Feb 5, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Parkway Central (Chesterfield, MO)
Measurables: 6-3, 245
Accolades: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Defensive Player of the Year, MaxPreps All-American 2nd team, first-team All-State Missouri, All-Metro, Suburban South Conference Defensive Player of the Year
Impressive Offers: Missouri, Michigan State, Illinois
Projected Position: Defensive End
Quick Take: Bonner didn’t give Notre Dame’s coaching staff much of a choice, they had to offer him a scholarship after watching him light up their summer camp. An offer that looked almost head-scratching to start with, Bonner dominated elite offensive linemen in camp, then exploded during his senior season, winning just about every award conceivable as he wreaked havoc on opposing offenses.
Bonner could grow into an interior player, but he’s also the type of player that could walk in and compete at defensive end or cat linebacker. A valuable and versatile player.
What he means to Irish: Consider Bonner a good test case for Brian VanGorder. With the Irish defense likely even more multiple that its been in the past, Bonner could operate as a Swiss Army Knife, moving inside or out depending on what’s asked of him.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Bonner’s Signing Day clip from UND.com:
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Syracuse 48
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 31, Syracuse 15 163
- Pregame Six Pack: Syracuse in the way of perfect September 41
- And in that corner… The Syracuse Orange 34
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 130
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61