Feb 5, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
St. Joseph by-the-Sea (Staten Island, NY)
Measurables: 6-4, 315
Accolades: First-team New York All-City, New York Daily News All-Catholic All-Star, 3-Star Rivals, 3-Star 247
Impressive Offers: Rutgers, Pitt, UConn
Projected Position: Defensive tackle
Quick Take: For a guy that came onto the scene late for Notre Dame, Mokwuah is tailor-made for the Irish defense. He’s a mammoth guy, and has the size and strength to anchor the interior of the defensive end. A true two-gap nose guard, Mokwuah was a great find by new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder.
He’ll need to make the leap from New York high school football to Notre Dame, but Mokwuah has an open depth chart in front of him and looks like the sleeper of this recruiting class.
What he means to Irish: He’s a critical piece of the recruiting class. With the decommitment of Matt Dickerson, Notre Dame opened up their defensive tackle position, and it’s hard not to see the additions of Cage and Mokwuah as an upgrade.
He’ll be a developmental project for Mike Elston, but he’s a very large piece of clay to work with.
Obligatory YouTube highlight clip: Here’s Mokwuah’s video from UND.com:
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 66
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 109
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93