Feb 17, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
If there was a complaint over the past few years of Notre Dame recruiting, it’s that Brian Kelly and his staff didn’t do a good enough job in Illinois. With some elite prospects like Laquon Treadwell, Ty Isaac and Ethan Pocic choosing to go elsewhere, the Irish staff seemed to have lost its luster in an area that used to serve as a pipeline to South Bend.
But Notre Dame reemerged as a player in the Chicagoland area this year, landing three prospects from the Chicago Tribune’s first-team All-State team in Nyles Morgan, Nile Sykes and Nic Weishar. After landing zero of the nine players from Illinois on 247Sports.com’s top 247 list, the Irish rebounded nicely, scoring prospects at positions of need on Notre Dame roster, and from Chicagoland schools that once served as feeder programs.
CSN Chicago’s JJ Stankevitz spent some time with “Edgy” Tim O’Halloran, one of the mainstays on the Illinois prep scene, who talked about the work Brian Kelly and the Irish did in this recruiting cycle.
The video is a few days old, but certainly worth a watch if you missed it:
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 32
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 100
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 233