Feb 5, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL)
Measurables: 6-2, 220
Accolades: First-team All-State, Chicago Tribune. First-team All-Area Chicago Sun Times. Daily Herald All-Area team.
Impressive Offers: Illinois, Missouri, South Florida
Projected Position: Inside Linebacker
Quick Take: One of the later commitments to the Irish, Sykes was offered and evaluated on his senior film at Montini Catholic, where he transferred for his final season of high school football. Notre Dame believes they have an inside linebacker with exciting playmaking ability, an athletic guy who is only just learning the craft of his position.
Viewed as an underrated prospect by the staff, Sykes doesn’t necessarily have the star rating of other prospects, but he was incredibly productive after finding his home at linebacker.
What he means to Irish: A key piece of the reloading puzzle at linebacker, where the Irish need to replace Dan Fox and Carlo Calabrese, and still have to see how Jarrett Grace heals from a nasty injury. Teamed with Nyles Morgan, Notre Dame just locked down two linebackers from the Chicago Tribune’s All-State first team.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Sykes’ UND.com recruiting video.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12