Feb 5, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Clemens (Schwarz, TX)
Measurables: 6-2, 220
Accolades: First-team All-Area Sub-5A, District 27-4A MVP, Rivals 3-Star, 247Sports 3-Star
Impressive Offers: Texas, Boise State, Colorado, Vanderbilt
Projected Position: LB/DE
Quick Take: Hill shrugged off a late offer from Texas to stay committed to Notre Dame, a nice sign of commitment from one of the fastest rising prospects in Texas. Hill doesn’t fit the traditional profile of a defensive end or linebacker in Notre Dame’s system, but can rush the passer, something the Irish could use.
He’ll immediately provide special teams value and could be a situational pass rusher right off the bat. Feels a bit like Prince Shembo, though he’ll need to add the heft that Shembo developed in his four years in South Bend.
What he means to Irish: A key piece of depth at a linebacker position that is still sorting itself out. Hill is a late bloomer and late target by the Irish, showing a versatility and flexibility by the staff and its evaluators that didn’t necessarily exist in the past. But his athleticism is obvious on film, and bringing that type of athlete into the depth chart is a good addition.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Hill’s UND.com Signing Day video.
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Syracuse 76
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 31, Syracuse 15 163
- Pregame Six Pack: Syracuse in the way of perfect September 41
- And in that corner… The Syracuse Orange 34
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 130
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61