes Part II.

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM

It is not the kid it is UCLA that adds the intrigue. If he were going anywhere else to be with family, which of course is admirable, then I don’t think this would be a big deal, but UCLA

5. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Getsnone: How dumb are you to keep reading what I write if it bores you so much? You see my name….keep scrolling down. Its fairly simple. But then again, those zzzzzz’s are the height of humor, aren’t they? Uff.

Danirish: Really? You have to be about the most unfunny person on the planet.
    You have the comedic timing of diarrhea in the bottom of the 9th inning.

As I’ve said, I’m embarassed for you.

• getsome99 - Jan 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Lol. Defensive little troll.

Cheer up, though. I actually scroll looking for you hoping you’ve come up with something new and inspiring.

Disappointed.

6. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

They are FROM California, you dope. Not everyone thinks that Notre Dame is the big deal that all you homers do. If I was a college kid and had the choice of ND in Armpit Indiana or UCLA. in Los Angeles, damn right I’d be in Sothern California, its no contest. Get over yourselves.

7. heismanti5 - Jan 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Vanderdoes and Anzalone misses will be glaring this year.