Notre Dame experience continuing to grow

Jan 27, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

Updated Notre Dame Stadium

After announcing a market-setting deal with Under Armour last week, expect to hear from Jack Swarbrick again soon. That’s because Swarbrick and university president Rev. John Jenkins are expected to reveal the results of a long-awaited study on the expansion of Notre Dame Stadium.

While the details will likely be made public soon, our friends at Irish Illustrated got the early scoop on plans. While the initial announcement mentioned premium seating options, space for classrooms and conferences and additional media resources, Irish Illustrated also confirmed the not-too-surprising development that the redesign will also feature two videoboards.

While certain traditionalists will bristle at the video screens (I’m not one of them), the updates are in line with what’s been happening all around campus and throughout the athletic department. No longer will Notre Dame be known for its old-school “charm” with its athletics facilities, which on any other college campus would be code for antiquated and below par fields, courts and arenas.

The changes haven’t gone on noticed. One recent example is the new Compton Family Ice Arena, home of the Notre Dame hockey team. The rink has been an immediate hit in both the local South Bend community and to college hockey fans everywhere.

In a recent post on Stadium Journey, the new Irish hockey rink, with its videoscreen, indoor Irish pub, and modern amenities, actually ranked higher than the football stadium on their list of best stadium experiences in 2013, with both Compton and Notre Dame Stadium ranking in the top ten.

Here’s the rest of their Top 10:

Home of the Minnesota Wild

8. Notre Dame Stadium
Home of Notre Dame Football

9. AT&T Center
Home of the San Antonio Spurs

10. Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Home of the Baltimore Orioles.

1. whodabigdog - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Keith; you left out the new field turf.

• dickasman - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Will they have heated toilet seats there like I’m accustomed to at home? Will it also have 26in flat screen tv? Will they serve booze? Will they have cocaine friendly flat top SS toilet paper holder so I can just use my ID card in a jiffy? Will the urinals all be Kohler? Will there be jumbotron?

If the answer is no to any of the above, at my age, I can’t go to any of the games so enjoy the rotten wood food stamp bench seating.

• irishpuma - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Come on DICK I expected you to stay up to date on the best toilets in the world. Just got back from a weekend getaway in a Prestige suite at the top of the Palazzo in Vegas…Had three toilets in the room and they were all TOTO the best toilets in the world, and they had flat tops for your habit!

2. 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM

“premium seating?”

hmm, in the old days this meant having your own box behond the bench fully equipped with the flimsy fold-up chairs to sit on. I have a suspicion this isn’t what swarbrick and the BoT have in mind though.

premium seating in 2014 means fully catered, climate-controlled luxury boxes so the muckety mucks can sip their pinot grigio and snack on watercress finger sandwiches out of the wind and cold. as if personal seat licenses weren’t offensive enough, now the most beautiful football stadium in all of college football is going to be marred with the eyesores of a ring of luxury boxes on top so that the boys from Jones Day, Deloitte and elsewhere can get their NFL experience right there in south bend.

I can’t wait to hear how this “enhancement” is rolled out and claimed to be for any other purpose besides padding the bottom line.

crying shame.

• notredameirish1980 - Jan 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM

The crying shame is a lack of home field advantage due to antiquated facilities combined with an antiquated fan base. I’m a middle-aged alum and am tired of being told to sit down during games when the team needs a spark. Bring on a real video screen, pump up the music, and move the geezers to the box seats. We are ND!

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I agree with everything you say. people who don’t cheer loud or take offense at loud cheering shouldn’t come to games.

but luxury boxes don’t do anything for homefield advantage. people in luxury boxes don’t cheer louder than the rest of the proletariat freezing on the wood benches. recruits don’t give a hang about luxury boxes. luxury boxes are indicia that there is nothing you won’t do for a buck, and ND has lots of bucks coming in without going after more corporate money in this fashion.

that should be the line in the sand. replay screen? sure. field turf? you bet. 3rd down music? all day long. luxury boxes? just say no.

• dbldmr - Jan 27, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hey…I’m one of the geezers and I’m with you. If I don’t feel like standing for the entire game that doesn’t mean I should bitch at everybody else who IS standing.

As to the video screen, I’m in. Since every game is televised, we are subjected to lengthy interludes of time out. A video board could at least be entertaining during those never-ending commercials.

In on the music too. Since 60 minutes of football takes all of 4 hours of stadium time we could use more entertainment.

• irishfan4life - Jan 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

All you ‘traditionalists’ need to look at the current athletic facilities across the country. The NEW YORK YANKEES built a new Yankee Stadium, the Boston Red Sox renovated Fenway Park, Chicago is set to renovate Wrigley Field, countless organizations and universities are looking to enhance the stadium experiences and the atmosphere. With this comes a better locker room (which recruits do care about), an opportunity to have them walk into the best stadium in the world and see Tim Brown take a kickoff 96 yards, Tommy Z return punts, Michael Floyd catch jump balls, Everett Golson throw bombs to Daniels, Mante Te’o and the ND defense stop Stanford at the half yard line on a video board, then turn around to see Touchdown Jesus watching over everyone! What 17/18 year old kid wouldn’t fall in love and commit on the spot!!?!

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM

“traditional” as I may be, I don’t have a beef with a jumbotron, sweet locker rooms, or other “enhancements” to the stadium or atmosphere.

it’s adding ugly monstrosities to an otherwise attractive structure for the sole purpose of permitting ND to collect some more dough by leasing suites so execs can entertain clients at ND games and write it off as a business expense. that’s all that luxury boxes are and that’s why they’re awful. they’re not for fans or patronized by fans and they don’t “enhance” the atmosphere. they enhance balance sheets.

add this to the list of ways ND should strive to remain different from UM, Alabama, etc.

• mediocrebob - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I’m no engineer, but with the addition of a new luxury box on the visiting side as well as additions to the south end zone would possibly hold some noise in I would think. I know that was one of the main points with the Michigan Stadium addition.

Everyone has a right to attend the games. Those people that don’t like the standing and cheering need to realize what they’re attending. If they don’t like standing or can’t stand, that something they should take into account before purchasing tickets. The “take a stand” campaign makes me chuckle when the ushers are wearing Take a Stand buttons and then threatening to kick people out for “taking a stand”.

Again, I’m no engineer. Just thinking ( and hoping) that part of the study over the last few months had something to do with trapping some of the noise. I also believe that the more night games, the better. Weeds some of those people out.

• mediocrebob - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:24 PM

And I also believe that you can enhance and improve the stadium while at the same time keep the unique things that make Notre Dame Stadium what it is.

Tradition to me is winning and doing it the right way. It’ll always be the House that “Rock” Built the same way that Fenway will always be Fenway. They didn’t tear down the Green Monster. They added seats on top of it.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM

come on now, you think UM is putting in luxury boxes and leasing them out at 75K/year just to make the big house louder? that’s what I mean by a school trying to pitch that innovation as something other than a blatant money grab. that makes about as much sense as adding luxury boxes to “help save the whales.”

• bearcatboy - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I’m not sure how any of this increases “home-field” advantage. Now I’m just going to find myself starring at giant screen for 4 hours. If they want to increase home field advantage and another 10,000 seats somehow.

• dickasman - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

BTW Have you seen the movie called the crying game? Hott!

• mediocrebob - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Of course that’s not the only reason Michigan added on. I didn’t say that at all. I remember reading articles discussing the Michigan engineering students researching on how to keep noise in the stadium. I’m saying that all I care about is if the additions can help or give any home field advantage because it’s sort of a joke at most games. I’ve taken friends that aren’t Irish fans and they always comment on the lack of crowd noise. They enjoy themselves but they notice how there isn’t much of an advantage.

Adding another 10k would be awesome. But how many of them will be sitting on their hands? There are enough of those already.

• rpbags - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM

thank you for saying that because i have been to ND games before where i have wondered if they have hands or lungs!!!!!!!!!

• bearcatboy - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I agree. Notre Dame stadium has a charm to it with the logo-less field and real kentucky blue (is it kentucky blue?). You gotta admit, it was “cool” to not have a gaudy jumbo screen like every other place in the country. And yes, I remember standing up in confusion waiting for a call to be reviewed with absolutely no idea what was happening but that was kinda cool. Hell, we are basically in a conference why not basically have a jumbo screen. This is gonna be like when Dylan went electric (though I do like Dylan on the electric).

• tucsonfan - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

What is it, you have something against people with money?? These will be a money maker for the school, and the weather does stink late in the year.

• dickasman - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Tucson, where have you been? It’s all piss poor democrats on here.

• mediocrebob - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Not all , Dick.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM

people with money are fine.

people who like to eat fancy food and drink overpriced hooch at football games are fine.

people who want to spend their money going to football games eating fancy food and drinking overpriced hooch are fine. but when these people (really their businesses) and their willingness to spend their money drives ambitious university presidents and athletic directors to screw up a good thing, sure that bothers me. it’s football. it’s a man’s game. if you can’t sack up and stick out the weather, stay in the RV.

you know what else would be a money maker for the university? selling crack. that would raise loads of cash. then again, ND’s endowment is already 6.5 billion, so is fundraising really vital at this point?

3. domerboyirish - Jan 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM

For those that were paying attention to the Zack Martin discussion last week, they have new mock drafts available. They are revised based on the Senior Bowl.

Bleacher Report has him at 19. SBNation has him at 26.

The odd thing is that SBN had ZM as the only ND player taken in the first round. (Tuitt at 34. Nix at 39).

• irishfan4life - Jan 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

ZM has a chance at being the highest drafted offensive lineman in ND history. Could push top 10 if he has a good combine workout.

Nix and Tuitt could both climb back into the 1st round if they have good combine workouts. It would be a shame if they both left ND with eligibility left to be second round picks. Feel the same way about Niklas, could have been the first TE off the board next year.

• grumpyirish61 - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

George Kunz, 2nd pick first round, 1969. Good luck, but tough to top.

• tucsonfan - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I’m surprised Nix is behind Tuitt, who I think was way over-rated this year. Niklas was just plain dumb to come out early I think.

• whiskeystraight - Jan 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Irishfan I accidentally “reported” your comment. Apologies, not intentional… Tucsonfan whether Niklas went pro this year or next he faces a steep learning curve in the NFL. As with any other rookie TE he will struggle with running routes, beating jams, and blocking edge rushers. That happens to every TE as a rookie in the NFL. It’s a man’s game and college just doesn’t prepare you for the physicality you face.

He definitely had stud potential in his senior year but he will learn more as a rookie in the NFL than he could as a senior in college. He has the body to deal with the punishment, and recognizes that his time is limited as a pro. Best of luck to him.

• irishpuma - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:09 AM

They get what they get should have finished the game.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:51 PM

it would be exciting if he went even higher than andy heck and aaron taylor did. he’s going to have a great career in the nfl. whoever gets him is going to be glad they did.

4. dudeacow - Jan 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I trust Jack.

• dickasman - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Yeah me too. He seems like a good republican.

• NotreDan - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

dick what are you gonna do if hillary beats the new jersey whale?

5. mediocrebob - Jan 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I don’t really have an opinion on the additions. I want it to be louder and a feared place to play like it used to be. Won’t happen until certain people realize that they’re at a football game and not at church.

I do hope they upgrade the sound system. Time to move on. Can’t wait to hear the official new plans. People that will complain about it are the same people telling fans to sit down and be quiet at games.

6. oldschoollyons - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Over the years, Notre Dame Stadium has been a throwback to a simpler, purer time when the focus was on the players and the team and the game. However, tradition and both highbrow and middlebrow culture have faded, leaving our present junk culture in their place.

So why fight a rearguard action any longer? Lets make ND Stadium like all the rest, with flashing lights and sounds and quick changes of picture to distract those who are unable to focus on the field or the game. Attention spans are shorter now. Why resist it?

Some might argue that two video boards or jumbotrons or mumbo-jumbo-tron video boards will downgrade the aesthetics of the stadium. But aesthetics have to give way to distractions and entertainment for a dumbed-down population. That’s just the way it is.

“The play’s the thing” may have been so when Shakespeare wrote “Hamlet.” But time has passed; and defining culture and aesthetics down is the way we live today. Why indeed should the football stadium hold out?

• notredameirish1980 - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Being able to see a replay of a critical moment in the game is junk culture for ADD sufferers? Please! How many times have you been at the stadium and wished you could see what just happened? And I have respect for the Library staff, but honoring them during media time outs sucks the life out of the crowd. I have been awed by the crowd at Seattle home games when I have watched them on TV. Wouldn’t it be nice to experience that type of excitement at ND Stadium?

• tucsonfan - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Ditto that!!

• irishpuma - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:12 AM

So we should pipe in crowd noise like they do in Seattle and then we don’t have to do anything!!! before the remodel in the NC year in 88 it was plenty loud, smaller crowd….I think its about the people going to the games….That said piped in noise, acoustic build, turf, jerry jones jumbo tron, sweet azz lockers, and an animatronic 3 D Touchdown Jesus….If we are going to go in lets go all in!!!

• dbldmr - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hey…I was at Notre Dame when capacity was 59,075. It was great. I loved it. If I could have my choice we’d still be there,

EXCEPT

Games started at 1:30 in the afternoon and didn’t take four hours to play. We weren’t subjected to the ongoing parade of (deserving) faculty members and (deserving) student-athletes during TV timeouts. Night games were non-existent. (Yeah…they’re great fun and everything unless you happen to be in attendance and can’t get out of the parking lot until 1:00 AM and weren’t lucky enough to land one of the $300 per night hotel rooms in the area.)

If you want to go back to a more pure football experience I’m sure it can happen, but I believe we already have the Ivy League. I think that train left the Notre Dame station a long time ago. A literary figure who opposes the mega-money steamroller in today’s NCAA isn’t Hamlet. It’s Don Quixote.

• don74 - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Well said.

• 1historian - Jan 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Sad but true, true but sad.

Panem et circenses

7. jem5b - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

4horse.; You can only write off 50% for travel, lodging and entertainment.
    Blame those dastardly Dems. :)

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM

i was talking a corporate tax write-off, not personal one, but that’s assuming corporation-X actually pays corporate income tax, which is not a safe assumption altogether.

• dickasman - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM

High fiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!

8. goirishgo - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Some are on the record from the early 1900s as believing that “nothing can replace a good horse” when asked about the imminent move to the automobile. My own mother refused to use a dishwasher because she didn’t trust it to get the dishes clean. And I’ve seen dozens of people in my career get steamrolled by advancing technology, new processes and changes of direction in leadership.

I love the ND campus. I also love the no-frills stadium. Replays and dot races on giant screens don’t interest me.

But it’s going to happen because change is relentless. And I will adapt and love it. Especially if the sum total makes more dough for the school. It’s a big part of how ND will compete successfully going forward.

I too trust Jack.

9. rpbags - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I think that it is great and that it is long overdue! Change is taking place all over college football and ND is will not and can’t get left behind. If field turf is also in the plans i think its great because why practice on it and then go play on a grass field that is always getting chewed up over time??? Once it is all said and done and all of the older ND fans get that it’s 2014 and 1971 it will be great for the university and for the football program and really all of sports at ND! Once again this is just my opinion of course and as always LET’S GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. fnc111 - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM

This is a smart move by Jack and co. The product on the field never changes at ND, much like the Chicago Cubs. In order to get a big base to continue to come to the games something had to change. A good chunk of the fan base was going to stop coming to the games at $90 a ticket when there is no offense with Kelly as coach and consistent 8-4 records.

• bernhtp - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM

fnc, this is even moronic for you. ND stadium has been consistently sold out since a Thanksgiving weekend game against Navy in the 70s despite a 34% increase in capacity. If you look at market prices kfor tickets (e.g., Stubhub), they typically go fo a large multiple of the $90 face value. This was true during the dark days of the Weis era and shows no sign of abating now with Kelly doing far, far better.

• wisner74 - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I agree with you 99%, Bern. My only quibble is that it was the Air Force game in 1973. It was played on Thanksgiving Day so it could be aired on TV. It was my senior year, and like many of my classmates I went home for the long T-Day weekend. I’m not sure, though, whether the game was not a sell-out or simply did not have a capacity crowd. For example, all the student tickets were in fact sold — to the students as part of our activity fee — but a whole lot of us weren’t there.

• bernhtp - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM

wis, I was at the game. Couldn’t afford to go home for Thanksgiving. You’re right that my memory faded as to which military academy it was.

• don74 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I too was at that game. Couldn’t or didn’t want to go home. Very odd home game as many tickets were turned back. The tickets were given to employees and many of the maintenance, housekeeping and dining hall staff went to their first and perhaps only game.

Very quiet day for the stadium but a very fast game.

11. fnc111 - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

ndirish1980,

Amen! Someone actually put their hands on me and told me to sit down at the 2011 USC game. Everyone in my row was standing up and it was a huge moment in the game. I had no idea people two rows behind us were sitting with the game on the line. I hear the voices all the time when standing that so and so didn’t pay to watch the backsides of people. There is no home field advantage at ND. It needs to change.

• wisner74 - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What were the people in front of you doing, fnc? Were they standing or sitting?

12. fnc111 - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Props to mediocre too. I thought I almost blew out my lungs vs Pitt in 2012. It was a shock to see the stadium get that loud. Happens way to little there!

13. fitz79 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I’m jealous the hockey arena has an Irish pub. Everywhere is better with an Irish pub. At any rate, ND is clearly searching for a good balance between the old and the new. I think there will always be the pressure on Jack to keep one foot in the past as the other one steps into the brave, new future. Realistically I think this is the best policy. We need to be a successful program in the 21st century but also need to keep the things that make us Notre Dame. Let the balancing act begin.

• wisner74 - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM

The single most important thing that must remain the same regarding Notre Dame football is that the players are truly student/athletes. They must take legitimate courses and pass, they have real majors, they are expected to graduate in four years, AND they live in the dorms like everyone else.

There are many other trappings of the program that we each feel more or less strongly about. Remember the hue and cry when ND began to allow players to participate in a fifth year? How about more recently when the University began to allow mid-year matriculation for certain early-graduating high school seniors. How about the training table? — The football players are mingling less with the rest of the student body.

Some people were upset by each of these moves, but none of them changed the true character of Notre Dame football, and all of them have been beneficial to the program.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM

irish pubs.

something everyone can agree on.

• dbldmr - Jan 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I’ve found one in Talinn, Bruges, Dubrovnik, Heidelberg, and Rome. They were all great.

14. mbannon92 - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

How will luxury suites increase home field advantage?

It’ll get all the old farts who sit silent the whole game in the boxes and get REAL fans, LOUD fans, in the bowl. Also, as someone else mentioned, the double boxes will help hold in crowd noise better.

I love it.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

except that it’s not going to be the blue-hairs that end up in munching on steak tartar and Belgian endive in those suites, it’s going to be the execs whose company have 100K lying around to pay the freight for the lease fees.

all the same, I am completely for the idea of football fans acting like they’re at a football game rather than at a wake. like many, i’m jealous of the teams with stadiums where opposing teams fear playing. but don’t kid yourself, luxury boxes won’t do anything to further that objective.

• bearcatboy - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Maybe they can put in secret megaphones that will blare loud fan noises recorded at an ohio state game.

15. irishdog80 - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Jumbotrons are not the real issue…it’s how they choose to use them. If they are used to show replays/highlights and entertain the crowd during extended TV timeout breaks…I am good to go. If they are used to endlessly promote national and local businesses and unnecessary Rah Rah type promos, then I am against Jumbotrons. I will never forget…other than our poor performance on the field that I choose to let fade into bad memories…being in Lincoln, NE to watch our Bob Davie led Irish get pummeled by Nebraska in 2001. Nebraska has a massive Jumbotron that pumped out loud local ads and promos for their 26th ranked croquet team and other Nebraska teams at every chance. It was almost as annoying as our performance on the field that afternoon/evening. On the other hand, I am sure Cierre Wood enjoyed watching himself run into the end zone against Oklahoma in 2012.

TV timeouts suck the energy out of ND Stadium. The Jumbotron can be used to keep the crowd energized and to keep the fan base informed about what is going on around college football and what is being shown under the hood of instant replay…if possible. Add in a couple of ND-centric national ads that tug at the heart strings and emotions of the ND faithful and the Jumbotron will be a winner and welcome addition to the game day experience. I know I will enjoy watching a few trips down memory lane as the Jumbotron is used to pump up the crowd…’77 USC Trojan Horse Game, the Bush push (to incite anger), Michigan under the lights in ’88 and more.

Go Irish!

• mediocrebob - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

No doubt there will be advertisements on the jumbotron. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think there will be. They have coca cola and McDonald on the scoreboards at times during the game now.

• irishdog80 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I agree that there will be commercials, but they should be like the Masters commercials…few and far between and limited to the select few that will not detract from the gameday experience. And guess what? The more exclusive they make the ad opportunity, the more they can charge. It can be done…commercials on the Jumbotron…but not at the expense of the gameday experience. Savvy marketers will recognize that they have to play to the ND crowd with ads that resonate with ND otherwise they will lose their audience and have a negative result.

• dbldmr - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

“TV timeouts such the energy out of ND Stadium.” Truer words were never spoken.

I don’t think that older alumni (of which I’m one) are incapable of getting involved in the game and cheering, albeit somewhat less robustly, like they did when they were students. The challenge is keeping up the energy level.

“…and after that interception by (Fill in the blank) of Notre Dame, we’ll be right back after eight minutes of commercials.” And there we sit in the stands watching John Affleck-Graves presenting an award to a representative of the South Dining Hall as we impatiently look at the most-hated man on the field, the official with the orange arm who controls our destiny, wondering when the hell the commercials will be over so we can get back to the main course, the football game.

Is it any wonder that the crowd becomes somnolent? Paul says that the love of money is the root of all evil. Do you suppose he had Notre Dame home games in mind?

• dbldmr - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Sorry…”suck”

16. irish46327 - Jan 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Now maybe they’ll install the same turf system that the Packers have. Rather have grass than turf.