Feb 5, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Poly Prep (Brooklyn, NY)
Measurables: 6-4, 275
Accolades: USA Today All-New York team, first-team All City by MSG Varsity, Rivals 4-Star
Impressive Offers: Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Michigan,
Projected Position: Defensive Tackle
Quick Take: Hayes was one of the first commitments to the Irish defense, and his lofty offer list begins to point to a prospect that has the ability to be something special. There’s going to be a transition for Hayes from high school to college, but he’s the type of interior offensive lineman that will add depth and could contribute sooner than later.
What he means to Irish: It’s hard to tell how big Hayes is, or will eventually, get. That’ll go a long way towards determining whether he can anchor the defensive line as a two-gap tackle, or play as a more traditional 3-technique, one-gap player. (Both can succeed in Brian VanGorder’s system.)
Either way, he’s a much needed piece to the puzzle that will get a chance to compete for a job from the moment he steps onto campus.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Hayes’ UND.com Signing Day profile, which looks like it was shot in between classes:
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 129
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69