Kelly makes Denbrock’s hiring as offensive coordinator official

Jan 31, 2014, 12:35 AM EST

Denbrock

In what might be the least surprising official news of the offseason, Notre Dame formally announced Mike Denbrock‘s ascension to offensive coordinator. After having the interim tag for the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Denbrock will now coordinate the offense for Kelly, with the Irish head coach calling the plays.

This is Denbrock’s second tour at Notre Dame. He was a member of Tyrone Willingham’s staff for three seasons before returning with Kelly in 2010 as the tight ends coach. After coaching that position for two seasons, he was named passing game coordinator in 2012 and moved to outside receivers coach.

Kelly and Denbrock go back to the late-80s, where both worked as assistants at Grand Valley State. Denbrock served as both Kelly’s offensive and defensive coordinator for the Lakers before heading briefly to the Arena Football League before catching on at Stanford. Between stops at Notre Dame, Denbrock rejoined Willingham’s coaching staff at Washington before spending a season at Indiana State.

Kelly will formally introduce Denbrock to the local media Friday at noon.

The Denbrock File
Year School/Franchise Assignment
1986-87 Grand Valley State Graduate Assistant
1988-89 Michigan State Graduate Assistant
1990-91 Illinois State Offensive Tackles/Tight Ends
1992-95 Grand Valley State Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
1996-98 Grand Valley State Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1999-2000 Buffalo (AFL) Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Offensive and Defensive Line
2001 Stanford Offensive Tackles/Tight Ends
2002-04 Notre Dame Offensive Tackles/Tight Ends
2005-08 Washington Offensive Line
2009 Indiana State Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers
2010-11 Notre Dame Tight Ends
2012-13 Notre Dame Outside Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator
2014 Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator/Outside Wide Receivers

1. dickasman - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I dunno how I feel about this as I am neither firm nor flaccid, middle of the road I guess. It’s like when you meet a nice blonde, great personality, really smart and kind, nice rack, beautiful face, almost marriage material even but about 40lbs overweight and it ain’t her fault cuz it’s in her genes and it’s permanent.

How do you guys feel about this not that this is any “shocker”, y the two in the hole one!

• irishpuma - Jan 31, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Dick I was not expecting you to say anything larger than 4 lbs overwieght….40 pounds I don’t have the back for it no way.

2. irishpuma - Jan 31, 2014 at 2:24 AM

WoW! If his one game at the wheel is an indicator and the offense runs anything like the Pinstripe Bowl against a 6-6 AAC team…..oh wait…..uh oh!!!

I know it was only one game with the REESUS so we should obviously cut him some slack….all will be revealed next year no excuses.

Or is he really just a puppet put in place by BK? Thoughts please.

• ndgoldandblue - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Lights out in between the 20s. Redzone issues persist.

3. viktory2013 - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:14 AM

Coordinator in name only, handling details and drills. Kelly will be the brains behind the offense including play calling.

4. yaketyyacc - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:56 AM

offensive coordinator is too sophisticated, more like whipping boy or Kelly’s flunkie. but. hey, for denbrock, It is a paycheck.
    so, saving time and a lot of writing, Notre Dame’s season is shaping up as another “defense carries the team”, while the offense is offensive.

5. NotreDan - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I think its a good hire. I think the way BK is looking at all this is he is going to make this offense truly his, and he feels like he has the personnel to make it fly next year.

Its interesting, because I think he will either be shown to be a really good leader, or bomb, but either way its all on BK.

• domerboyirish - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Great Post. Let’s make sure that we all keep this in mind moving forward. With this hire, Kelly puts everything associated with the offense on his shoulders. After four years he is out of excuses and has everything in place to run ‘his system’. If it flounders, look out…

• 1historian - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Kelly is calling the plays, he has the QB he wants, and every recruit on the squad is a Kelly guy.

No excuses.

6. ndrocks2 - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:10 AM

No impact really on the offense since BK is calling shots, hopefully he is a good recruiter. He’ll be leaving in two or three years as a head coach at some low level DI program as their next savior depending how good Golson is.

The fact that Kelly continues to hire/promote coaches he has worked with in the past isn’t really that unusual it’s just that when other DI BCS coaches do this their roots are Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, etc. BK’s is Grand Valley State a DII “powerhouse”. That sounds ok for Cincinnati, Louisville and similar mid-level programs. But does Denbrock really ring of “finally we got someone who will challenge and raise the bar of the program”? Someone who has had success in the past in a strong conference or been an influential contributor to a National Championship team?

VanGorder while still a BK/GVSU connection brings a bit of hope of potentially bringing something new to the program, a potential difference maker. Denbrock, not so much.

If you want to be an elite program you need to hire elite coaches.

7. danirish - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Please do the following:
    1. Score
    2. Be exciting and don’t bore me
    3. Just win!

#3 the most important of course

GO IRISH!

8. paulhargis53 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM

The upcoming football season for ND had all the ingredients for a train wreck.

I for one, am going to pray to God and the man Jesus for that to happen.

• blackirish23 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Sorry to break this to you but God/Jesus could care less who wins or loses are football game. His mother on the other hand cares a whole lot for her loyal sons and daughters, so we’ll be just fine. Thanks for your prayers though, but they’re quite misguided…. then again I guess that’s par for the course for you. Good luck.

9. paulhargis53 - Jan 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Hate to break this to you, but I highly doubt “Mother Mary, gives a hornets nest of a crap about you or your football team either.
    Why would she? They are irrelevant to the National title moving forward.
    Word on the street is that she’s backing LSU now. Have fun with 8-4 and the Meineke car bowl ….

• blackirish23 - Feb 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Paul – so if God doesn’t care, Jesus doesn’t care, and Mother Mary doesn’t care, then why bother making the effort to pray for Notre Dame to have a bad season in the first place? Sounds like another misguided waste of time on your part – just like your time here on this blog….then again, like I said in my previous post, it’s par for the course as usual in your case.

• mediocrebob - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Looks like I’ve been replaced. Enjoy the ride black.

10. fnc111 - Jan 31, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I just farted after reading dickasman.

• 1historian - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM

I flatter myself in saying that I speak for many of us in stating categorically that we all have lists of the top 5 things we don’t need to know, and your flatulence, and that which causes it, is probably in the top 3 of about 98% of our lists.

It’s #2 with a bullet on mine, and I won’t tell you what is 1st.

But I do thank you for your contribution.

11. rocket1988 - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:01 PM

No one cares what haggis thinks. If it’s a bad season he will tell all of his inflatable dolls about it in his moms basement.

12. irishdog80 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I have heard from a reliable source that the coaching environment at ND this past year could be a better one. It looks like Kelly is trying to get as many of his Grand Valley State guys in there that he can. They get Kelly and are on the same page as him leading to a better working relationship for all. It’s all good if it works.

The offensive problems ND has had is largely due to the well documented QB issues. Its all about Golson now. If Golson and even Zaire and Kizer are the type of QBs that can run Kelly’s offense at high efficiency–look for a good long run of success.

• irishdog80 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM

“could have been a better one.”

I need to be slower on hitting the Post comment button or they need an Edit function on here. Edit function would be my choice.

13. 1historian - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:46 AM

212 days until kickoff!!

14. paulhargis53 - Feb 1, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Ouch, that Moms basement comment really stung!! Uff.

I disagree. I think what this site needs is MORE flatulence talk.

Speaking if which, yesterday I dropped what I THOUGHT was going to be a fart.
    Well, it wasn’t. And me, going commando like I do, had to stiff leg it across the hall from my office to the bathroom.

Luckily for me, I had on my black khakis.

15. paulhargis53 - Feb 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Cmon 1historian, you know I’m #1. Its cute that you won’t even speak my name.

16. paulhargis53 - Feb 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

How do you know which God I was referring to? It could be Hoser the Gozarian for all you know.

If I’m wasting my time here, what exactly is that you’re doing?

You sir are a moron for even responding to my nonsense.

• blackirish23 - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I once tried having a conversation with my neighbors’ dog to get it used to me. All it did as I talked was walk around in a circle trying to catch it’s tail, sit down, and lick it’s balls.

I must admit it was quite amusing for the first 30 seconds, but it got old pretty quickly……and I’m getting that sense of deja vu all over again with Paul.

So here’s me disengaging from this conversation until another topic comes up where we can have a more intelligent banter.

17. paulhargis53 - Feb 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM

No Bob, you’re irreplaceable. We can go back to the way it was between us if you like…

This is the thanks I get for complimenting you on a post in another story?

And here I thought we had a truce.

Way to go Bob, way to go, and I was all set to leave this site too…

• mediocrebob - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Not sure I follow, Paul. Did I say something wrong?

18. paulhargis53 - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM

If I could lick my balls, I’d never leave the house. I’ve fallen off the couch a couple times trying too.

• getsome99 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Is it the texture or taste that you crave more?

19. ajw21 - Feb 1, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Haha Here I was getting tired of Paul, then he pulls that out. Might be your best post on this site.
    Go Irish!

20. paulhargis53 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I said I tried getsome, I didn’t succeed, can’t you read?

Sounds like you’ve sampled enough to form an expert opinion on the subject.

Why don’t you share with the class, the finer points. Oh, and brush your teeth, semen breath.

• getsome99 - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM

What does your failures have to do with trying? If you enjoy having balls in your mouth, then by all means, keep trying. But wouldn’t it be easier for you to keep doing it to Nudeman. Just curious what your fascination was with licking balls. Sounds gross.