Troy Niklas heading to the NFL

Jan 10, 2014, 12:42 AM EDT

NCAA Football: Purdue at Notre Dame AP

Notre Dame’s run to the NFL continues, with Troy Niklas opting to test the NFL’s waters. The junior tight end has decided to leave Notre Dame early and enter the draft, where the 6-foot-7, 260-pound tight end should tempt plenty of teams with his unique blend of power and athleticism.

Niklas had 32 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns this season and was a Mackey Award semifinalist. After receiving a second round draft grade, Niklas admitted to mulling the decision before ultimately telling media that he was pretty sure he would return to South Bend and play next season. That won’t happen, with Niklas leaving South Bend with two semesters to go on his degree.

Pete Sampson at Irish Illustrated caught up with Don Niklas, Troy’s father, to discuss the decision. He talked about the factors that weighed into the decision.

“He feels that physically he was ready and physically your time is limited as a football player,” Don Niklas told Irish Illustrated. “The mental side of it, he feels he’s ready for that as well.┬áThe hardest choice was leaving his friends at Notre Dame.”

That physical limitations were brought up is interesting, considering the struggles Niklas had earlier in his career, with a migraine/concussion situation bringing a scare. Also worth noting is the tight end many think Niklas resembles, the Patriot’s Rob Gronkowski, who signed a big-money extension before injuries have robbed him of the better part of the past two seasons.

Niklas’ departure comes after Alex Welch already announced his plan to head to Miami (Ohio) to play for Chuck Martin. That leaves veteran Ben Koyack to anchor the unit with rising sophomores Mike Heuerman and Durham Smythe getting their first taste of college football, and incoming freshman Nic Weishar and Tyler Luatua picking up the slack. You’ve also got to wonder if the Irish will take another tight end in this recruiting cycle, with Utah’s Dalton Schultz still an option.

Niklas hasn’t selected an agent yet. He’ll likely begin training right away for the NFL Scouting Combine, where he’ll surely open some eyes.

“I have made the very difficult decision to pursue my childhood dream and will enter the 2014 NFL Draft,” Niklas said in a statement. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my Notre Dame experience and want to thank the University, coach Kelly, my teammates, the football staff, administration, and my teachers, as well as all of my friends and the entire Notre Dame community for providing this Southern California native with the experience of a lifetime. While I will miss being part of the team next year, I will always be part of the Notre Dame family and look forward to returning to earn my degree from the greatest university in the country. Go Irish.”

146 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bearcatirishfan - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I kind of look at this as moving towards a more typical big time program. Alabama always looses running backs with a year of eligibility left but there’s always another really good one waiting in the wings.

To me none of these losses, while not great, are not catestrophic. I think the loss of Manziel will be much more detrimental to texans a and m than these losses are to nd. Without that guy they are not well situated at all.

2. 25kgold - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM

*****BREAKING**** Among the people leaving ND for the NFL draft, Rudy and ND AD Jack Swarbrick are added to this growing list!

3. danirish - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Seems like a crazy day for the Irish. Niklas goes pro (good for him – hope the Bears get him, and Tuitt)

Daniels gone for Spring but will be back (hope)

Now I read that one of our commits – Dickerson is going to, drum roll, UCLA because his mom and dad are sick.

Now, to finish this post I will says this, its hurts for ND but I hope all the guys going to the NFL have a great career (except if they go to the Packers!), I hope Daniels gets his act together and does well, and I hope the kids parents live a long a fruitful life.

GO IRISH!

4. 25kgold - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM

***BREAKING*** It’s reported that former Irish head coach Lou Holtz will be suspended for the first three shows of this coming football season on ESPN. Allegedly, Holtz violated ESPN parking lot rules and regulations.

****Update*** Lou Holtz plans to appeal his suspension during the first Final Verdict segment of the season.

• dickasman - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

***BREAKING UPDATE***
      If dick asman gets drafted, he promises to show hid dick and asman in locker room interviews and it’s huger than visanthe shiancoes!!!

• dickasman - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Erin Andrews ain’t got nothing on me mang!

5. ndfaithful - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Look at the bright side. By may projections, ND will have up to NINE players drafted into the NFL this year. Do you think there’s a little better recruiting and player development going on these days in South Bend?

Maybe it will be 11 next year?

Go IRISH!

• 1historian - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

With FAs and draftees it was 13 last year.

6. ndfenian - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I find it ironic that the day after Niklas declared for the NFL, I have a conversation with a customer at our small business in Kansas City who’s second cousin is Nic Weishar, the 6’5″ tight-end prospect out of Chicago. My customer travelled to watch one of his high-school games at Soldier Field this year, and I guess the kid has speed to go along with his size. He was recruited by a bunch of schools, and very heavily by Michigan. One of the reasons he choose ND was to stay close to his family. His older brother died of colon cancer at the age of 21, maybe a year or two ago, while playing football at a college in Illinois. Catholic family from Chicago. I told him we expect great things from our tight ends!

7. c4evr - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Told you guys we should have grabbed Kiffin.

8. 25kgold - Jan 11, 2014 at 1:09 AM

***News Flash*** Touchdown Jesus will only have one arm up during the upcoming season, as his other arm will declare for the NFL draft. Of course, it’s projected to be the first pick ;0)

Go Irish!

9. cvilleirish - Jan 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Keith, I am sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn’t bear to read through 50+ bizarre Dickasman comments to find it.

If Brian VanGorder agreed to be our DC two weeks ago, why has it still not been officially announced?

Why is it that so many other schools can fire/lose/hire a head coach faster than we can name a DC?

Yes, I remember the George O’Leary fiasco, but this seems ridiculous at this point.

I hope that it is not the case, but I have to wonder about recruits rethinking their commitments since they don’t know who will be managing their side of the line of scrimmage.

I would appreciate any insight that you might have on either (or both) ND coordinator positions.

• domerboyirish - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I wish I could give this 10 thumbs up.

• ndfaithful - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Although you weren’t talking to me, I will share some insight on this situation. Several sources have reported that he was indeed selected and will coach, but that the announcement will be delayed until the NFL season is concluded.

I have heard in the past that the NFL frowns on coaching changes taking news and attention away from the playoffs. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the contact can’t be finalized until the NFL season is over for some reason. I don’t know.

It sounded odd, but from what I’ve read I wouldn’t expect an announcement until after the Superbowl.

10. domerboyirish - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Alabama, loses it’s OC and hires a new one, albeit Kiffin, a few days later. How may weeks has it been since we lost BOTH of our coordinators and we have nothing. We don’t even hear rumor or potential candidates for the OC while Van Gorder has been rumored for weeks with not official announcement. Something funny is going on.

Keith, any chance of getting ANY news on this front. I find it very worrisome that we are not pushing to make these hires and then get them in front of the recruits. How may more recruits can potentially flip while we sit back and do nothing. The Addias to UnderArmour news is getting more publicity and I really don’t give a damn who supplies our uniforms. Who is going to coach them?!

11. yaketyyacc - Jan 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

nothing really new about the transfers or going to the NFL or suspensions. what is new is our growth in areas as Twitter, Blogs, the internet, etc. that brings al the changes at once. it just took us longer back then to recognize a good or bad coach or player, and added to that is the influx of some keen insight from posters.
    Good luck to all those who for whatever reason have chosen to cut short college. my personal opinion is sure, you can drive on three wheels, but man, that fourth makes it so much better.
    as to Kelly, well, I think we have seen his best. the next years pan out as ok, but no NO. ONE rankings.
    will I cheer cheer for old Notre Dame. until I die…..

12. cpfirish - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Honestly these kids may be leaving early cause Brian Kelly is a prick.?

• mediocrebob - Jan 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM

And yet they’re flocking to Saban?

• irishpuma - Jan 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM

And if you could read my posts I discussed Saban, there is no doubt he is a dick, and I also told you Lou was a super prick but they had the nack to inspire, and placate and somehow make that look good. And what I am proposing is Kelly may not have that skill.

Kelly can sell as good as Saban because recruiting shows this. Kelly may not be able to maintain relationships. One thing I had not mentioned is trouble and off field incidents, and expulsions follow Kelly. Do some digging he has arrests, expulsions, suspensions, etc follow him at every stop. Another indicator. Again settle down I know that happens at some places and can be beyond control but it shows institutional loss of control and discipline. We see this lack of discipline on the field and we are seeing with the suspensions, alleged sex assault stuff, beating up cops, cheating, suspensions, etc. off the field.

if we are not going to be accountable or are OK with all this than I am saying if we are going to be Alabama lets be Alabama. Let them in, recruit everyone, relax standards and oversign grey shirt, etc. Diickas will supply the antler.

• mediocrebob - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

“Institutional loss of control”. You said it all though. IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. And Kelly seemed to be pretty inspirational last year. I’m not sure how closely you follow the program. Calm down. But if you were to watch some of his locker speeches, seems pretty passionate.

You can make up some of this stuff and post all you want. Bottom line is that kids now have one thing in mind when they go to a big time program. That’s to get to the next level ASAP. And Kelly has even been successful having players come back when they easily could’ve left (Eifert , Te’o, Floyd). Those guys appeared to have enjoyed playing for Kelly.

• mediocrebob - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

And I think if notre dame does want to be this great program , they have to change standards to get some of these guys in. Can’t have it both ways anymore. But they are far from Alabama or (insert college football power).

• irishpuma - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Bob rather than casting aspersions on other posters with ” I don’t know how well you follow the program” why not stick to some sort of facts or at least then dont agree wtih my point at the end. That is what I am saying if we want to be Alabaman then we need to be Alabama it is not that hard a concept to grasp.

As a former college athlete who attended ND and knew many in the program and have followed it religiously ever since, for the last 25 years I have no idea if that meets the threshold to be able to post in here…..lol

I question your limited casual knowledge of NDafter quoting Manti and Floyd loved BK. I can tell you I have no idea on Eiffert. If you followed the program at all you would know Manti and BK had a few disagreements along the way and it was not a smooth relationship until the end. Floyd was Floyd he got suspended kicked out etc. and BK let him back so again hard to say.

Yeah your deep connection to the program was through watching the Irish hour long propaganda films in NBC, Kelly had some good speeches agreed. But watch body language, watch how kids listen or rather don’t listen to him on the field, in the game, and in practice, off season etc. You have your opinion I have mine. I see alot of guys tuning out when BK gets going.

But anyway I am not saying BK is a bad coach, I think he is good, I don’t think he is great, and I do think the program is having some issues right now whether you agree or not.

At least nobody has got caught with a pound of weed in their car like DGB!!

Oh and Bob with your much deeper knowledge and analysis of the team than me where do you stand on how BK handled the death of Declan, and the tragic Lizzie situation as well as still giving the player involved the spotlight? Were his comments and actions reminiscent of an ND man?

• mediocrebob - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Well Puma, the simple fact that none of the 3 I mentioned left when they could have and came for a final year…they most likely had a solid relationship with their HC.

I never once posted anything about knowing more about the program than you. I simply stated that I didn’t know how closely you follow the program.

I must be watching a different team bc I have yet to notice them “not pay attention” while on the field or off. Maybe you’re behind the scenes and get to see it first hand at practice? I don’t really buy it though. I get the feeling they pay quite a bit of attention to what he has to say.

As for the other incidents, tragic as they may be, I’d like to know how they should’ve been handled. What did BK do/ not do? Funny that there wasn’t much mentioned about these events while the Irish were 12-0 last year. I guess people just forgot about them conveniently.

Hope that I didn’t give you any indication that I know more than you about this program. As a former athlete there, I would never question your knowledge of how BK runs his program. I apologize…

• irishpuma - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Hey Bob no my athlete days were long ago I was just illustrating that I follow the program probably way too close =)

I did speak about the various unsavory episodes on this site last year as well and was completely thumbed down. I don’t really want to rehash but basically BK should have been more sensitive and less flippant especially going as far as cracking jokes in regards to the Lizzie deal. Like you say who knows we are not in his shoes but I hope if I ever was and I was convinced something like that happened (and I know those are two big ifs) I could not let that player be on my team going forward regardless of whether there were criminal charges brought and I would not want said man representing my alma mater.

Also I am sure there are many who know much more about the program than I, including Keith and many other savvy posters. I only take umbrage to accusations that I don’t follow closely. Unfortunately it was from birth I was an ND fanatic and Irish football junkie, uncle played football there and father played baseball there. No choice but to be Irish. lol.

• getsome99 - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Then he should also get credit for the players that came back for their senior years. Floyd, Te’o, Rees, etc.

13. irishpuma - Jan 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

There are levels of prickitude my man….again we lost martin and diaco and maybe those guys were the factor. The CEO or manager of you company can be an ass but if your direct supervisor is cool then your job is probably fine. If your manager is gone maybe you have one more reason to hit the road. Who knows.

I am just saying it is fishy and again we are having more of this then the typical suspects Bama, Ohio state etc. And the arguments that this is what comes with a top tier program are weak. Stanford, Boise State, BC are three major football schools finishing in the top 10 or 20 in football ever year and are 1% better and below us in grad rate respectiviely and they are not experiencing turnover to this degree. In the BK era now we are 4th at graduating, Rice and Northwestern ahead of us and BC tied with us. Rice went 10-4 lol……

I guess thinking about things and research and looking for causes is to disturbing. Your right we just must be so good players can’t compete (even though we never blow anyone out and are typically 8-5) and need to leave, and they all want to go pro early even if they won’t get drafted or get a degree, or get free training for a year and get to play under the dome anymore. All that points to Kelly being a master at building a positive culture and environment that players love to play in.

Any way sorry I have beaten this to death and its falling on unsophisticated ears lol.

• nudeman - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM

No evidence to support it, but I don’t think guys are bailing early because of the coaches or Kelly. It’s possible, but I just don’t think so. And Bama had three guys declare for the draft in one day last week.

On another note, today I discovered a web site by a guy named Greg Gabriel who has extensive NFL experience as an NFL scout and player personnel guy. Not sure if he’s also an ND fan, but he posts on the 4HL and his stuff is dynamite. He has writeups posted on the ND guys who’ve declared for the draft.
      - Thinks VERY highly of Nix. Has him rated highest of all ND guys. Definite 1st rd.
      - Likes Tuitt, but talks of stiff hips, poor lateral agility, goes down easily, disappears for long stretches and hints that he takes plays off. Possible 1st round or early 2nd. (I feel vindicated; I never thought Tuitt lived up to what we expected)
      - Loves Niklas. Wishes he stayed another year as he’s not the best route runner, but a tremendous blocker, great athlete. Possible 1st round or 2nd worst case.
      - Atkinson: Just destroys him. Not in a malicious or personal way, but says he isn’t tough, runs upright, has bad hands, is a bad blocker and not a good athlete. Concedes he’ll do well at the Combine and could get drafted, but is more likely a UFA. Also makes a comment that the coaches were fed up with him long before breakfast-text-gate.

Anyway, it’s a great read and it isn’t premium content, so here you go:

• getsome99 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM

LOL. Vindicated? For what? Kelly announced during bowl week that Tuitt received a 2nd round grade and nobody here seemed too surprised by that news.

• nudeman - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Not that I want a direct dialogue with you, but I say “vindicated” because some here disagreed vehemently when I said Tuitt was not the stud we were expecting. This guy seems to agree with me. If you read his analysis he basically says the same thing.

I maintain he’ll get drafted high, maybe even 1st round, more because of potential than what he’s done so far.

• bernhtp - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Nude, thanks for the great post.

One small nit: greatness is a relative thing. If Tuitt goes in the late first to early second round, that puts him exactly where Eifert and Te’o were, and that would be after three years instead of four.

• nudeman - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

bern
        I just don’t know how anyone can look at Tuitt this year and say “great”.
        If you’re a great DL, you’re busting into the backfield, getting TFLs and sacks; and you’re running down ball carriers on the edges.

By comparison, Eifert had all sorts of acrobatic catches in 2011-12, caught well over 100 balls, TDs, lined up outside and created mismatches that gave Ds fits. T’eo had 5+ INTs in 2012, was regularly an animal on the field, especially vs. the run and finished 2nd in the Heisman. They were both great college players.

I don’t care if Tuitt is drafted ahead of where both were picked, he was NOT great.

• bernhtp - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Nude: first of all, the Diaco 3-4 does not lend itself to big TFL/sack stats by a DE. Their job is primarily to stop the surge and bottle up holes, and let the LBs mop up the rest. With that said, even with his injury/recovery, he did lead the team in that category.

What any honest observer will grant is a higher expectation for his performance after 2012. Tuitt was very, very good, verging on great, in that defense. Of course, he had a lot of help with almost everyone in that front 7 destined to play on Sundays (Spond being an exception, Fox is iffy).

We expected Tuitt to be great this year, and he started to veer in that direction toward the end of the season (e.g., USC). He could have had a huge senior year. Tim Prister, not known to be prone to hyperbole, repeatedly said that he expected Tuitt’s presence/absence to make a two-game difference in 2014. He holds him in that high esteem.

• irishpuma - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM

great article nude. Agree with Tuitt and have posted so. Yeah I can’t give a definite link to the defections and BK but I am trying to push some discourse and expand some critical thinking on here rather than just the usual “ND is great, if you say anything else you are not an ND guy and don’t know the program” lol.

PS still concerend with the usual confusion and dysfunction as far as 15 other schools naming new coaches and coordinators and we have no OC and our porn stached alleged DC is nowhere to be found or heard from.

• nudeman - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

bern
        First, the fact that Diaco ran a 3-4 is somewhat misleading. I read somewhere (Prister, I think) that the D they were in is totally situational and they probably ran nearly as much 4-3 as 3-4.

Second, if Tuitt’s job was to “stop the surge and bottle up holes”, he wasn’t very good at that either. There were some good moments like USC as you mention, but there were some real stinkers too like Michigan, Navy and Oklahoma.

Lastly, the most disturbing things about Greg Gabriel’s analysis were these comments:
        1) “There are some close to the Notre Dame program that will tell you that Tuitt was not the best when it came to attacking rehab.”
        2) “The problem is, for every top play, there are too many where he does nothing. Tuitt is not what I would call an “every down” competitor.”

Wow.

This is not some sportswriter writing this. Gabriel has serious cred evaluating talent. No knock against Prister. who I like a lot (Sampson needs to grow up) but Gabriel did this for a living for a long time at the highest level.

Still … NFL teams will excuse this (like they will for Clowney), they’ll see a 6’7″/300+ lb guy who had some highlights, get seduced and he’ll go in the 1st round and in my opinion he’ll have an average NFL career. The Bears need help badly at DL and I love ND, but I don’t want to see them take Tuitt. At least not in the 1st round.

• papadec - Jan 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the post nude. I thought there were two very interesting items in his post. 80 underclassmen have already declared for the NFL draft, and that it might go as high as 100. Not just an issue at ND. Regarding GA III – coaches were already fed up with him before the suspension. That bore out my feelings that there had to be more to the story than one tweet. If for no other reason, that made it in his best interest to get out of Dodge. He wasn’t going to get much playing time in the 2014 season. I would guess that the minimum salary, even for an UFA, is better than what most college grads get in their first job.

• nudeman - Jan 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

papa
        Yeah, I’d like to know more about GAIII. Has to be more than the text thing.

I’ve seen veiled references to the coaches being fed up with him, and it has to be more than his play on the field. Was he a divisive influence? Would he not listen? Not coachable? Something else?

Anyone have any insight?

• mtflsmitty - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Puma, I respect the effort to initiate more discourse. But I don’t think subjective discussion on how much BK is liked by players, which would almost certainly be 100% unfounded, qualifies for the insightful dialog you’re seeking. Is he a prick? I have no idea whatsoever. I don’t know the man. Nor have I walked a mile in his shoes.

Alternative topic for the critical thinking you seek: how will ND match up against the ACC? In general will the five games a year require The Irish to take a different tack to beat ACC teams? Etc. I’d be very interested in the collective thinking on that topic.

• irishpuma - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Smitty interesting question but I am not sure we are built to alter our style even if the switch to the ACC warranted it. In games where we should have rushed 50 times and rolled over much smaller Dlines we still through30-40 times a game.

It seems to me BK wants to win his way with his style and after trying that for 2-3 quarters if we are still losing and desperate he will go to ground.

I really don’t know enough about the ACC but I do know we will not match up well with FSU next year and at least Boyd is gone from Clemson but I don’t know when they pop on our schedule. Ok I opened another window and did some ACC research.

You will all be happy to know I was stunned by one fact that everyone else was probably already aware of…..THEY HAVE 14 TEAMS……With us that makes 15 teams….or 14.5 as we are not full fledged members. So playing 1/5th of the membership is not enough to warrant any change in my opinion and some of the teams we have historically played such as BC, WAKE, GTECH, Pitt, Miami anyway so it should not be a shock to the system. We need to be like Alabama and and avoid the best teams if possible and schedule soft out of conference but at ND that will never happen.

I wish we had aligned with the BIG 10 which is 12 or 13 teams (who knows) and adopted the Big Ten style of run first big lines smash mouth football because it suits our style and skill sets right now. All this being said for the NFL I am a pass happy Bronco Fan because that fits what we have right now.

What is your take smitty?

• 1historian - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I hope Niklas goes to the Pats.

“The next pass I catch will come from Tom Brady.”

Predict – Gronk will be gone from the Pats after next season.

• 1historian - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The Lizzie deal – from all reports the girl was not all there. A Notre Dame athlete was suspected of having some responsibility in the matter, but his name was kept secret – what else to do? Notre Dame did the right thing in keeping his name secret./

Picture this if you will – you’re a Notre Dame athlete, ESPECIALLY a football player, and I understand an African-American player and you are accused of something like this and then you are exonerated – what good does that do? It does no good at all – Your name is dirt from then on exonerated or not.

Sullivan – a true tragedy but Kelly had no part in it. Sullivan SHOULD have been kept from going up given the weather conditions but there was no one with the authority to say “you’re not going up.”

The kid had no real experience or training on lifts – he should have had but he didn’t – not Kelly’s responsibility. BTW – I spent time on lifts when I was a construction worker and they can be quite scary. Just before he went down he was actually texting someone that he was in real trouble, instead of trying to get down. That doesn’t show a whole lot of sense.

• irishpuma - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM

1 uninformed or revisionist historian, with a name like that you could really do some sort of research. Why not read about it from some actual journalists and Lady alumns about the climate on campus and what may or may not happened. Was the troubled girl as you call her making up the text messages that SB police found and investigated from other players bullying and intimidating silence? Even if you are troubled does that warrant a sexual assault. Using logic if she killed herself over it or her treatment after would that not indicate something severe happenned. Would that warrant at least not a flippant joke and dismissal when discussing it??And everyone knows who the player is and he may get drafted, and he has a couple other incidents below deck. Do you think Jameis is innocent as well. Just because you can’t convict does not mean nothing happened.

BK could have certainly told him to get down, or its too windy. It is his program, have you been on campus in the presence of the ND Football coach?? I have…Holtz, to Weiss, to BK they can dictate and control anything in their sphere.

But I already know how you refuse to deal with anything sensical and before you misinterpret yet again I never said Kelly is responsible for those events.

But when good men do nothing is my problem with it. and also he showed zero sensitivity in both events. And yeah if i was coaching a certain LB would have never seen the team or field again. It is not innocent until proven guilty to be allowed a scholarship and a spot. I might have went after the bullys texting her as well. There is a major anti bully campaign linking to criminal charges taking off all over the country.

14. getsome99 - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I think it’s been well documented throughout the season that neither Tuitt nor Nix played as well as we expected. Rees supporters even argued with you that this was real a big reason why ND lost games this year that they would have won last year, although you argued that was just an excuse for Rees and the defense hadn’t dropped off at all. Interesting that it took this one article for you to feel vindicated about something 99.9% of us already agreed with and discussed. Since the Michigan game actually.

Maybe I should feel vindicated by this article as well regarding Niklas. You argued with me that he is “already” a stud. I told you he was still raw (pass catching) and needs to improve his route running to be an elite pass catching tight end like Eifert.

• irishpuma - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM

You are right on that Getsome it was too soon for Niklaus he can sit on a three deep roster spot somewhere and may have a 5td season in the next 4 years. I posted earlier but even our 4 year studs have not done that much in the NFL. Another year of seasoning would have done him and his development wonders. These guys are not as gigantic when they go up against NFL sized LB’s and Safety’s. In College they could run straight down the field and turn and rumble. Not so easy in the NFL and they have to get off the line. NFL= Timing is everything, if you don’t run pure routes you seriously diminish your chances of being successful. He has all the tools he just may be more of a long term project. Or a great blocking TE.

15. irishlee10 - Jan 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

While refreshing the app to see if there are any new articles I realized that it’s probably good that there aren’t any new articles since the last 3 have been bad news for the Irish.

16. fitz79 - Jan 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Ah Troy…Troy…sniffles…we hardly knew thee.