Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Berrian Springs (Benton Harbor, MI)
Measurables: 6-5, 230
Accolades: AP first-team All-State, Detroit News All-State, Detroit Free-Press All-State Dream Team, Rivals 3-Star prospect
Impressive Offers: Missouri
Projected Position: Defensive End / Outside Linebacker
Quick Take: It’s not hard to see what the Irish coaching staff likes about Williams. The long, lanky, explosive athlete burst onto the scene with a breakout senior season, and immediately gives the Irish a pass rushing threat.
There’s plenty of filling out that needs to be done, but you can’t teach Williams’ length and athleticism. One of the top basketball players in his conference after averaging 17 points a game as a junior, Williams will give up the hard court for the football field, a move that projects to be a smart one.
What he means to Irish: Consider Williams a developmental project. He’s a bit raw right now, but has the makings of an elite pass rusher. There aren’t many athletes on the Irish roster that look like Williams. He’ll add a versatility to the defensive depth chart that may have been lacking.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Williams plays the Rudy notes for his UND.com intro video. Old faithful.
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Syracuse 92
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 31, Syracuse 15 163
- Pregame Six Pack: Syracuse in the way of perfect September 41
- And in that corner… The Syracuse Orange 34
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 130
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61