Mayock talks about NFL Draft potential for Irish players

Feb 19, 2014, 4:04 PM EST

mike-mayock-p1

Yesterday, Mike Mayock hosted a conference call with reporters to discuss NFL Draft prospects. The NFL Network draft analyst, who also calls Notre Dame football games with Dan Hicks, held a marathon conference call, a multi-hour event that showcased Mayock’s ridiculous knowledge base.

Throughout the call, Mayock talked about various Notre Dame players that will be taking part in the NFL Scouting combine. Here’s a smattering of what he said.

On Bennett Jackson:

“I think Bennett Jackson is a corner with some length. He’s got to get stronger. He’s got some pretty good movement skills but he’s not an elite speed guy, so he has to use his length to compete on the outside and I think he’s probably going to be mid to late draftable, somewhere in that fifth round or so.”

On the Arizona Cardinals targeting Zack Martin in the first round:

“I think he can play tackle, but the beauty in this kid is he can play all five positions in the NFL and some teams look at him as a Pro Bowl there for playing at tackle doesn’t make much sense. So I think the first part of that question is, I think Zack Martin is going somewhere in that range, plus or minus 20. If he’s available, do the Cardinals buy into him as a tackle.”

On Troy Niklas continuing Notre Dame’s run at Tight End and what he’ll show at the Combine:

“He’s an interesting guy, first of all, because of his size. You’re talking 6 6 and a half, 265, played outside linebacker, his freshman year, converted to tight end. Only had two years of college football at tight end. The first year he had Tyler Eifert who had most of the attention while he was trying to learn the position. So effectively, you’re looking at one year of production as far as catching the football, so I think what he is, if he commits to becoming a good in line blocker, he could be the best blocking tight end in the NFL in two or three years.

“And if I was him, if I was his father or I was his coach, I would try to impress upon him that he should try to become the best blocker he can. He’ll make a lot of money for a lot of years. Secondly he’s a better receiver than people think. He is not Tyler Eifert, he’s not a 4 5 guy, but a 4 8 kind of guy, he can catch the ball short or intermediate, understands how to use his body to position it.

“So I don’t think he’s getting out of the second round because I think there’s a drop off after him. So I think he’ll be a valuable commodity in the second round. I think he’s in between Kyle Rudolph, I think he’s a better blocker than Kyle, but not as good a receiver as Kyle, if that makes sense.”

On Chris Watt:

“I think Watt is a better football player than people have given him credit for in the past. I think he’s a starting guard or center in the league. He’s smart enough, quick enough, tough enough and has the size for center. I gave him a third-round grade as a guard. I think he’s a starting left guard in the NFL.”

On the draft fates of Nix and Stephon Tuitt:

“Regarding Nix, some teams and general managers really like him. He’s a prototypical nose tackle, big kid. He’s got good short area quickness for a 330 pound guy but he had the knee last year, he flashed but didn’t play at a high level all the time. He’s got to be a little bit lighter. He’s got to play at 330.

“So the question is, can he push the edge a little bit; can he gain an edge and push the pocket, and if you believe in that, then he’s probably a top 20 pick because he’s a player 330 pound nose tackle with some movement skills. If you don’t believe that, you can get some pass rush out of him, he probably isn’t a top 20 pick for your team.

“The Stephon Tuitt kid, there’s opinions everywhere, again. Now, this kid had a groin issue coming off 2012. He was a little bit heavy. He’s probably at this point, 6 6, 330 pounds, he’s probably grown into a five technique which is the defensive end in a 3 4. Doesn’t have as much value as a three technique or a 3 4 outside backer. So without getting real technical, I think Stephon Tuitt, if he went somewhere between 25 and 50, it wouldn’t surprise me.”

1. getsome99 - Feb 21, 2014 at 7:47 PM

My point is if you want to be a racist, you’re allowed to be a racist. If you want to say inappropriate things in public for shock value, that’s also your right. But when you get called out on it, just own it instead of trying to pass it off as an attempt at humor (especially when nobody else thought it was funny).

• nudeman - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM

My point is:
      1) you need to STFU.
      2) I need no life advice from you, Mr. Air Pushups in a guy’s face, regardless of what name you’re using, and I’m pretty sure everyone else here feels the same way

2. getsome99 - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Do you take pride in the fact that you’re the biggest douche here?

3. paulhargis53 - Feb 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Nude, I’m here and I’m also offended.

I’m offended that you’re being called the biggest piece of trash here. That’s my title and I want it back!

I cannot believe the uproar over something such as what you posted. Especially when 99% of the posters here have thought the same thing, or way worse.
    I’ve told jokes about blacks way worse than that about blacks. I also ha e several black friends(I know its a cliche) but its true. They also joke to me about whites. No one gets offended. Its amazing what grown ups can accomplish by being mature and knowing what a joke is and when to be offended.

If any of you posters are black and offended by what Nude said, I understand that. If (as I suspect) you are all as lily white as he is, get off your moral high horse.
    There is nothing worse than a white man being offended for the black race. Its up to the blacks, on an individual basis, to deem what is or isn’t offensive to them.

How dare you be that self important to try to tell them what’s offensive or not.

You people and your elitist views on EVERYTHING sicken me. Its part of the reason I came here in the first place. You deserve to be knocked down a. peg or two.

I find it humorous that you “elite ” all knowing people tell us this is a football site and our discussion of religion has no place here, even Keith chimed in on that. Where is he here?
    Save your indignation for something that actually affects you personally.
    What Nude said was mild. This uproar over it is ridiculous. Its just you people trying to feel good about yourselves for standing up for a race that doesn’t need you too. Ugh…

• nudeman - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Paul, how are you? Good morning sir.

Some people here feel it’s their obligation to stand up for the oppressed.
      On a football blog.
      Anonymously.

How brave.

They are the type who incite a wild bar room brawl with an insult from across the room, then sneak out the back when the first punch is thrown. But on Monday morning talk of how they stood up to some biker guy with a wolf tattoed across his face.

All of them have said or written much worse than what I wrote here.
      Because what I wrote wasn’t “mild”. It was “nothing”.
      But this was an opportunity to show their moral superiority, so it couldn’t be passed up.

I have had black friends all my life. The office I’m in today has more than 50% black people.
      Our respective cultural “stuff” and different backgrounds comes up occasionally and we kid each other in a very normal way.

On the other hand, The Great Defenders here (note caps) likely have lived and workd all their lives in white bread settings and think they are great civil rights advocates by tipping a black valet 16% instead of 15%, or heroically reacting to internet comments. On a football blog. Anonymously.

Some like 4horse seemed legit and restrained in their criticism. OK, no prob there.Some like NotreDan laughed at the kerfuffle. And some like you, irishbias, bern, ibleedirish (he had the best comeback, EVER), ajw, and blackirish all see The Great Defenders for what they are: Grandstanding, methane filled phonies. Their names don’t need to be mentioned because they are exactly the ones you’d have expected.

They’re also the ones who when they’re riding in their 2014 Lexus and see a black guy across the street, they glance at the door to make sure it’s locked, then share an uncomfortable laugh with the person in the passenger seat.

Now I’m waiting for one of them to fire back about having had a black friend in the army or having gone to a ballgame once with a black guy or being color blind in terms of who their favorite ND players are.

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

This is just so sad and pathetic

• irish4006 - Feb 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM

What do you mean “you people”?

4. getsome99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

First off, I’m black but was not offended by the initial comment. And I agree that society has become too hypersensitive to political correctness. However, that does not excuse an individual from inappropriate behavior or making inappropriate remarks in public. Nudeman can say whatever he wants and we can form an opinion of him based on his comments and opinions.

Paul Hargis’ defense is everybody makes off color jokes around their friends. That is true. But this is a public forum viewed by total strangers and our anonymity allows us to say things here that we might not normally say in a crowd of total strangers or even in front of some of our friends or family. Taking the 1st amendment/anti-PC stance on Internet blogs is discrediting in itself. If this is a real issue for you and it’s that important, then fight your cause out in the real world. Instead, all you’re doing is going along with it faking your way through life and then coming here to vent how you really feel under a fake identity. Pathetic.

Since nobody here actually knows Nudeman personally, we can only assume this is his way of expressing his bigotry openly since he has to keep it to himself in real life mixed company. If it was meant to be a racial joke, own it and tell everyone to piss off. Don’t back track and say it was taken out of context and then accuse everyone else of being self righteous hypocrites. That would make you a bigot and a hypocrite. Bad combo.

• nudeman - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

1) I don’t believe you’re black. Sorry.
      2) You say you weren’t offended and then say I’m a bigot.

I don’t desire any more back and forth from you on any subject.

• getsome99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Whether you believe I’m black or not is irrelevant. You sound like a bigot to me, but why does that mean I should be offended? Is this your inner bigot telling me what should or shouldn’t offend me. You personally can’t offend me. I’ve been dealing with your boorish antics on this site for over 3 years now and there’s a reason I like to pick on you. First off, you passionately argue your opinions with me about a school that I actually attended. I’m still unsure of your affiliation, Joliet Tech? This is not a diss to die hard fans who didn’t attend Notre Dame, as we know ND nation runs deeper than just the alumni. It’s the fact that you act like such a know it all ass when discussing ND. Top it off with your political rants, which I’m just guessing here, when you never even served in any capacity. This doesn’t make you any less “American”, but it does make you an overopinionated ass who’s done practically nothing, but likes to talk about it like you’re some kind of expert.

I’m sure the only comforting thought you can come up with in your head right now is “but at least I’m white”.

5. getsome99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

If I’m not mistaken Notre Dame has the 3rd most number of players participating at this year’s NFL combine. Alabama 12 and LSU 10. Another indicator of where we stand amongst the elite programs in the country.

Dan Fox should have been #10.

6. knuterocknesghost - Feb 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Excuse me again, and I know most will not return to this particular blog topic, but I don’t think I’m being overzealous about bigoted remarks made here.

Neither of my two kids are white. My wife and I are white, and we had to build our family through foreign adoptions. Both of my kids have been bullied over their race, including physical attacks. This lead to my son developing severe ticks. Both my son and daughter went through counseling because of what they went through. That was only 9 years ago, and after 40 years following the Civil Rights Act being passed into law I never would have thought this was something we’d have to confront as parents of two minority kids.

Unlike the sentiments of Nude and his acolytes expressed here that are typical of too many whites who have never experienced such bias, I didn’t tell my kids that they need to “just get over it.” How could I ever tell them that? Do you really expect that I should?

And sorry if I bring this up here on this blog …. but just when has it become the official norm or custom to treat digital, public communities like this one as a safe haven for remarks laced with racism or bigotry and so entitle the speaker/blogger to be given a free pass?

As far as my being accused of standing out against imbecilic retrograde remarks and mentality with the benefit of anonymity, what’s worse in terms of lacking any courage: Standing up for what’s right, or making bigoted remarks, even if in jest, that are made just as anonymously?

In the times I have had to stand up for and defend my children and confront other parents and school administrators, anonymity was the last and farthest thing I wanted or had in those encounters.

Sorry to see so many here wanting to treat this as if it was nothing serious at all and wanting me to just go away. I know people think sports is where we should be allowed to be distracted from everyday concerns, but that too cannot be an excuse to allow bigotry go unremarked even when people are discussing sports. I am glad, however, that some others see the need as I did to speak up.

And contrary to Nude’s thinking that Keith sanctioned his remarks as being socially acceptable by not deleting them, I think that Keith did not delete his obnoxious post using the Stepin Fetchit dialect because he saw the discussion turn to justified criticism over Nude’s remarks, and the chain of criticism that followed could not have been understood without his leaving Nude’s post up.

I don’t expect there will be any apology forthcoming for the offensive post, because the mind that produced it thinks stuff like this is harmless. Well, that mind hasn’t a clue and doesn’t realize it should have focused on denying the accuracy of Mr. Atkins’ remarks, and that it could even mention that Atkins was drunk, but without resorting to a racial deprecation of him by characterizing his speech as being that of an uneducated poor black man.

Now grown up, my kids don’t “just get over it”, they speak out. And, with apologies to those who don’t care that much, so will I.

7. paulhargis53 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

1st off, I’m sorry you’re kids have had to deal with bullying. That sucks, they ate just kids.

We here, on a sports blog, are not. What nude did was not offensive. He was at worst paraphrasing what Mr. Atkinson said. He(Atkinson) happened to speak in the shuck and jive mode of communication. Ate we that hypersensitive that wecas whitesvarent allowed to talk like that to prove a point?

I also have a hard time comparing what Nude said to something like the “N” word.(That it has to be typed liked that is idiotic.)
    Yet you can turn on Sirius XM and hear black rappers spewing this word sometimes 80+ times in a song.
    If this is such a bad and hateful word, why is a section of the black poulation embracing it?
    Where is the indignation at that?

Long story short, you guys are crucifying Nude for no real good reason.
    Did Atkinson speak that way or not? Why cant that be made light of? That’s like me being from the Midwest and being offended by the movie Fargo. Its silly if you ask me.
    We as a society have gotten to the point where our differences can’t be pointed out anymore without it being deemed bullying or hate speech. When in fact, we are all different.
    Getsome, if you are actually black, and are offended , I get it. I think it has more to do with who said it, than what was said though.
    The rest if you white people can save your indignation. You weren’t really offended, you’re trying to make yourself look good, or to feel better about yourself.
    I’m Norweigan, I hear dumb jokes about that daily. Am I offended? No, I take it for what it is, a GD joke! Why are we handling other things with kid gloves? Its not ok to call someone gay in jest, but its ok to say Norwegians are stupid? But its only a harmless joke, right?

I’m not a racist , if you want to brand me one for my take on things, feel free. I couldn’t care less what you think of me.

Nude, I guess im one of your “acolytes”. I didn’t see the harm in what you posted. That’s how the guy talked, you paraphrased it.

That you have to apologize to a bunch of white people for typing something .0000001 off color is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

8. getsome99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Half black, half Asian actually. Dad is 70% at best but according to Nude’s Great Granddaddies, that makes me black. I’m not easily offended and with my background, obviously had to overcome multiple types of racial prejudices all my life. But it is also important to differentiate between hate and just plain ignorant fun. Nudeman is a notorious instigator so he doesn’t get the benefit of doubt. The guy is a social burnout turned Internet catfish.

9. blackirish23 - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Friday August 29th, after the pep rally, pick a watering hole of your choice in South Bend, Indiana. First round of drinks and shots are on me (sorry dick, no lines).

In the meantime, check out the NFL combine. TJ Jones is opening some eyes.

Let’s go Irish!!!