Feb 17, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
If there was a complaint over the past few years of Notre Dame recruiting, it’s that Brian Kelly and his staff didn’t do a good enough job in Illinois. With some elite prospects like Laquon Treadwell, Ty Isaac and Ethan Pocic choosing to go elsewhere, the Irish staff seemed to have lost its luster in an area that used to serve as a pipeline to South Bend.
But Notre Dame reemerged as a player in the Chicagoland area this year, landing three prospects from the Chicago Tribune’s first-team All-State team in Nyles Morgan, Nile Sykes and Nic Weishar. After landing zero of the nine players from Illinois on 247Sports.com’s top 247 list, the Irish rebounded nicely, scoring prospects at positions of need on Notre Dame roster, and from Chicagoland schools that once served as feeder programs.
CSN Chicago’s JJ Stankevitz spent some time with “Edgy” Tim O’Halloran, one of the mainstays on the Illinois prep scene, who talked about the work Brian Kelly and the Irish did in this recruiting cycle.
The video is a few days old, but certainly worth a watch if you missed it:
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 26
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 102
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18