Feb 5, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Poly Prep (Brooklyn, NY)
Measurables: 6-4, 275
Accolades: USA Today All-New York team, first-team All City by MSG Varsity, Rivals 4-Star
Impressive Offers: Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Michigan,
Projected Position: Defensive Tackle
Quick Take: Hayes was one of the first commitments to the Irish defense, and his lofty offer list begins to point to a prospect that has the ability to be something special. There’s going to be a transition for Hayes from high school to college, but he’s the type of interior offensive lineman that will add depth and could contribute sooner than later.
What he means to Irish: It’s hard to tell how big Hayes is, or will eventually, get. That’ll go a long way towards determining whether he can anchor the defensive line as a two-gap tackle, or play as a more traditional 3-technique, one-gap player. (Both can succeed in Brian VanGorder’s system.)
Either way, he’s a much needed piece to the puzzle that will get a chance to compete for a job from the moment he steps onto campus.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Hayes’ UND.com Signing Day profile, which looks like it was shot in between classes:
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 69
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 99
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 232
- Pregame Six Pack: Wildcats in the winter 43
- High stakes struggles: Irish D failing when it counts 89