Golson returns to the practice field

Mar 3, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Everett Golson is finally back where he belongs. After a season away from the Irish, Golson took his first snaps with the football program Monday morning and addressed the media after the team’s first spring practice.

While he didn’t want to rehash the situation that forced him away from the program for a season, Golson reflected on the experience and how it will help him moving forward.

“I knew I messed up,” Golson said Monday. “For me, I had to come back and complete what I started.”

After a long season away, Golson is back where he started, with expectations still as lofty as ever. Entering  his senior year at Notre Dame (Golson has two seasons of eligibility remaining), he’s able to look back and see some silver lining in a situation that once seemed very dire.

“I regret it in a sense, but I think it allowed me to grow so much,” Golson said. “My maturity level is completely different now. I had some time to sit back and really think on what I did and how I can move forward from that. I think I’m a different person because of it.”

Golson looks like a different person. He’s carrying 15 additional pounds on his frame, looking more like an upperclassman than a high school point guard. He’ll also be working with a much different team than the one he left.

Missing are nine of the 10 leading receivers from the 2012 team. Only Christian Lombard returns to his offensive line. His offensive coordinator is gone, with Chuck Martin coaching at Miami (Ohio). And new quarterback coach Matt LaFleur is working with Golson for the first time.

Golson acknowledged those changes, but sounded upbeat about the players that surround him.

“I like the team,” Golson said. “I like our wide receivers and our O-linemen as well. Yes, I’m throwing to a lot of new guys… I really like the skill group that we have here.”

For the offense, Golson’s chemistry with his teammates is the main objective during these 15 practices. With talented yet unproven receivers, a running back depth chart that features two young backs and a mostly anonymous tight end position, this spring will be about building trust between the leader of the offense and his troops.

Off the field, Golson also needs to continue to work in the classroom, an adjustment that’s gone well so far this semester. The quarterback talked about returning to school, having nothing but praise for the open arms that welcomed him back on campus.

“I feel a little rejuvenated,” Golson said of his studies. “It’s been good. The teachers and professors are really receptive of me. Everything is going swell in there.”

At this point in his career, Golson is no longer a young player bursting with potential. He’s a building block needed for success. With six long months until the 2014 season arrives, he’s taking things day by day, an approach that meshes with Brian Kelly’s as well.

“As it’s always been, it’s me bettering myself in order to better this team,” Golson said. “That’s what I try to strive for, even when I first got here.”

1. don74 - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

And Nude rejoices………….. and so do we as the rant has ended.

• NotreDan - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Its funny that you mention his name.

2. don74 - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Watched the interview. He looked poised, confident and ready to go.

His maturity showed.

Good luck to him and hope he continues on the path.

3. cpfirish - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Where can we go to watch practice
    Highlights, anybody know??

• dillonbigred - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I only know of the short clips on und.com, many of which Keith puts on this site.

• padomer6675 - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I too was hoping for the overanalyzing of the practice clips.

• don74 - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM

und.com

• onward2victory - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Go to the YouTube channel WatchND. That’s the official ND video channel. Irish Illustrated and Blue and Gold Illustrated also put up videos today.

4. irish4006 - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Really, really excited to see what he will bring this year. He has the arm, the feet and a number of young but promising, fast receivers.

Welcome back, Mr. Golson! We missed you.

5. ndfenian - Mar 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM

“THE RETURN”! It’s like Owen Roe O’Neill returning from exile in the Spanish army to lead the Irish against the English once again! Our leader is back! Fightin’ Irish history reference, anybody? no? lol

6. vicpaul - Mar 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Was he still wearing his shoulder pads under that golf shirt? Looks to be in great shape. These 15 practices are going to be huge for the development of Golson and this whole offense. Can’t wait for August!!!

7. mediocrebob - Mar 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I’ve missed this young man. A lot.

8. fnc111 - Mar 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

My prayers for him to grow a few inches evidently weren’t answered.

9. irishdog80 - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I am looking forward to seeing ND play on a full sized football field on offense again this year. No more, 8 in the box and safeties creeping up. Everyone will have to cover the whole field now.

“Completing what he started…” sounds like an ND Degree and a National Championship to me.

Go Irish!

10. cpfirish - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Dam welcome back EG!! Excited for this season! We have a duel threat QB with speed on the outside, with two elite running backs, with a great o-line! Wow watch out!!

11. fitz79 - Mar 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Ladies and gentlemen… I give your next 2014 Heismen trophy winner.

• irish4006 - Mar 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

If he plays like, say, number 17th (or 37th) on the Heisman ballot, ND will have a great year… :-)

12. viktory2013 - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

This season will be an entirely different animal. The running backs and offensive line won’t be running into 8 men crammed into the box. The defense won’t have to constantly bail out the offense’s mistakes. Opposing defenses won’t have to only worry about 2 or 3 plays, and will dread planning for ND. It’s a domino effect and it all starts with an electric, unpredictable QB.

13. cajunirish - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Anyone else remember that there is another elite, dual threat QB on the roster?

• irishdog80 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM

it’s great, isn’t it? Golson got banged up a bit in 2012. At worst if Zaire has to take over, he will be like Golson was in 2012. I’m OK with that option.