Live Blog — 85th Annual Blue-Gold game

Apr 12, 2014, 12:07 PM EST

Getty Images - Jonathan Daniel Getty Images

Welcome back, folks!

It feels like forever since we gathered in late December to watch the Irish finish the season in rather painful fashion against Rutgers in the House that Steinbrenner built. But spring has sprung, and the Irish have completed 14 spring practices, with Everett Golson and new coordinators on both sides of the ball reenergizing things.

If you missed the link in our last story, you’ll have multiple options to watch the 85th annual Blue-Gold game. The game is live on NBCSN, starting at 12:30 p.m. EDT. It’s also streaming live here at NBCSports.com.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE GAME.

Stick around and chat. It’s been a while!

Slightly modified chat rules for today. If you’re bringing great material, it’s getting published. So that should turn this more into a fun conversation than a strict play by play recap.

1. fnc111 - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I worry about a major amount of injuries today. The field looks Division 3 worthy.

2. papadec - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I should have known better than to believe I’d actually be able to see the game “live streamed”. Two easy steps – what a joke! Setup an account with NBC – then I still couldn’t get it.

• onward2victory - Apr 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Do you have an iPhone or iPad? The NBCsports ap works great on them.

• johnnybobanni - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM

The apps only work if you are a tv subscriber.

• papadec - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

No iPhone or iPad – just a simple cell phone. I’m just a 70 year old dinosaur being pulled, kicking & screaming into the 21st century. Yankee/Red Sox game is on FS1 – that was going to be my alternate viewing plan – no go, same deal – not a subscriber there either. So, at least I can follow that game via play-by-play at espn. Probably just as well – I should be beating back the jungle of weeds that was once a backyard.

3. mtflsmitty - Apr 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Wow! Let the QB controversy begin.

Again, it’s a scrimmage. But Golstein looks sloppy, while MZ looks focused and efficient.

4. getsome99 - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Both QB’s will play plenty. It’s going to be a long, tough season to get to the playoff and we’ll need both to be ready so neither has to play hurt. Thank God for that beast at RT as he will be key in protecting the lefty’s blindside.

As expected, there will be angry fans who are still not satisfied. Last year it was because we had no QB’s. This year, we have too many.

5. Rbmat - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Call me a conspiracy theorist but do you think Jack S told the grounds crew “I am announcing the change to Field Turf, don’t try anything to make the field look better. In fact let’s make it as brown as possible”. Granted I don’t get NBCSports Network in HD but my first comment when the broadcast came on was, “good lord, what happened to the field?”

Got to love Jack’s comments to AF as to why the change – “commencement killed it the last 2 years”. I almost coughed a diet coke thru my nose as I laughed. Better yet as to why we can’t go to the hybrid like they have in Green Bay – “it’s too expensive”. Please…………

Why not be straight up and say it this way “my coach wants to play fast and grass isn’t cutting it”…..

On a totally different note if we can’t punt in a scrimmage it’s going to be a long season

• tucsonfan - Apr 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Good grief, you sound like the idiots over ar NDNation calling everyone liars and making the same conspiracy claim.

What difference does it make what we play on so long as we win? And what’s wrong with playing fast?

• Rbmat - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM