Big Lou looks back on Notre Dame

Mar 12, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT

Louis Nix, Steve Elmer

Louis Nix appeared on the Jim Rome Show this morning and as you might have guessed, he didn’t disappoint.

In under 11 minutes, Nix and Rome touched on all the greatest hits, everything from his tough upbringing in Jacksonville, his decision to come to Notre Dame, the disappointment that came from an injury plagued senior season and his broad jumping skills at the NFL Combine.

While you need to be a Jungle Insider to hear the entire interview, here are a few snippets from Big Lou’s appearance.

On living the Irish Chocolate lifestyle:

“The Irish Chocolate lifestyle is just being yourself, being motivated,” Nix told Rome. “Being that guy that everybody loves. Try your best to be a humble, friendly, passionate guy. I try to be the guy that’s the mood for the room, that keeps a smile on everybody’s face. But when it’s time to get serious, I get serious.”

On going viral as he attempted to stick the landing in the broad jump.

source:

“At first, I didn’t know it was happening,” Nix said of his broad jump performance. “I landed and I thought I was fine and then I started going backwards, and then I was like, ‘Wow, I’m falling… Timber.’

“I saw the video. I thought it was funny. I didn’t like the cameraman’s over-exaggeration of my fall. He started making the camera shake like I was an earthquake or something. I didn’t like that.”

***

Nix also talked about the disappointment of finishing his career with an injury plagued senior season, one cut short by a knee injury that forced him to sit out Senior Day and end his season early.

“It got frustrating. I wanted to be one of those top defensive tackles. I wanted to be a consensus All-American. I wanted to win a Lombardi and Outland and those types of trophies,” Nix told Rome. “I had my goals set for the future and the seasons and that didn’t happen, but I had to stay motivated, I couldn’t just say I’ve got this injury and I’m done. I needed to get better and get back to where I wanted to be. I have new goals set for myself and I just want to be a better defensive tackle than I was yesterday.”

Of course, Nix joked about feeling and looking sexier than ever, courtesy of a svelte 325-pound frame that he’s now carrying around. Nix credited a lot of kale salads and eating gluten free, though he wasn’t exactly sure what that meant.

(Me neither.)

“I feel sexy. I feel great. It’s a process. You have to eat right. I want to feel better about myself and my body,” Nix said. “I feel like I’ve got a six-pack. It’s kinda covered by my protective stomach, but I’m feeling sexy about myself and I want to keep it going.”

While he left a fifth year on the table, Nix leaves South Bend with a degree and will likely be a first round draft pick come May. It’s a wonderfully validating success story for a kid that chose a Notre Dame even without a head coach.

“At the time, when I did commit without a coach, I was told it was the dumbest decision ever,” Nix said. “But I wasn’t committing to a coach, I was committing to the university. I wanted that challenge in my life. I wanted something different for myself outside of Jacksonville, Florida. I took that risk and I think it came out to be one of the best decisions in my life.”

Special thanks to Dave Whelan and the rest of the XR4TI crew for the audio.

1. dickasman - Mar 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I feel sexy too but it’s because I really do have a 6 pack abs.

• papadec - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I have a pony keg – bought & paid for over many years.

• dickasman - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:03 AM

I already knew you had a kegger popski. Half barrel I bet?

• papadec - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Nothing 1/2 way, Dick, nothing 1/2 way.

2. tedlinko - Mar 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Classy all the way. Gonna miss this kid in an Irish uniform but expect him to have lots of success at the next level.

• 1historian - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM

betcha the Pats want him big time with Wilfork wanting out of town

3. onward2victory - Mar 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Haha I’ll have to see if my wife buys into that “protective stomach over my six pack” line, too. Brilliant.

• dickasman - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Is that like a foreskin for stomach or what?

4. cajunirish - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM

He’ll be missed at Notre Dame, but the way he always handled himself made me a Nix fan for life.

5. fnc111 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM

The Louis Nix story would be perfect to showcase to future southern recruits .

6. upthera44 - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Nix is the man.

7. largebush - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

nix isn’t a bad guy at all but i don’t see huge nfl things for him. how many 330-350 guys last more than a few years? overrated too. how many sacks and time spent in backfield. not much boys. not much. got lots of attention because of his personality or is it just me.

• ndfaithful - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I think it’s just you. I don’t mean that to sound harsh, but when he was healthy, he was one of the few nosetackles in CFB that could push thru two defenders and wreak havoc in the backfield. He spent a lot of time back there.

• largebush - Mar 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

we disagree i guess. but peace to you my friend. i’m goign to dial it back a notch here. unless i start getting attacked again.

• mcirish27 - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m reminded of a quote from one of the best head coaches in the country who said, “Stephon Tuitt is one of the three top defensive linemen in the nation. He’s phenomenal,” Shaw said, before paying Louis Nix the ultimate compliment. “The best defensive lineman in the nation didn’t play tonight.”

• largebush - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

well as we know everything shaw says is the oracle. you’re a dummy. remember what a beating he took last yr for hsi playcalling on the goal line? its one mans opinion. if nix was the nations best dl thn it was a bad year, that is a fact.

• largebush - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM

and there is nothing phenonemal about tuitt expcpt the potential he had 3 years ago. didn’t live up to it. youguys need to let it go. they are gone.

• mcirish27 - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM

“Calmer ‘an you are.” – Walter Sobczak

• mediocrebob - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM

BJ Raji, Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Isaac Sopoaga, Shaun Cody just to name a few. All with somewhat similar body types coming out of college, and all play or have played over the center in their career.

That’s just naming a few who have lasted more than “a few years”. You’re really bad at this. Hope you and your parents are enjoying Wally World.

• nudeman - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Now I must say my friend that as pretty good. Wally world. Always loved chevey cchase. Would give my left arm to meet him

• NotreDan - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Brother nude… *ahem*

• dickasman - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Speaking of sacks, how much sex you think he’ll have in his rookie year?

• dickasman - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Large, don’t be such a sissy! Cheesis Christ you re like tommy Rees btchy little sister.

8. jem5b - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Louis Nix is on my pantheon of outstanding young men at Our Lady’s University. Terrific individual, ballplayer, and genuine friendly/humorous kid.

• dickasman - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I’m like the Louis Nix of inside the irish. How come nobody me likey???

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Dude, I read your stuff first. Always gives me a laugh. Don’t stop.

9. mickcolins - Mar 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Large bush, you obviously don’t know what a nose tackles job in a 3-4 is. Nix’s junior year was a phenomenal one. He was hurt as a senior but every 3-4 team in the nfl would take Louis Nix.

10. danirish - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

As a Bears fan I would love it if he ended up a Bear. They could use some big bodies in the middle.

BUT what really hurts me is that one of my favorite players from Notre Dame signed a 5 year contract with Detroit!

WHY GOD WHY?!

WHY GOLDEN WHY?!

Tate and Megatron on the field together! DARN!

• papadec - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

dan – because they were willing to come up with the money. I’m glad he was able to get a Championship ring, here in Seattle, before he left.

• danirish - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I know, it will be hard to cheer against Tate, one of my favs from ND.

Nice season in Seattle – it was fun to watch the Seahawks this year. Not a fan, but have nothing against them. Congrats!

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I have nothing against Seattle either but still dislike their coach. I don’t know what it is but I see his face and I want to give him an elbow right to the suckhole.

• papadec - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM

joisey – Golden was the only reason I rooted for Seattle – for exactly the reason you state – I can’t stand Pete C. Now there is no reason to root for them – especially that 12th man BS.

11. whodabigdog - Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I have a question. What irish song do they play on the pa in the 4th qt? I think its a Dropkick Murphy song. Its not “Im shipping up to Boston”.

• bernhtp - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I’m shipping up to Boston is played right before kickoff and, I think, in the fourth Q.The William Tell Overture is played at the end of 3rd Q before Officer McCarthy gives his travel advisory.