Feb 5, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Woodberry Forest (Cary, NC)
Measurables: 6-3, 225
Accolades: First-team All-Central Virginia linebacker, USA Today All-Virginia team, All-State Division I, 3-Star Rivals, 247Sports
Impressive Offers: Maryland, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, Virginia
Projected Position: Inside Linebacker
Quick Take: Martini kicked off the Irish recruiting class for 2014, committing in early July of 2012, an eternity in the recruiting world. He fit the profile perfectly for Notre Dame at a position of need and with a body type the staff covets.
Playing at the same high school that produced CJ Prosise and Doug Randolph, Martini will likely face a large transition from small-school Virginia football to Notre Dame. But he’s an instinctive athlete, a natural linebacker and he’ll have an open depth chart to compete.
What he means to Irish: Martini started things off for the Irish, and for a while looked like one of the only sure things at inside linebacker, at the time a gaping hole for Notre Dame. While he’s one of the lower rated prospects in the class, a lot of that stems from the fact that Martini committed so early, didn’t take part in any of the national combines and played at a small school.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Martini’s video from UND.com
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 61
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle will (understandably) head into fall camp 12