Feb 5, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX)
Measurables: 6-1, 190
Accolades: Under Armour All-American, USA Today All-Texas team, first-team All-State private school D-I, District 1, D-I Defensive MVP, Consensus 4-Star rating
Impressive Offers: Alabama, Texas, Florida State, Baylor, Oklahoma, UCLA, USC
Projected Position: Cornerback
Quick Take: You don’t see offer lists like the one Watkins has, made especially impressive by the fact that he didn’t participate in any of the combines or all-star circuit events until the Under Armour game. Watkins is a smooth cornerback with elite size and good blood lines, the type of player who will come in and play right away.
His ball skills were on display as a receiver last season when he caught 12 touchdown passes, but Watkins is a refined cornerback who has the talent to play and contribute right away.
What he means to Irish: Watkins compares favorably to Cole Luke, who walked in as a freshman and immediately contributed. With Bennett Jackson gone and veteran cornerbacks Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson not necessarily panning out, Watkins expects to challenge for a job right away (as you’ll see in his video below).
It’s hard not to be impressed with the diversity of his abilities and what he’ll immediately bring to the table.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: See Watkins’ UND.com Signing Day video:
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 37
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 103
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18