Rashad Kinlaw dismissed from Notre Dame football program

Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 PM EST

Matt Cashore / Irish Illustrated Matt Cashore / Irish Illustrated

Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly announced that rising sophomore Rashad Kinlaw was dismissed from the program. The cornerback from New Jersey had been participating in spring practice up until this point, but is no longer a part of the football team.

“From my perspective, from a football perspective, he didn’t live up to the rules within our football program,” Kelly said after Friday’s practice.

Kinlaw didn’t play in 2013, spending much of the season working with the scout team as a quarterback. The 5-foot-11, 191-pound cornerback was fighting for playing time this spring, working behind starters KeiVarae Russell and Cole Luke, and nickel back Matthias Farley.

On the field, the loss won’t be felt immediately. But Kinlaw earned rave reviews as an athlete during his recruitment, though his junior and senior seasons of high school football were cut short by leg injuries.

Seniors Josh Atkinson and Jalen Brown will likely slide up the depth chart. Sophomore Devin Butler was seen practicing earlier this week as well, though held from contact after offseason shoulder surgery. Florida transfer Cody Riggs joins the program this summer and should immediately contribute, likely starting opposite Russell, or playing in the slot.

The South Bend Tribune confirmed that Kinlaw is still enrolled in school.

1. alsatiannd - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM

What is so bad to get kicked off the team, but not bad enough to get kicked out of school. The mind races. Does dismiss mean no scholarship anymore either?

• danirish - Apr 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Please, shut up…

2. alsatiannd - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM

What is so bad to get kicked off the team, but not bad enough to get kicked out of school? The mind races. Does dismiss mean no scholarship anymore either?

3. theunicaller - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Are you familiar with “The Next episode” and Nate Dogg’s famous closing line?

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

dick, I swear your comments are purely satire. They’d have to be because, if you mean the crap that you throw out on a regular basis, then you’re doing Republicans a disservice. I’m not a Republican, and I’m telling you this. Just stop with the politics. Your conservative friends are cringing.

• ibleedirish - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Actually, anybody of reasonable intelligence and emotional maturity would never cringe because of an anonymous post on the internet. But, sadly, those type of people are increasingly rare these days, so I guess you may have a point.

4. mtflsmitty - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Bern? Anyone else have any inside knowledge? My 100% guess is ongoing bad attitude capped off by some significant team rules infraction or insubordination.

If dismissed from the team, I suspect he’ll be able to go elsewhere without mandatory year off. Is that right? Diaco probably already calling his folks.

5. onward2victory - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Must have texted his family at the wrong time.

6. mediocrebob - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Excited to see Dick’s thoughts…

7. irishbornraised - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Wo

8. irishbornraised - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

THIS IS BEING DELETED BECAUSE IT’S MERELY POSTING RUMORS.

9. papadec - Apr 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Whatever the reason, it’s between BK, ND, the student & his family.

10. Keith Arnold - Apr 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I’ve just deleted all of Dickasman’s comments. They are all fairly stupid and bring no value, so I’m not feeling too terrible about it.

Please realize this isn’t a site monitored by anybody but me. So you’re really just making my life more difficult when you write things that slip through the comment filters and end up polluting this page.

I love some of the comments on here. But please try and contribute something POSITIVE to the discussion. Not just racist, sexist, politicized garbage.

Thanks,
    Keith

• NotreDan - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Amen. Thank you, and god bless you.

11. yllibnosredna - Apr 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I’m just thrilled it’s actually not a key player. [Knock on wood] I am pleasantly surprised to see how this off-season has thus far not been rife with one set-back after another. It’s still early, but I can’t recall any significant bad news since the D. Daniels suspension (which could actually be a blessing in disguise). How refreshing would it be to see this program not sh..t the bed or curtail its chances for success between January and August for a change. Only 5 more months to go.

12. mdp44 - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Dicks comments make me laugh, even if they are stupid most of the time.

13. papadec - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Some of Dick’s comments are funny, and I have had some fun at his expense, responding to his comments. Believe it, or not, he has actually cleaned his act up somewhat, in the past year or so. BUT, he does have a tendency to be………. welllllll Dick. I miss the nudeman & wish he’d post again. I hope he is at least visiting & reading.

14. jamil609 - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Hello for the record Rashad will be getting transferred

15. fnc111 - Apr 5, 2014 at 5:32 AM

TOS said he stole $600 from Will Mahone.

16. viktory2013 - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

To be honest, I wasn’t even aware this kid was part of the team.
    Still can’t understand why everyone gets so worked up by a bunch of middle aged (or older!) guys chatting about ND football. Some of us say goofy or annoying things…no big deal. We’ve heard worse.

17. irishdog80 - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Word is that Kinlaw was not a very good room mate to have and it was not getting better even though he had a chance to make it better.

18. sweetcandy900025 - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Yea I have inside details. Failing grades, stealing from Will Mahone and failed drug test….