Feb 5, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
St. Joseph by-the-Sea (Staten Island, NY)
Measurables: 6-4, 315
Accolades: First-team New York All-City, New York Daily News All-Catholic All-Star, 3-Star Rivals, 3-Star 247
Impressive Offers: Rutgers, Pitt, UConn
Projected Position: Defensive tackle
Quick Take: For a guy that came onto the scene late for Notre Dame, Mokwuah is tailor-made for the Irish defense. He’s a mammoth guy, and has the size and strength to anchor the interior of the defensive end. A true two-gap nose guard, Mokwuah was a great find by new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder.
He’ll need to make the leap from New York high school football to Notre Dame, but Mokwuah has an open depth chart in front of him and looks like the sleeper of this recruiting class.
What he means to Irish: He’s a critical piece of the recruiting class. With the decommitment of Matt Dickerson, Notre Dame opened up their defensive tackle position, and it’s hard not to see the additions of Cage and Mokwuah as an upgrade.
He’ll be a developmental project for Mike Elston, but he’s a very large piece of clay to work with.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Mokwuah’s video from UND.com:
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12