Davaris Daniels confirms semester suspension (UPDATED)

Jan 9, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT

DaVaris Daniels, Ricardo Allen AP

Davaris Daniels’ future with the Notre Dame football program appears cloudy. Two sources close to the situation expect Daniels to be suspended for the spring semester for an academic issue, with a statement from the family likely coming later this afternoon.

Daniels should be eligible to compete next season, though what’s next is still undecided. The junior receiver caught 49 passes for 745 yards and seven touchdowns this season and is expected to enter the 2014 season as the team’s No. 1 receiver.

Daniels situation is different than the one that exiled Everett Golson from the university for the fall semester, and isn’t an Honor Code situation. While there was no comment from the football program or the Daniels family, one source tells me that Daniels and his family are exploring all options, including declaring early for the NFL Draft.

UPDATE: Daniels has confirmed the suspension, while also acknowledging he’ll be returning to Notre Dame for the summer semester. He released the following statement to Matt Fortuna of ESPN:

“I understand that attending the University of Notre Dame is a privilege and with that comes a certain level of academic responsibility,” Daniels told ESPN. “Therefore, I will not be attending Notre Dame in the Spring semester but fully expect to re-enroll in the Summer semester to earn my degree and continue playing football for the Irish!”

1. dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED FOR OBVIOUS REASONS

• irishxicano - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I’m sickened by your thoughts, and yet you still troll these boards freely. It’s takes longer for some for the light to go on. That’s life.

• irishxicano - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

*It takes

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Do me a favor and go back to Mexico, legally, please.

2. idratherbeinsouthbend - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dickassman in real life….

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Ouch. You really know how to hurt someone on the internet don’t ya?

3. irishlee10 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

We need davarius Daniels next season badly. Wow he had a good chance to improve his draft stock drastically

• mtndguy - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Nothing has changed in that regard. He will still be playing football come fall.

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM

We don’t NEED anybody other than Jesus. Guys a moron. We need more morons around the campus?

4. newmexicoirish - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

We’re pretty well stocked at safety – I wonder if JuJu would be interested in playing on the other side of the ball?

• newmexicoirish - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I got a lot of thumbs down here – which is fine – but all I am saying is I think we have seen the last of Davaris Daniels. I hate to say that, I would love to see him come back, we could sure use him, but I think he’s gone. If that is the case, I wonder if a pitch could be made to JuJu Smith about playing wide receiver.

• papadec - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:18 PM

He said that he would be back for the Summer – I’ll take him at his word until he says otherwise. It looks like it was a family decision, to return for his degree.

5. dudeacow - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM

At least he’s smart about when to be dumb.

6. NotreDan - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

*sigh*

7. machine64red2 - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM

How many more scholarships do we have available

8. alsatiannd - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM

OK, third time in four semesters. What’s the big picture on this? New standard or rule? Some sort uncovered culture of cheating? Golson all by itself, we’ll things happen, but this is starting to look like a system wide failure of some sort. If not yet, how many more until we’re forced to acknowledge some systemic problem..

9. Keith Arnold - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

This isn’t a cheating situation.

• ndirish10 - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Keith,

alsatiannd must have missed the whole, “Daniels situation is different than the one that exiled Everett Golson from the university for the fall semester, and isn’t an Honor Code situation” sentence.

• ndirish10 - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

By the way Keith, I believe dickasman has really, I mean really, fallen off the wagon this time around…

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM

__________________________________________________FAT LINE
        ***SNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRTTTTTTTTT***

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Nd irish, you’re right. I’m sick of this garbage aren’t you?

• papadec - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM

dick – you were doing so well there, for awhile. Maybe, like DD, you can pick yourself up, cleanup your act, & start all over again. Kids make mistakes, he acknowledged his mistake, and he’s paying the price. The demands of being a student/athlete are tough. Unlike some other members of the team that are just packing it in, and heading for the nfl, early, when they were disciplined.

10. yllibnosredna - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM

And so begins another splendid off-season rife with themes suitable for a Darren Aranofsky screenplay. Seriously, we should all do ourselves a favor and just tune out ND Football until August 30th.

I think Jack Swarbrick might be the best A.D. in the country right now, but the following statement illustrates how deluded he (along with many of us) has been to think that this is true:

“I became convinced there weren’t any insurmountable hurdles, institutional hurdles, something in our approach or our system that made it so we could never be this successful again…I knew it could be done.”

By “this successful” he was referring to ND capping off a 12 win season and locking a spot in the title game–a game which although ND deserved and earned, clearly did not belong.

Losing D. Daniels for a semester and possibly for good is not in of itself a program killer, but his departure is emblematic of the reality that ND–due to its standards–will almost certainly never be able to consistently keep up with the schools who play by a different set of rules…Not gonna happen.

The aspiration that ND makes to be the best (not second best or very good) on the field and in the classroom is admirable, but obtaining it is illusory and a failure to acknowledge the reality that the goals, in the current culture of CFB, are sadly mutually exclusive.

• 1historian - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Got to agree.

BUT – What do you really expect Swarbrick to say? Toward the end of the regular season in 2012 there was a point at which Notre Dame was #1 in the nation in both football and student-athlete graduation rate. That had never happened before and probably will never again and if it does happen it will undoubtedly be Notre Dame again.

11. wabashguy - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

This is part and parcel of rooting for a program that pays more than just lip service to academics. Relax—and show some conviction.

12. fnc111 - Jan 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I always miss the good dick posts.

I don’t expect Kelly to be around much longer. He wants to be in the NFL.

• Stethoscope Nunchucks - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I heard he’s going to be the next coach at UCLA.

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Hey babe, waves helllllooooo

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I heard from an ex-ND coach (Urban Mayer) that Kelly is going to host a quarterback camp

13. yllibnosredna - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Completely understand and commend the fact that ND (along with Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, etc.) actually demands that academics remain a priority but to think that does not compromise the quality and quantity of athletes necessary to win championships is a delusion that many of us (myself included) have held onto for far too long. Perhaps in basketball where the numbers are way more in your favor the elite academic schools can do it, but in CFB, it’s not gonna happen.

As a kid growing up in the late 80′s, I remember pulling for ND not only because I had family ties, but because they were the best. And you took a lot of pride in knowing your team was the best. I’ve never yielded in my allegiance to the school, the football program, and its standards, but those days are gone and with ND’s intrinsic hurdles, they’re not coming back. The reality is EVEN WITH the best A.D. and one of the best coaches in all of CFB, the realization of our most optimistic hopes will still have us looking upwards at another football program who wears the crown that we have coveted for the past 2 1/2 decades and will continue to covet in vain for the foreseeable future.

Love em, will always root for them, and wouldn’t want to see the integrity of the school and program compromised in any way. But once again, if so many other schools want to play by different standards (where key players don’t get booted for academics or even criminal activity and where blue-chip recruits integral to the program’s success don’t defect at an alarmingly high rate b/c their school asks for so much than excellence on the football field), than as a fan, I’ve got to be willing to accept that ND isn’t on a level playing field, and consequently, will never once again reach the zenith of CFB. I’ve got to find a way to be okay with that–to be okay with second best.

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Stanford is at least smart enough to create a dummy degree programs for athletes. We need to do the same

• papadec - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM

ylib – how level was the playing field David was on when he knocked off Goliath? 2012 showed that ND can get there – and they will get there again, and sooner or later, they will prevail. It will be that much sweeter when they do.

14. rpbags - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Great…..how hard is it to go to school and play football? You have every advantage and more then any other student could ever want and still this is happening, just had for me to understand i guess. Just my opinion as a fan of course….Let’s go Irish 2014!

• dickasman - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Exactly what I said but I am crazy and fallen off da wagon.

15. nd4life - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

If this is an academic issue, but isn’t a cheating situation, what is the implication? I’m assuming if grades were the issue, it wouldn’t be so hush-hush? Someone is going to need to spell it out to me.

• papadec - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Privacy issues regarding the student mean that it won’t be spelled out – unless DD wishes to do so.

• nd4life - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

It just seemed by Keith’s comments, that if he knew for certain that it WASN’T cheating, that he probably knew what it was. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, unless Keith is able to shed some light on things.

• Keith Arnold - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Why would you assume grades AREN’T the issue. That’s about the only assumption you can make.

There are student privacy rights galore on this, but “a certain level of academic responsibility” is about the closing thing to saying GPA as you can say without saying it.

• nd4life - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Thanks Keith. I guess I just assumed that if it were as straight forward as grades, it would have been leaked out.

• 1historian - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Not to mention that it’s none of our damn business.

• alsatiannd - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Thank you. The problem with speaking in code is that not everyone has a code book. All this “explanation” in the form of opaque gibberish leaves me extremely skeptical that something else isn’t going on. If it were one player, OK, but since it’s a series of players rolled out one at a time it smells funny. Who’s going to be suspended for a semester in the fall?

16. paulhargis53 - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM

ND should lignin an application to join the SEC. Looks like the “lilly white” standards have been lowered in South Bend.

Next thing you know, we will hear ND players receive impermissible benefits(they do).

Underclassmen jumping to the NFL, like rats off a sinking ship, academic issues with star players…..just keeps getting better and better. Looks to be another 4-5 loss season for the Irish next year..

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Nope. The difference between Notre Dame and SEC schools is we suspend our players when they act like dumbasses. Like this player here.

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Ok, you make little sense. The standards have been lowered? Is that why he was suspended for grades?

Prove they receive impermissible benefits…waiting

Underclassmen jumping to the NFL means ND is actually creating good players, it is like when a team’s asst. coors take promotion jobs to other program. While this sucks for fans and maybe the team, integrity is intact and the health of the program is good.

By the way, who do you pull for? TSU?

GO IRISH!

• 1historian - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Your remark “ND players receive impermissible benefits”

Who what when where please, and your source would be appreciated.

(Methinks that might be asking too much)

17. irish46327 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM

More bad news. Troy Niklas declared for the NFL.

I’m a long time reader and first time poster here. It use to be one would go to Notre Dame to play all four years and graduate. But now like every other program these kids leave after two years. It’s nothing about money now in sports. I just wish they’d stay to the end and graduate.

yllibnosredna, I do have to agree with what you are saying. I vaguely remember 1988. Vividly remember 1993. That was when Notre Dame was Notre Dame. Do I want them to win it all, heck yes. ND on top is good for college football. Is it highly likely in this new era of college football that ND can win it all, unfortunately at this time I don’t think so.

18. viktory2013 - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM

These kids are really disillusioning. They’ve become businessmen and semi pros instead of the archaic concept of student athletes. If they aren’t interested in an education and a degree, then go to Alabama or USC where higher learning is high comedy.

19. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Viktory. That’s it. That’s the very arrogance right there. You wonder why people troll you? Just re read your post.Get off tour GD high horses.

You are going to see more of these types of things happening.

Jesus, now another kid left early.

Getsome, no. ND never used to recruit the type of kid that would have academic issues. But because of morons likebyoy, who demand an 11 win season every year, they are forced to recruit them.

You can’t have it both ways anymore in this day and age with the teenage mindset. If you want to be a football school, you’ll have to quit waving the academic excellence flag. Otherwise its 4-5(if not more) loss seasons every year.

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Kind of like Stanford?

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

We measure Notre Dame’s greatness by the number of posts from trolls and haters.

Keep up the good work in making us awesome!

20. danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Well, now I guess we know what was his problem during those “zoned out” times during the season.

Does this hurt? Experience wise? Yes, but we have enough in the stable to make up.

Fuller and Robinson? Get prepared!

You know, I don’t care who starts at qb, rb, or wr or waterboy – JUST WIN BABY!

GO IRISH!

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

This doesn’t hurt. Daniels played himself out of a guaranteed WR1 role already. He was going to have to compete and earn his spot next season anyway. I’ve seen enough of DD already to get excited to see what the new guys can do. We could easily have a complete turnover on offense by week 1. I don’t see any “locks” at any position right now.

21. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM

You actually used the troll state(tsu) on 2 different stories?! You really think that its that much of a comedic gem? Your sense of humor is an atrocity.

Read a little slower if you don’t get it:

The fact that they are recruiting players that are having academic issues means they have lowered their standards a bit—-get it?! In years past, if a kid was bordeline academically, they’d pass on him. They can’t afford to do that now, fans (unrealistically) expect 11 wins a year ay ND.

Of course some of these kids are going pro. They were recruited to Division 1 schools for Gods sake. They were talented to begin with, that’s not a reflection on the coaches, that’s a reflection on their talent.

All major colleges give impermissible benefits. If you don’t think so, you are either woefully naive or willfully ignorant.

• danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

That is not what you said hayseed and my Troll State comment is hilarious! I guess you can somewhat, kind of dish but you can’t take.

You’re losing your style bro!

Troll State – that is funny!

• papadec - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Paul – if you, in fact, have evidence of any institution giving impermissible benefits to students – then you should turn that evidence over to the ncaa. If you do have such evidence, and don’t turn it over, then IMO you are an accessory after the fact. You become a part of the problem, not part of the solution. I suspect that this is just you having fun, tossing verbal hand grenades, to get reactions. BUT, I will have to say that it sure as hell seems like some of the major football programs are doing something(s) that are a violation of the rules – if not outright illegal. Yesterday, or today, Saban announced four (4) of his players are leaving for the nfl early, too. I just read, @ espn, that Alabama has hired Lane Kiffin as OC. Now there’s a marriage made in hell – they deserve each other.

• getsome99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Exactly. Except for ND. Show me an example of “impermissible” benefits at ND and why you think this even makes sense. As you stated, they don’t typically recruit the really good dumb kids so what is there to gain from “impermissible” benefits?

So by your contradicting theory, the pitch goes something like this:

“Son, we really want you to come to ND. If you can somehow pass these ridiculously hard tests, maintain a strong academic record during your 3 years here, and be a role model for our student body, we’ll slide you some cash under the table too.”

ND players either want to go to ND or they don’t want to go to ND; so they end up going to one of the other 120 schools. I don’t see any scenario where “impermissible” benefits would occur at ND.

22. paulhargis53 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Take what? Absolutely awful humor?
    I’m embarassed for you.

23. ndfenian - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I hope there is no big picture issue to this. The big picture fear would be that ND has allowed Kelly to bring in one or two academically “bubble” guys a year, and guys like Golson and Daniels are struggling to keep up. The other thing in regards to big time football at Notre Dame that people don’t talk about enough is the struggle these guys have in balancing very difficult academic demands with high level athletics. I’m sure guys at Oklahoma and Alabama have more time to do extra sprints or drills after practice, or look at film in their dorm room etc, whereas the ND guys are completely focused on their calculus tests. I remember after last year’s Michigan game, Kelly commenting on how Golson didn’t play well because he had a rough week in the classroom.

Let me ask this question. Would you all be opposed to ND allowing it’s football players (student-athletes) to complete their undergraduate degree in 5 years, as Stanford does, if you felt it would produce better results on the field? I know my answer!

24. irishfbfan1 - Jan 19, 2014 at 12:35 AM

The University of Notre Dame has always been and will continue to be one of the most prestigious academic institutions not only in the country, but the world. Notre Dame will test your everyday, every minute, every hour life both in and outside of the classroom. You cannot let your guards down, there is no such thing as time outs, resting period, etc… at this University. Makes no difference if you are the average student or the starting QB, WR, LB, or whatever, Notre Dame will NOT sacrifice it’s academic status, theory, philosophy for any extra curricular activity, that goes for both men and women. I love Notre Dame football with all my heart but I also love the University. I have the utmost respect for their beliefs, philosophy, and priorities. It takes a special individual just to be accepted and then graduate. To be offered a scholarship and be accepted, and then be involved with the football program and later graduate takes a very very special individual. Still amazes me how this football program year in and year out continues to compete with the schedule they play every year.

Mr. Daniels, you are a hell of a football player, and it would be very wise of you to do the same thing Mr Golson did, and that is to say, take your punishment, comeback to absolutely one of the best Universities in the world, play for the greatest football tradition ever, and graduate from this great University. Don’t look for the easy way out.
    This school prepares you for life, it was offered to you now take it. The number of people who dream about coming to school and playing football for this University is an actual true and remarkable story in itself. Get your butt lined out cause you only get one chance.

Go Irish